Xbox Could Replace Your Cable Box

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Xbox Could Replace Your Cable Box

Microsoft may be looking to work with cable provides, not against them.

With Netflix, Zune, and Hulu already on Xbox Live and YouTube on the way, the days of gamers needing cable TV seem to be drawing to a close. However, some sources suggest that Microsoft is not willing to write off the cable companies just yet. In fact, Microsoft may be gearing up to make the Xbox 360 a de facto cable box for Verizon FiOS and Comcast. Sourcing from existing cable companies may be how Microsoft plans to provide content for the upcoming Xbox Live TV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113083-Xbox-Live-TV-to-Launch-By-Christmas].

Similar arrangements with Sky TV already exist in Western Europe, but this would be the first time the 360 could independently access cable content in the U.S. The Xbox 360 can already work with AT&T's U-verse digital TV service, so this move would hardly be unprecedented. Unlike the proposed Comcast and Verizon connections, the U-verse connection only works in conjunction with a DVR or primary cable box. Since the 360 lacks the coaxial connections necessary for cable, it is not clear how cable content would arrive on the console, although streaming is a possibility.

While Microsoft may end up embracing cable as one of its many TV services, it has no plans to abandon its other markets. Other reports suggest a possible Hulu acquisition and built-in Windows functionality in Samsung TVs.

Come this Fall, Xbox will possess at least four ways to watch TV without the use of cable, so skeptics may question whether or not Microsoft really needs to integrate this functionality. For people who use Verizon or Comcast, though, this could be a good way to save some money on cable box rentals while still enjoying the full range of cable programming.

Source: DigiDay [http://www.digiday.com/stories/microsoft-pins-tv-hopes-on-xbox/]

Elijah Ball

Jan 29, 2011
i got rid of tv last year. theres no need with so many ways to watch tv online... with varying levels of legality...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elijah Ball said:
i got rid of tv last year. theres no need with so many ways to watch tv online... with varying levels of legality...
I don't even do anything illegal. It's just that the TV that's on is bad, so I'll either get the few gems on DVD or netflix stuff people tell me I HAVE to see.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Sky on Xbox 360 is hardly a replacement cable box, its about 190 channels missing, no on demand and no PVR features.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I haven't actually had 't.v.' for a couple years. I watch everything I like through a combination of Youtube and Netflix, or the shows website (if they allow you to watch free Episodes - like Southpark). If I've seen the series before and REALLY enjoyed it, I'll just buy it when it comes out on D.V.D

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Replace my cable box eh? I took my cable box back to the cable company years ago, will I now have to take my 360 to them?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I haven't had anything more than antenna in my house for as long as I've lived, I doubt this will really change anything for anyone, not just myself. That is unless I can get cable for super cheap for like...say... the cost of Xbox live sub, but that wont happen.