EA, BioWare Have No Clue When The Old Republic Will Launch

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA, BioWare Have No Clue When The Old Republic Will Launch

EA said the date might slip to 2012, while BioWare said that's probably not true. Or is it?

While not quite reaching Duke Nukem Forever levels, it feels like The Old Republic has been in development for a long, long time in a galaxy far, far away. First announced in 2008 and likely in development before that, the high-profile MMO has slipped many release target dates. And while the rhetoric has placed a TOR launch by the end of 2011, publisher Electronic Arts said in an investor call recently that the company was prepared for it to be delayed until 2012. BioWare predictably gave lip service to fans by saying that it's still shooting for the The Old Republic to come out this year, but the language used seems to suggest that they don't have a clue when testing will be complete.

EA is mum even on when they plan to announce a TOR release date. "In terms of timing we haven't given a street date yet," EA's chief financial officer said on the investor's call. "We won't do so for some time, possibly at our next upcoming earnings call towards the end of October."

The CFO suggested that the company considered a delay. "We did hold out a slight possibility that it could slip to our March quarter. And the factors that would cause a slip is, for example, us not being completely satisfied with the scalability testing, and wanting to tune it for several extra weeks."

BioWare's response basically encouraged people to stop listening in on investor conference calls. "Investor calls and conferences are for investors. They are not meant for the general public," BioWare's community manager Stephen Reid wrote in a statement on the official Old Republic forums.

No firm promise of a delay or even that we will get a date soon was given, said Reid. "[The CFO] didn't promise that you would get a release date announcement in September, he isn't promising a release date before the next earnings call. It could happen, but it's not a promise."

Reid continued to say that the schedule is in flux at the moment and BioWare is still shooting for the Holiday 2011 window, but that hey, shit happens. "As with any large and complex game project, there's always the possibility of slippage. Always. That is why we have always said we're aiming for that window, because it's possible that unforeseen issues may push the date," he said, the emphasis his.

He also criticized anyone who took the CFO's words of a possible delay as verifiable truth that TOR isn't coming out until 2015. "Try not to assume the sky is falling every time an investor asks a question and our CFO does his job, which is to let them know about every possibility."

Source: SWTOR forums [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/bioware-admits-swtor-could-slip-to-2012/085068]

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Meh - I'd rather them take as much time as they think is necessary than them have a poor launch. Really with as much as they've invested in this they need to have a successful launch.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
As long as it doesn't become the next DNF.

Also unlike Half Life 2 Ep 3 we are at least getting updates on what is being worked on.
Also wtf
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuuNE5v3UfgI2Umn3gv30XpDcsSXuWc02vd2BTVTCKgTlh0pSMaC6Rw4PqOIPuGaq2BvGB_N7CFtiG1if1WegjNiHSLpfHaT75OMlYWkBPhqgnEMlpS5AC7jOqKXKmN0e8eLBPwYahHYhOY8EU6SLIVugTEEew

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
It may be beneficial for them to release it next march. The gaming rush will be near the holidays so they would have less competition in March. Delaying the game may lead to a more polished release which is good all around. Lastly there's no real need to rush the release. Guild Wars 2 and WoW's next expansion are both coming late 2012/early 2013. The only other noteworthy game coming out early 2012 is Mass Effect 3, and that's another Bioware title.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
cynicalsaint1 said:
Meh - I'd rather them take as much time as they think is necessary than them have a poor launch. Really with as much as they've invested in this they need to have a successful launch.
Good to hear that somebody understands that. I'd rather miss dozens of targets and release a bloody fantastic game than be dead on time/arrival.

Not that you don't have to balance the two. There is a point where you have to pull the plug and call something done. With games, it's just not always clear when that is. We could polish for years if allowed to.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
RollForInitiative said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
Good to hear that somebody understands that. I'd rather miss dozens of targets and release a bloody fantastic game than be dead on time/arrival.

