Samsung, Apple Continue Patent Catfight

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Samsung, Apple Continue Patent Catfight

Samsung plans to block sale of the new iPhone in Korea.

Wrangling continues between the legal teams of Samsung and Apple. Judge Johanna Brueckner-Hofmann in Germany recently upheld an injunction to prevent Samsung's Galaxy 10.1 tablet from being sold there while a ban against Samsung's Galaxy S, Galaxy SII, and Ace handsets being sold throughout the European Union was delivered in the Netherlands. Currently, 23 suits have been filed by the two rivals in France, Italy, UK, US, and Japan with Samsung confident that the iPhone 5 will be banned in its homeland of Korea. The dispute began when Apple claimed that Samsung's products "slavishly" copied the "distinctive user interfaces, and elegant and distinctive product and packaging design." Because Samsung is also one of the largest manufacturers contributing chips and hardware to iPads and iPhones is problematic at best for any resolution between the two companies.

"Apple is Samsung's biggest customer," Samsung CEO Choi Gee-sung said. "From our perspective, we are not entirely happy [about being sued by Apple.]"

Apple and Samsung have a complicated relationship so permit me the metaphor. Little Red Apple wanted to have the prettiest dress for the dress contest. Little Red Apple went to the Samsung the Korean dressmaker and asked her to make the dress from the designs that Apple had spent all last year dreaming up. Samsung worked very hard, and finally was able to complete the dress for Little Red Apple and she looked beautiful. Looking at her handiwork, Samsung squinted her eyes, and thought that maybe she could make a dress for the contest herself. Apple saw Samsung modeling the dress she made and thought it slavishly copied her distinctive button interfaces, and elegant and distinctive frill and zipper design.

Little Red Apple didn't think that was fair, so she went to the dress contest judges and demanded that Samsung's dress be disqualified. Most of the European judges sided with Apple, but Samsung is pretty sure that the Korean judge is going to stop Apple's dress from qualifying either. Little Red Apple needs Samsung to keep making the dress so that it's ready in time for the contest, but she's talking to Old Man Packard and Bob Panasonic to see if they know how to make dresses as well as Samsung.

And that's basically where we are in the legal disputes between Apple and Samsung. Apple has successfully blocked the sales of Samsung's products in Europe, citing patents in interface and design, while Samsung thinks it can stop sales in Korea based on Samsung's wireless patents.

"Just after the arrival of the iPhone 5 here, Samsung plans to take Apple to court here for its violation of Samsung's wireless technology related patents," said an executive. "For as long as Apple does not drop mobile telecommunications functions, it would be impossible for it to sell its i-branded products without using our patents. We will stick to a strong stance against Apple during the lingering legal fights."

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 5 during an October 5th press conference. The presentation might mark the first without Steve Jobs appearing as CEO of the company in a black mock turtleneck and jeans.

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/09/samsung-looks-to-preemptively-ban-next-iphone-from-korea.ars]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, Apple went to a far eastern mega-corporation, handed them a bunch of designs and expected them to respect copyright.

What an intelligent decision, industry in the far east has such a well regarded and iron cast attitude towards the integrity and sanctity of rival companies designs. Their entire industry is built upon the foundations of innovation and quality.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
So, Apple went to a far eastern mega-corporation, handed them a bunch of designs and expected them to respect copyright.

What an intelligent decision, industry in the far east has such a well regarded and iron cast attitude towards the integrity and sanctity of rival companies designs. Their entire industry is built upon the foundations of innovation and quality.
Anthoer reson why, besides actually contributing to the industry of the country they're mainly situated, for not going for the cheapest hardware and labour.
Long time has passed since Apple sold anything more than their brand and design and that's the pay off. On the other side, while Apple does have a leg to stand on in this case, Samsung usually makes good stuff plus it's on Android, so there really is no a reason to choose Apple overlords over Samsung.

I really don't care about tablets or iphones etc. so this story is fun to keep an eye on.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Apple and Samsung have a complicated relationship so permit me the metaphor. Little Red Apple wanted to have the prettiest dress for the dress contest. Little Red Apple went to the Samsung the Korean dressmaker and asked her to make the dress from the designs that Apple had spent all last year dreaming up. Samsung worked very hard, and finally was able to complete the dress for Little Red Apple and she looked beautiful. Looking at her handiwork, Samsung squinted her eyes, and thought that maybe she could make a dress for the contest herself. Apple saw Samsung modeling the dress she made and thought it slavishly copied her distinctive button interfaces, and elegant and distinctive frill and zipper design.

Little Red Apple didn't think that was fair, so she went to the dress contest judges and demanded that Samsung's dress be disqualified. Most of the European judges sided with Apple, but Samsung is pretty sure that the Korean judge is going to stop Apple's dress from qualifying either. Little Red Apple needs Samsung to keep making the dress so that it's ready in time for the contest, but she's talking to Old Man Packard and Bob Panasonic to see if they know how to make dresses as well as Samsung.
I'm quite ashamed that your little fairytale metaphor helped me understand the situation perfectly, Greg. With all this talk of patents maybe you should see if you can get this journalistic style patented.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Apple saw Samsung modeling the dress she made and thought it slavishly copied her distinctive button interfaces, and elegant and distinctive frill and zipper design.
This is probably the best pun I've seen all day, which isn't really saying much since it is also the only pun I've seen today, but whatever. Just saiyan.

OT: It's always fun to watch mega-corporations bicker about petty little phones and tablets. Although I've never owned anything Apple or Samsung, I'm rooting for the latter simply because I prefer Android over iOS.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
fix-the-spade said:

Issue is, Samsung isn't even copying iPad design. The Galaxy Tab is distinctive on it's own.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
So this is not about if you like Apple or Samsung anymore.
Apple pulls shit, Samsungs defends and counterstrikes.

From this point it is only going to hurt business and customers!

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
insanelich said:
fix-the-spade said:

Issue is, Samsung isn't even copying iPad design. The Galaxy Tab is distinctive on it's own.
someone who does NOT see that difference must have eye-cancer or something.