Online Gaming Study Suggests Internet Sucks Globally

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
Online Gaming Study Suggests Internet Sucks Globally

If you've ever wondered how your download speeds stack up against the world, well, here's a boatload of pictures and details.

With the exception of website comments sections, nothing is more irritating or inconvenient on the internet than a failed download. In a study conducted by Pando Networks in the first half of 2011, download data records indicated that the United States, United Kingdom and Canada are rubbish when it comes to downloading online games. This isn't stopping the world from playing them, though.

The Pando Networks study pulled information from 20 million computers totaling 27 million patch and game client downloads worldwide. Having tracked data from League of Legends, Maple Story, Lord of the Rings: Online, and other games, the research measured users' download speeds globally. South Korea is, far and away, leading the charge; it comprises 75% of the online gaming market as a whole, and its average download rate is an impressive 2,202 kilo-bits per second. The United States, which ranks 26th worldwide, has a comparatively depressing average of 616 KBps. That's less than your standard 640K-DSL setup, which would already take about 37 hours to grab 10 gigabytes of content.

Upsetting, right? Blame your ISP. AT&T customers are getting just 392 KBps when grabbing their games. Great Britain's best ISP, Virgin Media, pumps out just 612 KBps. If you'd like to see how these compare to, say, the horrid speeds in South America, or the strength of Eastern Europe, this behemoth of an infographic [http://chartsbin.com/view/2484].

The short version of this number-crunching is that an astonishing amount of people are consuming free-to-play games, and global download speeds are, with few exceptions, pretty disappointing. It's an on-the-rise market right now, too. Hopefully we can keep up with it.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
I think you need to take out a G and put an E in your headline somewhere...

*update: never mind.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I wish I were back in Japan as I paid ~5000yen for a fibreglass connection.
Now in Germany my ISP refuses to invest anything in upgrading their stuff, so I dropped from a 6000kbit connection to 2000 in one year (sometimes the speed drops to 1000..), after more people wanted to have broadband.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Um... I get at LEAST 2Mbps, and at most around 8-10, resulting in 256KB/s to 1.2MB/s download speeds. We're on a pretty basic Virgin package for that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Next you'll be telling me that your chances of having a stable connection are shitty, even though we all know Blizzard and Ubisoft wouldn't go full-retard with their DRM if that was really the case.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
I wonder how LONG it took them to realize the internet suck everywhere except Japan and South Korea. The US has so many different cable companies and all these bastards run rackets with their internet service because it's not what you hope it to be until a majority of your cable bill is the internet cost and not the cable itself.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Great Britain's best ISP, Virgin Media,
That's who we have our internet with and if that is the best then I pity people that have a worse one.

I think it's well documented how bad Virgin Media is.

And no, no we can't just "switch ISP" seeing as we have a contract with Virgin and we get cable TV and our phone line in the same package. It would cost us a hell of a lot more to "switch ISP".

So i'll just sit here and whine about them being shit.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I used to be on Virginmedia, but their line suddenly went from great to 30% packet loss for weeks on end. After having no luck with the incomprehensible overseas customer support I downloaded everything, backed it up and switched ISP (Luckily the contract ended within the month). Now I'm stuck with 200kbp/s but at least it bloody works.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So, I needed an official study to tell me that my conection sucks?, I'm quite comfortable with my 300 Kb/ps conection and that doesn't stop me from downloading big games.

jusplainrob

Aug 1, 2011
i do believe the person writing that article made a typo as 2202 kilobits per second is actually 275 Kilobytes per second which is pretty poor

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Canadian ISPs keep claiming we have the best Internet in the world.

We're substantially worse off than RUSSIA.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I seem to be a hell of a lot better off than most of my countrymen, my usual download speed doesn't like to dip below 1MB/s and likes to cap out around 3.5MB/s. Guess I'm lucky.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
teqrevisited said:
I used to be on Virginmedia, but their line suddenly went from great to 30% packet loss for weeks on end. After having no luck with the incomprehensible overseas customer support I downloaded everything, backed it up and switched ISP (Luckily the contract ended within the month). Now I'm stuck with 200kbp/s but at least it bloody works.
I was surprised by mentions of virgin media being that bad. I guess it's very much down to regional infrastructure.

I have virgin cable broadband, and unlike just about anyone I know using DSL, I actually get my advertised download speeds. (10 megabits).

So... Interesting to hear you'd have such a bad experience with the same ISP, while every time I talk to anyone locally with a different ISP, they never seem to get what they're told they will, while I do.

so... I get 10 megabits/second... (but that's about 1.2 megabytes per second).

Alright... What is dragging down the average so much? I must be in an unusually good area. XD