Wii U Version of Skyrim Is a Possibility, Says Bethesda

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Wii U Version of Skyrim Is a Possibility, Says Bethesda

An Elder Scrolls game on a Nintendo console isn't impossible, says Bethesda, as long as it doesn't take too much work to port it over.

Bethesda's PR boss Peter Hines says that Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316790110&sr=8-1] could make its way to the Wii U, as long as the conditions are right. He says that Bethesda will potentially look at any platform, as long as it can accommodate the kind of games the studio makes.

However, Hines said that having a platform that could support a game like Skyrim was crucial, because the more work that Bethesda had to do, the less appealing porting the game became. "Making a game is an enormous process," he said. "Just doing 360, PS3 and PC - I don't think people understand the amount of work that goes into that. All of the localization you have to do ... It's a pretty huge undertaking."

"You aren't just supporting the Wii U; you're supporting it in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish," he added.

The Wii U should be able to hold its own in terms of raw power against the PS3 and Xbox 360, which is a point in its favor, as well as having capabilities that they lack, most notably the large touch screen built into its controller. There's a lot that an Elder Scrolls game could do with that touch screen - it could make checking the map and fast travel a breeze - but as Hines says Bethesda has to feel like it's worth it before it will invest time, money, and effort into bringing the game over.

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim V comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: Official Nintendo Magazine [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/30781/skyrim-studio-wii-u-is-a-possibility/]

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I keep forgetting the wii U even exists...
Is this normal?

Novemeber 11 can't come fast enough >..<

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I think the day a a major Elder Scrolls game appears on a Nintendo console is the day that the PC Elitists will finally drink the Kool-Aid.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Do it!

It's really weird hearing about these type of games being on a Nintendo console after we had the Wii, my automatic reaction is "won't they have to downgrade the graphics loads?" but then I remember the Wii U is meant to be superpowered :p

Doesn't help that the Wii U has Wii in the name.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I think the day a a major Elder Scrolls game appears on a Nintendo console is the day that the PC Elitists will finally drink the Kool-Aid.
Ah, but can you download mods on the WiiU? That'll be the real draw for us PC elitists...well, for me, anyway.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Nooners said:
Paragon Fury said:
Ah, but can you download mods on the WiiU? That'll be the real draw for us PC elitists...well, for me, anyway.
96% of the mods for the Elder Scrolls (and any other game really) are absolute shit. About 2% are decent and 1% are actually good enough to be worth discussing.

That last 1% can be of varying quality but are not things you can discuss on a.......polite forum such as this.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Hopefully Nintendo won't make it impossible for the obvious DLC this game will have IF this game is ported.
It would probably come out long after the original. Thus it would probably be marketed with all the DLC on disc.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this to be honest. I still believe that Elder Scrolls games are meant to be played on PC, and this announcement does little to change that. But part of me wonders whether this is the start of Nintendo courting traditional `hardcore' developers.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
The Nintendo Shit (I refuse to call it anything else) would likely explode the moment that Skyrim was put in, not because of physical limitations mind you, but because the uber coolness of the Elder Scrolls series would not permit itself to be degraded by being put onto a Nintendo console. Akatosh would manifest itself into reality to destroy every Nintendo Shit along with every copy of Skyrim: the Nintendo Shit edition in existence, fueled only by rage and humiliation.

lobster22221

Feb 3, 2011
I'm a pc fan for the most part, but the only genre that shouldn't come to consoles is rts. As long as it is the full version, theres no (non-technical/financial)reason not too do it.

If this was using a wiimote, and not tablet: Basic controls: movement = nunchuck, attack/spell 1: nunchuck button, attack/spell 2: A/B, jump: A/B(switchable with attack/spell 2), block would be the other nunchuck button. Camera would be based off remote movement. - = pick up, + = interact.

the dpad could be used to go through a favorite action setup wheel(left and right). up + down could be used for something else. Maybe for choosing dialog(It is real time, is it not? This would allow you to move while talking) the accept button would be the jump button, since your not likely to need it while talking. Attacking would cancel the conversation, unless it was important, in which case the person would keep talking until another conversation branch came up, in which case it would reappear.
1 would be menu, 2 would hide the UI

Thoughts on this theoretical and unlikely setup? I'll admit the jump/attack talk thing might not work too well though

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, considering how long it'll be between the two being released, it'll likely be a GOTY edition with all the DLC on it. The screen could be used for inventory management, so that's something that'd be pretty nice. And while it'd probably not be as graphically powerful as the PC version, it's still likely have the most powerful graphics of the console versions. As for mods... that'll depend on how the system works. If it's anything like the Wii was, it'd be a little difficult, but it'd be possible to get mods on it.

As for the comment above me, Jabberwock... I'm going to assume that you're not a big fan of Nintendo? Maybe? Still, nice to see some people want to defend the "purity" of Skyrim by hating it being on big, bad, stupid Nintendo... but hey, if there is an edition on the WiiU, there'll also be plenty of patches for the numerous bugs that everybody should know there'll be in the game.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Nooners said:
Paragon Fury said:
96% of the mods for the Elder Scrolls (and any other game really) are absolute shit. About 2% are decent and 1% are actually good enough to be worth discussing.

That last 1% can be of varying quality but are not things you can discuss on a.......polite forum such as this.
1% of however many is still better than 0.

OT: I won't be getting Skyrim on it, but this means Bethesda will probably support it later on. At least that's definitely good news.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
That would be weird.

I don't know if it would be good or bad.

I just know it would be weird.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Lukeje said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Hopefully Nintendo won't make it impossible for the obvious DLC this game will have IF this game is ported.
It would probably come out long after the original. Thus it would probably be marketed with all the DLC on disc.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this to be honest. I still believe that Elder Scrolls games are meant to be played on PC, and this announcement does little to change that. But part of me wonders whether this is the start of Nintendo courting traditional `hardcore' developers.
Hey, if Nintendo was courting to the 'hardcore' developers Megaman Legends 3 would not have been cancelled. I don't buy that sentiment foe a second. Nintendo is Dreamcasting them selves to hard is like the late 90s all over again. Yes I used Dreamcast as a verb.

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Lukeje said:
AzrealMaximillion said:

Hey, if Nintendo was courting to the 'hardcore' developers Megaman Legends 3 would not have been cancelled. I don't buy that sentiment foe a second. Nintendo is Dreamcasting them selves to hard is like the late 90s all over again. Yes I used Dreamcast as a verb.
You are talking as is Nintendo had any kind of say about Megaman Legends 3. It was Capcom to make the decision, nintendo had no influence whatsoever in the development process. It's like, say, GTA 5 was cancelled on the PS3. You wouldn't blame Sony, you would blame Rockstar.