Charmeleon Meets Deathclaw In Pokémon New Vegas

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Charmeleon Meets Deathclaw In Pokémon New Vegas

It was inevitable; A clever modder has merged the virtual worlds of Pokémon and Fallout: New Vegas.

As you can see in the attached video, the Pokémon New Vegas mod gives players the ability to toss Pokéballs in the burned-out wastes of Bethesda Softworks' open-world roleplaying epic.

As any Pokéfan would expect, these balls, on impact, burst open to reveal one of the mod's 10 pocket monsters. Granted, for the most part, they're actually creatures from the Fallout: New Vegas world with aesthetic alterations to bring them closer to Nintendo's creature line up, but it doesn't take a huge suspension of disbelief to accept these things as friends.

Once released, the would-be Pokémon function in much the same way as New Vegas' companions. They follow the player around, occasionally make noises, and attack anything that seems threatening.

The really impressive bit here is that when these creatures attack, the result is far more bombastic than anything you'll find in Pokémon Black. Yeah, that's likely the result of the technological limitations of the Nintendo DS, but watching that Charmeleon analogue spew a gout of fire across the carapace of a radscorpion just made me so happy.

Don't get me wrong, I love laser pistols, power fists and gauss rifles as much as the next Fallout fanboy, but not since the days of the original Dogmeat have I felt this kind of maniacal pride in a Fallout companion. There was real love in that blast of incendiary spit, I could tell.

If you own the PC version of Fallout: New Vegas, the mod's creator has written up full instructions on how you too can enjoy his creation [http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40745].

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Mods like this are so cool, why couldn't this sort of thing be on the Xbox 360? Replayability would shoot through the roof.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
JoJoDeathunter said:
Mods like this are so cool, why couldn't this sort of thing be on the Xbox 360? Replayability would shoot through the roof.
Blame Mircosoft... They don't like people having such options.

Apr 28, 2008
Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

And yes, I will be playing the original intro song on repeat.

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
Half of them I didn't even recognize what they were supposed to be. Also, I love how you made your character dressed like Ash.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Awesome, I wasn't expecting so many different Poke'mon.

Makes me want a full 3D Poke'mon game even more.

RielleLynn

Jun 9, 2010
A Weary Exile said:

Poke'mon Coliseum and Coliseum XD weren't bad games.

This mod though is amazing. It almost makes me want to install New Vegas again...but I would probably play with the mod for an hour and not bother again. It looks really interesting, but NV bores me anymore.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Dracowrath said:
Half of them I didn't even recognize what they were supposed to be. Also, I love how you made your character dressed like Ash.
From what I can tell, they're:
Coyote - Growlithe/Arcanine
Gecko - Charmilion
Mutant - Machoke
Praying Mantis - Scyther
Blowfly - Beedrill
Centaur - Lickitongue
Dude - Hitmochan
Crab - not sure
Bipedal Thing - Kangaskan I think
Purple Deathclaw - not sure

(yes, I'm well aware that I probably spelled most of the pokemon names wrong)
And I first saw this on ICanHasCheeseburger last night, but it's still nice to see it again.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
EternalModder said:
A Weary Exile said:

This mod though is amazing. It almost makes me want to install New Vegas again...but I would probably play with the mod for an hour and not bother again. It looks really interesting, but NV bores me anymore.
I mean games where you go out into wild and catch them (Like the Gameboy games) but also get to have full 3D battles (Like Coliseum).

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
The only one I didn't recognize was the Deathclaw and the Centaur.
What was that? A Lickitung?

Otherwise, really cool!

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
soren7550 said:
Dracowrath said:
Gecko - Charmilion
Mutant - Machoke
Praying Mantis - Scyther
Blowfly - Beedrill
Centaur - Lickitongue
Dude - Hitmochan
Crab - not sure

And I first saw this on ICanHasCheeseburger last night, but it's still nice to see it again.
The Mirelurk was a Kabutops. I thought the coyote looked more like a Linoone than a Growlithe, but then, that isn't Gen 1 and everything else was.

I'm still confused about the Centaur and Deathclaw.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
VanTesla said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
Blame Mircosoft... They don't like people having such options.
Yeah, probably means I'd play games for longer, so by their logic I'd buy less games :-(

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
So let me get this straight: You shoot the critters with a gun to make them retreat into their pokéball? A happy world, indeed. :p

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I love how to return them to their pokeball you blow their freakin head off. Would've made the animated pokemon shows so much more watchable. Now if only he made the proper models this mod would be the greatest thing ever.

Ash: Charmeleon, return! *cocks shotgun*

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
EternalModder said:
A Weary Exile said:

HOLY CRAP! You remember those gems?! POWER TO THE GAMECUBE MAH BROTHER! But in all seriousness, I feel like a total nerd for knowing WHICH Fallout beastie was supposed to be. EXCEPT for the Wolf thing. Eevee is my best guess, since it looks primarily like all Gen 1 Pokemon. But it could easily be Houndoom, Poochyena, or maybe even Arcanine.

Walter Sobchak

Feb 27, 2011
Prof. Monkeypox said:
soren7550 said:
Dracowrath said:
Gecko - Charmilion
Mutant - Machoke
Praying Mantis - Scyther
Blowfly - Beedrill
Centaur - Lickitongue
Dude - Hitmochan
Crab - not sure

The Mirelurk was a Kabutops. I thought the coyote looked more like a Linoone than a Growlithe, but then, that isn't Gen 1 and everything else was.

Centaur- Ditto
Deathclaw -nidoking
Does anyone know what the kangaskan was made out of

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Irridium said:
Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

And yes, I will be playing the original intro song on repeat.

OT: I wish i had a comp that could play New Vegas I wana play this so much D:

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Walter Sobchak said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
soren7550 said:
Dracowrath said:
Gecko - Charmilion
Mutant - Machoke
Praying Mantis - Scyther
Blowfly - Beedrill
Centaur - Lickitongue
Dude - Hitmochan
Crab - not sure

Centaur- Ditto
Deathclaw -nidoking
Does anyone know what the kangaskan was made out of
I believe that the coyote is actually vulpix, but growlithe makes a fair amount of sense too