Odin Sphere Developer's Last PSP Opus Heads West

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Odin Sphere Developer's Last PSP Opus Heads West

Grand Knights History will make Western gamers' eyes pop and thumbs ache this winter.

Perhaps you've used Vanillaware's Odin Sphere to demonstrate to friends that 2D graphics are not dead at home (I know I have), but there's currently no way to show your friends the latest and greatest in side-scrolling technology when you're on the go. Come Winter, that will all change, thanks to distributor XSEED Games. XSEED plans to bring Grand Knights History, a turn-based RPG with Vanillaware's signature storybook graphics, to Western PSPs in just a few months.

Vanillaware developed a strong cult following in the West for titles like Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon Blade. These games combined the best elements of 2.5D side-scrollers and Japanese RPGs, making for engaging but difficult experiences. While Grand Knights History eschews the real-time aspect in favor of turn-based battles, Vanillaware fans should feel right at home. "Vanillaware is renowned for their beautiful and striking hand-drawn 2D graphics, and [its] stunning visuals and strategic gameplay," said XSEED president Jun Iwasaki. "Grand Knights History will be a must-have for all PSP owners with a taste for deep, engrossing RPGs."

As Sony preps the Vita for release, it's nice to know that PSP owners will get at least one more quirky cult title before the aging handheld goes quietly into the night. Vita early adopters need not fear, however, as the game will be available via PSN download, making it Vita-ready. European fans should note that Rising Star Games will publish the game in the Old World, although XSEED has not indicated any release date discrepancies.

Grand Knights History had rave reviews in Japan, so PSP RPG fans should definitely keep their eyes peeled for more specific details as they emerge.

Source:1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/vanillaware-grand-knights-history-released-internationally-psp]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I'll probably have to get this. And Odin Sphere too.
Anyone know if this game uses the control stick at all?

the spud

May 2, 2011
Dang, if only I had a PSP. I would so get this.

I may just have to shell out for a PS vita after all.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Ahem*
As a huge fan of Odin Sphere, 2D, and turn-based combat, this news pleases me.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Now if only they could learn how to draw girls with muscles that also don't look like mutants. Not the most important thing, but it'd be nice.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Damn it! I don't own a PSP. Lord I hope they make this work on PSN too, that would be sweet...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I think I have a new reason for getting a PS Vita and this will certainly be one of the, if not the first download I'd buy.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
YES!
Glorious!
I... I think I just jizzed my pants.
Makes me so happy I own a PSP.

Black Phoenix

Iridescence
Sep 19, 2010
Damn you XSEED. Why do you have to bring this across when I have no money? That said, I had wondered what Vanillaware had been up to recently. Now to decide whether to import or wait for Rising Star Games to publish over here...

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
This is why I'm learning towards Vita. I haven't seen any JRPGs/Anime Fantasy Adventure games by Nintendo for their 3DS (not counting retreads). It also helps that the PSP isn't dead yet.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Strife2GFAQs said:
This is why I'm learning towards Vita. I haven't seen any JRPGs/Anime Fantasy Adventure games by Nintendo for their 3DS (not counting retreads). It also helps that the PSP isn't dead yet.
3DS got Shin Megami Tensei Overclocked which is really good. Still this is probably better :D

I think I saw some dude playing this some days ago he had a party full of little girls, it was kinda creppy. What's the release date for this again? Is it just Winter?