Sony Exec Responds to Nintendo's 3DS "Responses"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony Exec Responds to Nintendo's 3DS "Responses"

Nintendo's 3DS price cut and analog stick addon seem poised to compete with the PS Vita.

The PS Vita might just be the handheld gaming device that could unseat Nintendo's substantial lead in the market. Nintendo's continued sales lead - having sold 147.86 million units worldwide since the DS debut in 2004 - is threatened by the second analog stick to the control scheme [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112089-Price-Cut-Announcement-Halves-3DS-Sales] similar to the PS Vita, ostensibly for Capcom's Monster Hunter 3G, but Sony Computer Entertainment President Shu Yoshida believes that Nintendo is trying to correct perceived problems with the 3DS design.

"It's clear that they didn't believe a second analog was necessary when they designed the 3DS, so I can only guess it was requested by Capcom's side," Yoshida said. "Maybe a Capcom producer told Nintendo that to play Monster Hunter we need [dual] analog sticks."

Was it directly in response to the strong reception of the PS Vita? "Well, it's not like they looked at PS Vita and said 'we need to do that as well.' I don't know," he said. "I can only guesstimate. It was a bit shocking to see what they came up with."

Yoshida also doesn't believe that the price cut by Nintendo was in direct response to the PS Vita either. "My personal guesstimate is that they have their business plan and goals to sell a certain amount of 3DS units, and they realized post-launch was that the pricing was not helping them to achieve the goal that they set," he said. "I don't personally believe that they dropped the price of the 3DS to respond to our pricing."

According to Yoshida, the two Japanese companies are vying for a piece of the same market, but that's exactly what will drive the industy forward. "I like to see healthy competition between Nintendo's system and ours because it helps innovation. It's always a good thing to have," he said.

Of course, that's a nice way for a company to act when the momentum seems to be in its favor. Perhaps Yoshida is too wise to gloat over Sony's favorable position because he knows that perception is a fickle mistress.

Only a short time ago, we game pundits were still impressed with the poking fun at Sony's PSP Go [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101379-E3-2010-Hands-on-With-the-Nintendo-3DS]. All it took was a botched launch coupled with a strong showing and suddenly the PS Vita is the end-all be-all of human portable gaming existence. Will we never learn?

Source: Gameinformer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/09/18/sony-s-shu-yoshida-talks-vita-psp-lessons-and-nintendo.aspx?PostPageIndex=2]

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh, Yoshida's definitely being smart with his words. Go figure. Also, the analog stick add-on sounds incredibly stupid and uncomfortable for one's pocket.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Huh, was not expecting that at all.

I think Yoshida has it right though, Nintendo done goofed and is trying to fix itself. The Vita isn't out yet so this has nothing to do with it, so this is probably the best thing he could say.

After the Vita though? We shall see.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
~.~ My 3DS is burried under cards and paper. Where it will remain until I can get a bloomin game for the thing!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Wow, a respectful tone from Sony toward one of its competitors. Did not see that one coming.

Kudos, Sony, that's the exact attitude the industry needs.

Just be sure to put a gagging order on everybody working at Sony's American division before they try an ignite the flame war again.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
yo dog I heard you like Responses.

But seriously sony. Good job keeping it classy. The web needs more of that.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Hell, I'm getting the damn thing. Gonna need it once Dream Drop Distance and (hopefully) MH Tri-G hit stateside.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nice, I cringed when I read the thread title. I was glad to see there was no bashing on Sony's part. In truth, it occurs to me that Sony and Nintendo are on the same side and that mobile phones are their real competitor.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CkretAznMan said:
Oh, Yoshida's definitely being smart with his words. Go figure. Also, the analog stick add-on sounds incredibly stupid and uncomfortable for one's pocket.
And the next revision of the 3DS will probably not only not have another analogue stick, but lock out whatever's used to connect it to the current 3DS because it's not a Nintendo product if it doesn't take something away.

Anyway, these responses are lame. I want a full-on RAP WAR between these companies.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
well that was an unexpected response.
I clicked thinking there was going to be another Jack Tretton situation.

Kudos to Yoshida for playing it smooth.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It's been a while since I haven't hated Sony's responses to various things in the industry.

Also, I like the word guesstimate. I have to remember to use it more often.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Of course, that's a nice way for a company to act when the momentum seems to be in its favor. Perhaps Yoshida is too wise to gloat over Sony's favorable position because he knows that perception is a fickle mistress.
Hey Sony, 2006 called.
Hubris is one mean *****, isn't she?

Glad they finally learned their lesson.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Nintendo, I'm glad you're trying really hard to get games onto your handheld by making an attachment for your device to make up for the fact your device should have had it in the first place and didn't. It shows you're trying to make an effort in some area. But you don't get a gold star because I've seen nothing but remakes and shovel-ware for the 3DS since it was announced. The only original title is the Kid Icarus Reboot and that Resident Evil thing and they aren't out yet. Next time, try having a good title or two from the start and I might consider buying your products... also, release them more frequently and I'll buy them more frequently. That's another thing you have trouble with.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I'm still probably going to get the Vita, so I'm glad it seems to look like it's going to have a good launch. (I also never really liked the 3DS so it's flailing state doesn't really bother me at all)

Now as soon as Sony says that I can transfer my psp games to the Vita I will be buying it for sure. Although I do hope Nintendo gets their act together and releases actual new games for their system (no, another mario kart and another monster hunter aren't new games to me). It seems they were a bit too ready to ride the gimmick train

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
The 3DS is just a huge gimmick with it's horrid 3D tech that makes the handheld lack in better quality in other areas... The thing is an eye sore and it's sad there are good games I would love to play on it, but will not pay for a thing that will collect dust.

I have not bought a handheld in years for both the DS and PSP did nothing to entise me for the cost and low quality in my opinion.