Nintendo: No Time For Star Fox Online

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Nintendo: No Time For Star Fox Online

You can still do a barrel roll over Sector Z, but here's why you'll be the only one to see it.

Yusuke Amano, the developer who coordinated efforts between Q-Games and Nintendo for the 3DS release of Star Fox 64, has gone on the record with exactly why he chose to shelve online capability, an otherwise seemingly obvious inclusion to the already well-reviewed game.

In an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine, Amano discussed the role of multiplayer components and the realistic costs associated. "...just making multiplayer parts of existing games playable online isn't enough to create a satisfying experience for users," he said. "The popular online games work in lots of things, so they play well online - and if we wanted to satisfy everyone who bought the game, the costs required for including online support would be vast."

It sounds as if Amano and his team decided that there wasn't enough to the multiplayer experience to justify the expense, especially when compared to other popular online offerings currently available to players. After all, Star Fox 64 includes only two maps and a single mode of play, classic though they may be.

In the same interview, Amano then explains the other reason Nintendo kept your Arwing offline: Time. "For this project what we needed to do was use Star Fox to provide users with a game that shows the appeal of Nintendo 3DS as quickly as possible," he explained. "We put a lot of effort into the graphics, and if we had included online support then we couldn't have reached this level in the time allowed."

While Amano's honesty is appreciated, I find it a shame that in some small way this title was one more casualty of the 3DS launch hullaballoo. Yes, cost was a primary deciding factor, but from they way Amano describes it, we may have gotten extra multiplayer capabilities had Nintendo been able to use the game as a showcase instead of some sort of rushed proof of concept for the console. Still, things may change if the Star Fox franchise lives on. "We did lots of experimentation for the normal wireless local multiplayer and included lots of new features," Amano said. "Working on the multiplayer part was a nice, satisfying challenge, and if I get the chance to work on another Star Fox title, I would definitely consider an online multiplayer mode."

Source: Official Nintendo Magazine [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30710/nintendo-why-star-fox-64-3d-isnt-online/]

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
How about actually making a Star fox game for the Wii instead of rehashing a game which I still have and can play anytime (given its my farourite game of all time)?

Then again it isn't Mario or Zelda so they probably don't care. I honestly see why I should get a WiiU (I can't take that name seriously).

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
Disappointing, but I guess it's fair. It would have cost resources that wouldn't have been anywhere near worth the end result. Still, I'm waiting for Nintendo to release a good 3DS game that I haven't already played.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
ImBigBob said:
Disappointing, but I guess it's fair.
How? They get you to buy a game and a new console, then trash the only new feature. They're not even relesaing DLC or patches, They're basically saying "Well you paid $300 for this, you're on your own".

I don't understand how Capcom get such hate for canning MML3 yet Nintendo are allowed to blantantly rip off their customers like this.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I don't own a 3DS nor did I buy Star Fox 64 3D. But the online community would have been dead in that game really quickly, so Nintendo just went "Why bother"?

Though, if they're releasing such a short, old, and insubstantial game, they should have made it budget price to begin with. You can download the game on the Wii for just 10 bucks. 30 extra dollars just for updated graphics? No thanks.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
There would have been no point in developing online multiplayer. I seriously doubt it having that feature would have increased sales.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Ninjamedic said:
ImBigBob said:
Disappointing, but I guess it's fair.
How? They get you to buy a game and a new console, then trash the only new feature. They're not even relesaing DLC or patches, They're basically saying "Well you paid $300 for this, you're on your own".

I don't understand how Capcom get such hate for canning MML3 yet Nintendo are allowed to blantantly rip off their customers like this.
Rip off? They announced this long before it was released, nobody has any right to whine about it now of all times. It's not as though they plan to release an ULTIMATE STARFOX 64 ADVENTURES ASSAULT that comes with every game and online functionality that doesn't blow.