Persona Fighter Spawns An Offensive Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Persona Fighter Spawns An Offensive Trailer

"Offensive;" get it? Because the video focuses on the game's super attacks? Aww, you don't get it.

As I just alluded, the latest footage of Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena to come spilling out of Japanese arcades is something of a compilation of the game's super attacks.

If you've played a fighting game at any point in the last decade, you should be familiar with the concept. By landing special attacks (or being badly wounded, if you're playing an SNK game) your character gradually gains the ability to unleash a devastating super attack with all kinds of eye-catching graphical flourishes and epilepsy-inducing bursts of light.

Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena stays with this tradition, but owing to the game's roots as a fighter based on Atlus' Persona roleplaying games, each of the attacks is based on a maneuver found in the series' canon iterations.

The video pretty much speaks for itself, though I want to point out two things.

First, I get a strong feeling that I'm going to absolutely hate Yukiko in this game. Unless I'm totally missing my mark, she seems like a dervish of spinning, linking attacks that just don't end. Plus, I've always thought she was kind of a prude.

Second, did Kanji hit the gym since Persona 4? He was never a small guy, but it looks like he put on a ton of muscle since we last saw him. I love the character regardless, but I think I preferred the more Billy Idol-esque, lanky Kanji.

Otherwise, everything else looks very pretty, very flashy, and suitably well-animated. We've still no word on when or if this game will be headed to America, so keep those fingers crossed.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
That-looks-FANTASTIC!

The only 'complaint' I have, thus far, is that it's P4 focused - I'd LOVE to see some characters from P1/2/3 in the game.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
tanis1lionheart said:
That-looks-FANTASTIC!

The only 'complaint' I have, thus far, is that it's P4 focused - I'd LOVE to see some characters from P1/2/3 in the game.
The game has Persona 3 fighters in it.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
This looks absolutely amazing,Although i wish Atlus would sacrifice the game's canonical nature in favor of a more fun All Out between Shin Megami Tensei characters from everywhere, from DDS to Devil Survivor, To Strange Journey to All Personas.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Maybe it's just me and I'm misinterpreting the whole Persona series, but everything I'm seeing about this game just makes it feel too.. cartoony. I'd almost be expecting an anime styled Mortal Kombat type experience (though, given that it's being made by Arc Systems, much better playing than MK). Of course, my personal hands on experience with the series is fairly minimal so my perception of what Persona is could be wrong.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Maybe it's just me and I'm misinterpreting the whole Persona series, but everything I'm seeing about this game just makes it feel too.. cartoony. I'd almost be expecting an anime styled Mortal Kombat type experience (though, given that it's being made by Arc Systems, much better playing than MK). Of course, my personal hands on experience with the series is fairly minimal so my perception of what Persona is could be wrong.
There's not really any major killing in Persona. Not of humans anyway, and the deaths that are there are fairly tame. This seems to be what the games would be like in real-time, combat wise, which is awesome.
Looking forward to it.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
StriderShinryu said:
There's not really any major killing in Persona. Not of humans anyway, and the deaths that are there are fairly tame. This seems to be what the games would be like in real-time, combat wise, which is awesome.
Looking forward to it.
There's not really any major killing in GAMEPLAY. Characters do get killed off in very tragic, sometimes horrible ways, though. Nothing like Mortal Kombat, though.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bek359 said:
hazabaza1 said:
StriderShinryu said:
Looking forward to it.
There's not really any major killing in GAMEPLAY. Characters do get killed off in very tragic, sometimes horrible ways, though. Nothing like Mortal Kombat, though.
The deaths never seemed too horrible to me. Mind you, I've only played 3+4, but the first 2 murders in 2 seem to be the most... graphic, shall we say.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
The more I look at this game, the more I feel like this is some offshoot of the JJBA franchise. Maybe it's because I've never played a Persona game before, but still...

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Personally i'm all for this game... I'm curious if they plan to add some customization with the weapons and persona sense all (at least from 3 and 4) had two (and 3 in some cases) main persona to their names. Would also be interesting to see them bring in some of the bad guys from the series as well. (without naming specific spoilerific characters can think of like 4 or so bad guys.) toss in Elizabeth/Margret/and the guy from p3p. Surprising amount of people can be playable.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks the best part of the trailer is Yosuke beating the crap out of Chie and Yukiko? Don't get me wrong, they're my two favourite girls from the game, but it just feels good seeing Yosuke getting a little payback.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Still waiting on that Naoto confirmation.....
Anyway, it is looking awesome so far.
The only thing that worries me about Naoto is that she uses ranged weapons, could be a broken character if they stick with that. Not to mention, I don't see Naoto as the type to get up close and personal in a brawl. Here's hoping they can make it work.

Kimarous said:
The more I look at this game, the more I feel like this is some offshoot of the JJBA franchise. Maybe it's because I've never played a Persona game before, but still...
I'd definitely recommend them, if you like JRPGs and have around 70 hours to burn, give Persona a try.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
I hope Chie gets a special kick-to-the-nads attack. That's kinda her trademark after all.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
VanQQisH said:
Am I the only one that thinks the best part of the trailer is Yosuke beating the crap out of Chie and Yukiko? Don't get me wrong, they're my two favourite girls from the game, but it just feels good seeing Yosuke getting a little payback.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Still waiting on that Naoto confirmation.....
Anyway, it is looking awesome so far.
The only thing that worries me about Naoto is that she uses ranged weapons, could be a broken character if they stick with that. Not to mention, I don't see Naoto as the type to get up close and personal in a brawl. Here's hoping they can make it work.

Kimarous said:
I'd definitely recommend them, if you like JRPGs and have around 70 hours to burn, give Persona a try.
Now she used machine guns, sniper rifles and grenade launchers, but Aigis was ranged too. And the dev made Noel Vermillion too. So I think that they can make it work. I'm more weirded out by seeing everyone fighting each other like that. What happened to the power of friendship?