US Military Develops Autonomous Tunnel 'Bots

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
US Military Develops Autonomous Tunnel 'Bots

Exploring underground tunnels is hard work. If only the Army could make robots do it.

Picture this: You're a soldier in the war against terror, and you've been dropped into a contested, mountainous area of Afghanistan with orders to discover any insurgent forces hiding in the nearby wilderness.

And by "wilderness" I mean "the thousands of miles of caves beneath the Afghan landscape."

Even with your all your fancy, high-tech gadgets, that's a dangerous proposition. Sure, you've got goggles that allow you to see in the dark, a uniform that keeps you cool in the blazing heat and a gun that fires fully automatic bursts of pure manifest destiny, but none of that will protect you from some guy lying in wait inside a cave with an AK-47 and a lot of rage.

Luckily, the military has a solution: robots.

Dubbed "Counter Tunnel Robotics," this initiative is designed to fill the roles that traditionally go to brave soldiers. The tech was outlined at the recent Association For Unmanned Vehicle Systems International conference:

The [Counter Tunnel Robotics] system is an innovative all-terrain mobility platform capable of accessing tunnel systems through a small (8 inch) borehole and traversing adverse tunnel terrain including vertical obstacles up to 2ft in height and chasms up to 2ft in length. The system's function is to provide a platform capable of carrying a small sensor package while navigating and overcoming terrain obstacles inside the tunnel. Counter tunnel technologies are needed to support intelligence gathering and safety of troops and personnel in unmapped and unknown tunnel environments. The system is the initial step in achieving a fully autonomous counter tunnel system.

The really interesting bit is at the end there. That part about "a fully autonomous counter tunnel system." While the early goal of this project is to develop 'bots than can scout these circuitous tunnels, the endgame involves robots (with no human oversight) mapping tunnels and eliminating any hostile forces they might encounter.

In simpler terms, thinking robots dropped underground to do our fighting for us.

On the upside, this tech could potentially offer a huge boon to spelunkers hoping to map inhospitable holes like Ethiopia's Sof Omar Cave or even caves on the moon.

On the downside, this military-funded Descent-analogue is pure nightmare fuel for anyone who would prefer to not be shot by an unfeeling metallic supersoldier within a dank hole.

Source: BLDGBLOG [http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/tunnel-countertunnel.html]

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Yep, I saw this coming years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114367/

Tunneling death machines.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sounds like a good program to me. Truthfully though when the whole invasion of Afghanistan started I remember some stuff on TV about our weapons, and how we have missles that can level mountains fairly easily, I got the impression that the missle Tony Stark demonstrated at the beginning of "Iron Man" was based on what we already have. Albiet ours work by penetrating and then exploding, much like missles we have that are designed to get into the structure under a city (sewers, etc...) and detonate there to cause cities to fall in on themselves.

I'm all for drones, and that's basically what this is (though robot sounds cooler), but really I am of the opinion that we're way too nice. We should have dealt with the issue of the Afghan mountains by just leveling them, it would probably be cheaper and have gotten us out of there a lot sooner.

I mean drones have their purpose, but why send multi-million dollar machines down into these holes? Especially seeing as you have to send a person down there anyway if you lose contact with it. We've already got tons of missles and the abillity to mass-produce those. I think it's warped that in the US we've become so moral that we think we should give our enemies a chance. Rather than letting them kill people or wreck machines gun to gun, as far as I'm concerned we should have just let them go into the mountains, dumped poison gas into the cave systems, and then collapsed a lot of the major, tunnel-filled mountains in on themselves. In a war someone is going to die, and I'd prefer it be them rather than us, and I want the other guys to have as little a chance as possible... which is why we built up all these wonderful weapons which we later decided we weren't going to use. I mean spending billions and being #1 on defense spending is pointless if your not going to use all those fancy missles and those tanker trucks full of lethal chemicals. We store it "just in case we need it" but when we're at war... well that's when "need" comes in.

I know many people disagree with me, but the point is that from other things I've read and seen, this seems like a kind of pointless project for the moment. It's nice to have in our aresenal, but hardly something we should be developing to solve a problem we arguably have a solution for already. Heck, we make this drone, and then someone will decide that it's immoral to use anyway... so we'll go stick it with our nastier bombs and missles, and all the gasses and stuff we made specifically for wiping out tunnels full of guys. With the way our goverment works all it takes is for a few liberals to say "OMG, the killer robot might have killed a civilian who was simply playing Hopscotch on the floor of that cave" and then it will be gathering dust like all our other options.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(video_game)]Tsk tsk. All the violence when such things could be used for more... subtle ends.

Magma, Ltd. will never stand for this once we rule the world, even if we do accidentally destroy Australia.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Tis would have so many applications outside the military, probing collapsed mine shafts, buildings in earthquakes, firefighters, etc. Would be an invaluable type of tool to have in many disasters since it could go where people could not and find survivors.

Really hope they disarm the tech and have a civilian commercial version available for rescue work, since it seems ideally suited if it works.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Everyday i'm tunnelin'...

But yeah, i'm really surprised at lack of Matrix references here, perfect story for it :p