Gears of War 3 Campaign DLC Won't Star Delta Squad

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
Gears of War 3 Campaign DLC Won't Star Delta Squad

Grand Theft Auto and Borderlands are Epic's main influence when it comes to add-on content.

Epic doesn't want to be done with Gears of War. The third game in the trilogy probably won't be the last we see of it if designer Cliff Bleszinski has anything to say about it. Before we get too excited about a first-person spinoff, the developer wants us to focus on the immediate future, where Gears of War 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316528759&sr=8-1] will see a campaign expansion starring ... somebody else. Marcus, Cole, and Dom won't be playable in whatever Epic is currently working on.

"I believe that DLC should be unique and cool, like Mad Moxie's Underdome Riot [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Damned/dp/B004BSF3I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316529159&sr=8-1]," he said. "DLC's the place where you play and have fun. So that's one thing that's an indication of where things may be going in the future."

Let the rampant speculation begin. Is the apocalyptic, sad tone of Gears 3 getting chucked to the wayside in favor of something more jovial? Will we see a full-length campaign add-on like the Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B0045EI7I4/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1316529275&sr=1-5] DLCs referenced? No matter how you slice it, we're leaving our main connections to the Gears world behind. The game's "Brothers to the End" tagline is serious, it seems.

Bleszinski is also adamant that this doesn't indicate the end of the Gears franchise. He emphasizes that end of the trilogy is not indicative of the end of the series. Where would it go from here? Epic could do anything it wants to, really, but is "limited by our bandwidth," Bleszinski said.

Gears of War 3 is available today.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-news/8774203/Gears-of-War-3-interview-Cliff-Bleszinski.html]

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i think that they should focus on someone in the gears universe that isnt a large gritty soldier. how about a stranded who cant really fight but is trying to do what he/she can?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
when i started the game up last night i saw DLC under campaign, kinda wondered what that was for. can't wait for it! but i wouldn't mind waiting, i've hardly gotten a chance to play the game yet.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
MitchyD said:
"I believe that DLC should be unique and cool, like Mad Moxie's Underdome Riot [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Damned/dp/B004BSF3I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316529159&sr=8-1]," he said. "DLC's the place where you play and have fun. So that's one thing that's an indication of where things may be going in the future."
This paragraph in particular makes me a bit . . . worried. "DLC's the place where you play and have fun"? Really? What about the actual game that you spent a year and a half/two years developing? That's not where we have fun? That shouldn't be "unique and cool"? You know, games did just fine before DLC and multi-player became "necessary" for every single damn one of them, why can't developers realize that there are still some people who want a hefty, long, involved single-player campaign that isn't released in tiny, bite-sized $15 chunks every six months?

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
Given his Moxie example, I wonder if they aren't trying something...arena-y in the campaign. The gladiatorial stuff sounds more like the "play and have fun" than a new story would.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
This paragraph in particular makes me a bit . . . worried. "DLC's the place where you play and have fun"? Really? What about the actual game that you spent a year and a half/two years developing? That's not where we have fun? That shouldn't be "unique and cool"? You know, games did just fine before DLC and multi-player became "necessary" for every single damn one of them, why can't developers realize that there are still some people who want a hefty, long, involved single-player campaign that isn't released in tiny, bite-sized $15 chunks every six months?
Come on, its CliffyB He is just a big exited man child, and doesn't really put much thought into what he is saying, so you might not want to over analise it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I like the sound of this. It makes no sense to expand on whatever conclusion the game's plot has; that would be anticlimactic, and would frankly make no sense. However, looking at the same war from another soldier's perspective would be a lot more insightful, without screwing up what was established by the main campaign.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ksn0va said:
Mad Moxie? Not really the best example.
Yea, why did he list all the most overpriced dlc from this generation. Mad Moxxi was the only Borderlands DLC that wasn't a great deal. Then you have the $20 mission packs from gta4.
So I'm imagining that the dlc will be massively overpriced droning of recycled resources from the original release?

Why is he warning people?

Druyn

May 6, 2010
I don;t know about the examples given, but I like where he is going with it. Advertising the whole game as the end, as closing the door on the story, then coming back afterward sand saying "Oh wait, that wasn't everything" is a little annoying. This keeps the book closed, while at the same time (possibly) letting them test out new characters or a new story line for future games. Guess Ill have to wait and see.