New Tech Could Make All PS3s Backwards Compatible

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
New Tech Could Make All PS3s Backwards Compatible

Images of new technology patented by Sony illustrate a method by which the PS3's Cell Processor can be used to emulate the PS2's Emotion Engine code.

The patent describes the tech as "an example of a host system based on a cell processor that may be configured to emulate the target system." The patent's wording and the appearance of the Emotion Engine and Cell Processor in the images leave little possibility of anything other than PS2 emulation on the PS3. It's unclear if this emulation includes PS2 disc support or if it will be geared towards potential PS2 title downloads.

Siliconera.com describes Sony's process as: "[...] a way to translate instructions from an Emotion Engine chip into chunks that can be referenced." This new plan for emulation differs from early backwards compatible PS3 models in that the originals actually included the Emotion Engine hardware in the console. Sony's emulation patent is more in line with the Xbox 360's (sometimes faulty) emulation of previous gen titles.

While the emulator is no replacement for the hardware itself, Sony is still selling the PS2 and would surely rather make cash off of Emotion Engine chipset sales rather than just giving them away with the PS3. Either way, this is potentially great news for current and future PS3 owners, as the lack of backwards compatibility has consistently drawn major criticism from the gaming community.

Source: <a href="http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/"
target="_blank">Siliconera

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
This would be a great boon to PS3. Suddenly, one of the biggest issues... fragmentation of the userbase over a generational gap... would be largely resolved.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Well, my PS3 is already backwards compatible. And I hardly ever play PS2 games anyway. But I'm still pleased that this is happening, a lot of people with a new PS3 want to play old PS2 or PS1 games, so I'm happy for them at lest.

Alufear

May 1, 2009
I got the 20GB model back when it first came out, and later installed a 160GB hard drive to make it a monster, so this news really doesn't affect me. All the same, this is great news for other PS3 owners.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
it would make it easier on me money wise for a ps3. i won't get one without the backwards compatability and so far looks like i may have to import it. and i really don't want to do that.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
If they did this, and the price-drop rumours were true, i'd go out and buy a PS3 for sure. Price and backwards compatibility are the two issues that seem to have crippled PS3 sales.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I don't understand what compatibility the PS3 is missing. I've played PS2 and PS1 games on it. I played MGS and FFVII on it just a few months ago, and now I'm playing Spyro: Eternal Night because I picked it up in a bargain bin (it sucks, I miss the old Spyro).

I've never had any compatibility problems, so...could anybody tell me what exactly the problems are? I tried googling it, and it just keeps telling me PS2 and PS1 games don't work on the PS3, but they do.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Krakyn said:
I don't understand what compatibility the PS3 is missing. I've played PS2 and PS1 games on it. I played MGS and FFVII on it just a few months ago, and now I'm playing Spyro: Eternal Night because I picked it up in a bargain bin (it sucks, I miss the old Spyro).
Depends on when you bought your PS3. The earlier PS3s had the Emotion Engine chip, which basically meant that every PS3 had a PS2 on a chip inside it. Then they dropped the chip in favor of emulation (we Europeans never got the PS3 with the EE chip). Pretty soon after that they dropped backwards compatibility entirely, which means that you aren't playing any PS2 games on a new PS3.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Krakyn said:
I've never had any compatibility problems, so...could anybody tell me what exactly the problems are? I tried googling it, and it just keeps telling me PS2 and PS1 games don't work on the PS3, but they do.
Depends which PS3 model you have.

Original US/Japanese 60GB models and 20GB models will play all PS2 games and PS1 games.
Original European 60GB models and US 80GB models will play some PS2 games and all PS1 games.
40GB models and newer will play PS1 games but no PS2 games.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Krakyn said:
Depends on when you bought your PS3. The earlier PS3s had the Emotion Engine chip, which basically meant that every PS3 had a PS2 on a chip inside it. Then they dropped the chip in favor of emulation (we Europeans never got the PS3 with the EE chip). Pretty soon after that they dropped backwards compatibility entirely, which means that you aren't playing any PS2 games on a new PS3.
Thank you, I couldn't seem to find that information anywhere. Yeah, I think I picked up my PS3 in 2007.

Sharpeye42

Mar 26, 2009
I got the 60GB so mine already works with PS2 and PS1 games but this is good for all the cheap people who get the 20GB.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Personally, I think all next-gen consoles should have had backwards compatibility to begin with. Shelling out large amounts of money for a new console that separates us from the old library of games we've come to know and love just seems annoying.

However, I am glad that Sony has taken the initiative on fixing this problem. Maybe this will light a fire under Microsoft's asses.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hooray! At long last, the deaf ears of Sony hear reason! Now as long as this doesn't make me download the titles I already own (like some Xbox Originals style deal) I'll be ok with it.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
HardRockSamurai said:
Personally, I think all next-gen consoles should have had backwards compatibility to begin with. Shelling out large amounts of money for a new console that separates us from the old library of games we've come to know and love just seems annoying.
Unless you're very strange, your old consoles don't spontaneously combust when you get new ones.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Unless you're very strange, your old consoles don't spontaneously combust when you get new ones.
Naw, but I usually sell the old console plus a few games in order to afford the new console. Lots of people do it.