Notch Tweaking Minecraft's Endermen

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Notch Tweaking Minecraft's Endermen

Minecraft's spooky new monsters won't be wrecking your house for much longer.

The recent 1.8, or "Adventure," update introduced the Endermen: a race of tall and slender creatures who really, really don't like being looked at. Their abilities, which - among other things - includes moving blocks around, makes them almost a creepy counterpoint to the player, but Mojang founder Markus "Notch" Persson thinks he may have to rethink some of their powers.

Specifically, it's that block carrying ability that seems to the sore point. Writing on Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/116186387878920193], Notch said that Endermen moving blocks around was a "horrible idea," and that he planned to "nerf" it. The Endermen are able to pick up both natural and player placed blocks, meaning that they can do extensive damage to players' structures, and potentially allow other monsters to find their way in as well.

Even if they won't be able to tear down your carefully constructed doom fortress anymore, they Endermen are still pretty scary. Notch makes no mention of nerfing their ability to teleport close to you and kill you if you look directly at them, and that's the part that's really scary.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/21/minecrafts-block-carrying-endermen-a-horrible-idea/]

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
I actually didn't mind that ability, it just added to their creepiness, say after a long expedition, you return to find your home open to the elements, forcing you to rebuild it, lest you be at the mercy of monsters. It would be like nerfing the creepers ability to explode, because, hey, it does a hell of a lot more damage then the removal of one freaking block.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Hopefully he'll also gives them their own unique sound, rather than the zombie sound they have at the moment.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Good. I find Minecraft creepy enough as it is (the new darkness effects means I'm too scared to go in the lower sections of my mine any more) without the risk of giant monsters tearing a hole in my greenhouse. Luckily my home is carved into a hillside so the walls are thick.

EDIT: Looking at the Wiki they can't move Obsidian. So my planned "Super Secret Emergency Bunker" for use in case meteor strikes or Godzilla were ever added to the game should be safe.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
endermen are already too easy to kill. I felt like their ability to potentially leave a hole in the wall for zombies to get in was their one useful ability. and i'm still mad about the fire nerf -_-

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Aww what? i liked these guys making holes in everything.. cant we just have a craftable enderman ward to go over our door or something? red-stone around an enderpearl perhaps? just stop them coming near things you build

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
The Lugz said:
Aww what? i liked these guys making holes in everything.. cant we just have a craftable enderman ward to go over our door or something? red-stone around an enderpearl perhaps? just stop them coming near things you build
You see, that is good because it makes a use for Enderpearls.

laryri

May 19, 2008
I don't mind them damaging buildings but finding trees missing one block from the trunk or random leaf blocks littered across the landscape is just annoying.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The Lugz said:
That's an awesome idea. I would fully support that over nerfing their block moving ability.

I've never had a serious problem with Endermen. The worst was when they removed a single block from my house. Oh boo hoo, now I have to take a whole three seconds to patch it.

If players really have a problem with them, all they have to do is build a moat around the house. Water kills Endermen, after all.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
That's why that block of wood went missing from my house. I thought I had just forgotten to put it there.

Still, I wouldn't mind if they took blocks from my house. Makes it a little more creepy.
"Oi, bring back that block!"
*stares*
"Um, on second thought, you can keep it."

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I never had a problem with Enderman's ability to take 1 block away. Endermen spawn spread into the wilderness and people usually don't build houses right in a Enderman breeding ground, so only thing I've noticed of Enderman both in singleplayer and on the server I play is missing blocks from trees. Which doesn't annoy me :p

And Endermen really aren't hard to kill....since they stop as soon as you look at them again...and they get hurt by ice...rain...snow...water and lava so...I just kite the Endermen to the ice surrounding my singplayer house and the massive lake surrounding my server house xD

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Knife-28 said:
The Lugz said:
You see, that is good because it makes a use for Enderpearls.
Or! Now bare with me here, ender torches! Same recipe as torches but with the enderpearls on the end, they cast a blue light not visible during the day, and when placed it casts light 10x10 and inside that light, endermen can't teleport!

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
They were never scary. I killed several by fully drawing back arrows and firing it at them while never breaking eye contact, they just stood there with their idiotic mouths agape. Also: they die in the rain, apparently being related to the Nuckelavee. (or at least the version I've heard of it)

Hopefully they'll get some kind of upgrade, but I still don't see the creepiness of something that only attacks when you stare directly at it. Didn't really mind the block-moving, either, just made them seem like reverse day-laborers that forgot what they were doing.

Adam McKeitch

Mar 14, 2011
Notch: Y U NO LEAVE ENDERMEN ALONE??

If anything, I think Endermen need a buff. Perhaps they should inhabit the Nether as well as the overworld, and maybe have immunity/resistance to arrows.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Let me just say that on the server I play on they don't work, for myself and the the other people that play on the server. And by don't work I mean that we can look right at them and they don't work.

Notch, please fix this problem first, I kinda like the moving stuff around for the exact point that monsters could find a way in.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Bigsmith said:
Let me just say that on the server I play on they don't work, for myself and the the other people that play on the server. And by don't work I mean that we can look right at them and they don't work.

Notch, please fix this problem first, I kinda like the moving stuff around for the exact point that monsters could find a way in.
I think that's a bug. If you move the cursor a bit over their head then they see you. Enderman work as "intended" in singleplayer, but on the server I need to move the cursor a bit over their head to get a response :p