Not that you don't have to balance the two. There is a point where you have to pull the plug and call something done. With games, it's just not always clear when that is. We could polish for years if allowed to.
Let's not forget this is an mmorpg and if there is a niggling bug still in the game they can always patch it on a later date.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
This is pretty much how a WoW-level MMO gets made. Which is probably the reason the only WoW-level MMO, err...WoW, was made by Blizzard, whose motto is "When it's done".

spectrenihlus said:
Let's not forget this is an mmorpg and if there is a niggling bug still in the game they can always patch it on a later date.
While this is perfectly true, I'm laughing my ass off imagining the creators of Age of Conan saying this prior to launch.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I'd rather them say they have no clue than to set a date, miss it and keep pushing it back -_-

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
cynicalsaint1 said:
Yep. I'm willing to accept "when it's ready" on this one. If it's as good as I've heard, it will be worth the wait.

johnstamos

May 17, 2011
Friend o mine said they weren't putting a for sure release date on it so blizzard doesn't release super ultra blowjob and snickers bar mega wow patch on the same day or something like that

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I'm just gonna go ahead and guess June 2012 for an actual release date, with expanded testing starting in March and some sort of bone tossed to those who pre-ordered the game this fall or earlier by around May.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and it's out goddamn tomorrow, but...

Rewrench

Oct 20, 2010
To me and I think many. This game has to beat Guild wars 2 release date to get attention.
I was planning on getting this and playing it until GW2. But if this game comes out after..
Then I dont see my self bothering at all.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Dendio said:
It may be beneficial for them to release it next march. The gaming rush will be near the holidays so they would have less competition in March. Delaying the game may lead to a more polished release which is good all around. Lastly there's no real need to rush the release. Guild Wars 2 and WoW's next expansion are both coming late 2012/early 2013. The only other noteworthy game coming out early 2012 is Mass Effect 3, and that's another Bioware title.
That's a bad idea though. That means they are splitting thir own consumer base between two products. I know I'm buying both, though I preordered both when I first found out I could.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Seventh Actuality said:
This is pretty much how a WoW-level MMO gets made. Which is probably the reason the only WoW-level MMO, err...WoW, was made by Blizzard, whose motto is "When it's done".

spectrenihlus said:
While this is perfectly true, I'm laughing my ass off imagining the creators of Age of Conan saying this prior to launch.
So much this... rushing stuff out with glitches and basically fixing it on the fly isn't a way to get early adopters happy. It's a surefire way of giving the entire demographic a bad first impression and guaranteeing failure.

Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, fucking Final Fantasy 14 (alliteration!). All of these had pretty horrible issues at launch and all are either nearly dead or have gigantic stigmas attached to their names. Delay it as long as you need, and release it in good working order.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
After playing games pushed out unfinished I'm ok with waiting.

Though I was super lucky and got to play TOR last weekend. I only got to play for 15 minutes in a sort of team capture the flag arena match, but it looked quite cool (I don't know what people's problem is with saying it looks ugly). Sure 15 minutes is far too short to get a full sense of a game like that, but I'm excited.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Quiotu said:
Seventh Actuality said:

spectrenihlus said:
So much this... rushing stuff out with glitches and basically fixing it on the fly isn't a way to get early adopters happy. It's a surefire way of giving the entire demographic a bad first impression and guaranteeing failure.

Age of Conan, Star Trek Online, Champions Online, fucking Final Fantasy 14 (alliteration!). All of these had pretty horrible issues at launch and all are either nearly dead or have gigantic stigmas attached to their names. Delay it as long as you need, and release it in good working order.
I actually play Star Trek Online because I got bored waiting for TOR and needed my shooting things with lasers in space fix. i like it but I wish more people were on playing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This feels less like Valve or Blizzard style perfectionism and more like EA stalling while they try to work out how not to fail massively in the first year. It's not confidence inspiring.

Maybe they're trying to revamp it into a hypbrid F2P model now, so they don't have to do it a year from now.

Assuming the bloody thing is even out by then.