Square Enix Hints At The World Ends With You Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Square Enix Hints At The World Ends With You Sequel

Is Square Enix working on a new The World Ends With You game? The answer is a definite "maybe" (followed by a coy smile and a wink).

Last week, the appearance of Neku - the hero of cult hit The World Ends With You - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113055-The-World-Ends-With-You-Invades-Kingdom-Hearts>in the trailer for Kingdom hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance raised a lot of hopes across the Web. While it was certainly possible that neku's cameo might just be a cameo (as is often the case with Square Enix characters in the Kingdom Hearts games), gamers were hoping that it was a sign of further things to come (like a proper sequel). According to the man behind Dream Drop Distance, a sequel is certainly a possibility.

Speaking to Famitsu this week, Tetsuya Nomura was asked about a sequel to The World Ends With you. Nomura responded by saying "that Neku's appearance could be taken as notice of something to come, adding that something is being worked on."

Reportedly, Nomura didn't actually mention a sequel or a new game in general. That said, Square Enix has the habit of mining its various IPs to no end, so it seems safe to assume that the company has plans to give fans another entry to its critically-acclaimed series.

Source: Andriasang

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! This was the FIRST DS game I got and I loved it. I've been waiting for a sequel for a while now...Along with Kingdom hearts 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Bulletstorm 2

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Another thing to waste their development time on instead of Kingdom Hearts 3.

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Baldr said:
Pffffftahahahaha that's a good one.

Seriously, I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
To quote myself from the facebook post I made on this: From what I can tell... it seems like he's inferring that TWEWY and Kingdom Hearts take place in the same continuum - at least in terms of Neku. I wouldn't put it past Square to have the end areas of TWEWY link up with the Kingdom Hearts universe somehow, especially given the way the hidden letters keep mentioning other universes.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I hope there's one for PS vita because I don't see myself buying 3DS anymore.

to SquareEnix: PRETTY PLEASE??

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
The World Ends With You 2 would be that one game that would make me go out and instantly buy a 3DS, no questions asked.

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Quantum Star said:
The World Ends With You 2 would be that one game that would make me go out and instantly buy a 3DS, no questions asked.
AAAAAaaaaaaaaagggghhhh yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yuuuuuuuush I need it to liiiiive.

*ahem* I mean- that is to say: I am intrigued and well-pleased by this most unexpected news. If Square Enix can spare a few moments among rendering publicity stills for vaporware, this could easily- UUuuurgh I cant pretend why doesn't this already exist myturgidimaginationburnswithlongingfjutrfvbgjhvcdfrttoikjj

By the way: Is that shot of Neku bawling really the best image they could have found for this? -_-

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010

But yeah... TWEWY is easily one of my top DS games and considering how many awesome DS games there are that's saying something :p

The TWEWY world being part of the KH universe would REALLY tangle the storyline, but if done well this has the potential to be pretty much the largest slice of epic seen in the AAA gaming industry for quite some time imo >.>

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Korias said:
To quote myself from the facebook post I made on this: From what I can tell... it seems like he's inferring that TWEWY and Kingdom Hearts take place in the same continuum - at least in terms of Neku. I wouldn't put it past Square to have the end areas of TWEWY link up with the Kingdom Hearts universe somehow, especially given the way the hidden letters keep mentioning other universes.
Want to know how right you are? Allow me to direct your attention to what could possibly be the best crossover fanfiction of all time: Playing For Keeps.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4683313/1/

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Quantum Star said:
I second this. Sure there has been good games on the 3DS and the price cut on the console itself but it hasn't make me want to buy one until now.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Baldr said:
Screw your Kingdom Hearts, I have a need for more TWEWY!

Most zeta game EVER on DS.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
And then please release it in Denmark too, I cant even buy the first one from amazon.uk

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I just hope they call it "The World Ends With You Too" and have the story focus around the coming death of your character and how you'll take the rest of the world along with you unless you go on some crazy adventure full of hip hop and j-fashion to stop the end of the world

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
As much as I want a sequel to TWEWY i'm just not sure how it will work. Would you still be playing as Neku, would he still be playing the Reapers games? These are the questions I hope will be answered at some point.

Jan 27, 2011
If there IS a sequel in development, I am gonna be all over it. TWEWY was one of the best games I've ever played.

Here's hoping it delves more into the alternate worlds (instead of weeks), and we learn more about how the higher planes of existence (angels, reapers, etc) all work.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Dear Square-Enix: I, Rauten, am a pirate.

As such, I have a pirated DS, and my only original game was some shoddy shovelware I found on a bargain bin, which I needed to run pirate copies of certain, specific games.

Then, I pirated your game, "The World Ends With You" before it reached EU shelves.
Then, I played the hell out of 1/3rd of the game.
Then, I put it down and waited for the EU release.
Then, I talked to two other pirate friends about the game, who also have pirated DS systems.
Then, on EU release day, we stormed the local game shop to buy 3 retail copies, one for each.
Then, it became the only (serious) original game I own for the DS.

THAT'S HOW F***ING GOOD THE GAME IS.

GIVE US A SEQUEL ALREADY GODDAMNIT, DON'T YOU WANT MY MONEY?!

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
mysecondlife said:

You shouldn't port beg. It's tacky.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
McMarbles said:
mysecondlife said:

You shouldn't port beg. It's tacky.
considering it hasn't been announced, I'm ok

If they officially announce it and it's only for 3DS, I'll suck it up.