Valve Fast-Tracking Dota 2 to Release ASAP

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Valve Fast-Tracking Dota 2 to Release ASAP

After wanting to iterate for a while, Valve now plans to release Dota 2 soon.

Defense of the Ancients - that fateful WarCraft III map - has spawned a whole sub genre of real time strategy games. Some people have attempted to rebrand the genre as MOBA or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena but most still refer to it as DOTA, and Valve bought the rights to that name and hired some of the original team who made the WC3 map to make DOTA 1. The game was a success, but it is heavily competing with League of Legends for supremacy, who released a beta earlier this week. After a strong showing at the recent International tournament, Valve has decided to release the sequel early instead of waiting until all work was complete.

"Our original plan was to spend the next year or so in beta, adding new features and slowly growing the number of heroes until we reached a level of parity with Dota 1, at which point we'd release Dota 2 to the world," said IceFrog, the lead designer.

"But the feedback we're seeing everywhere is that people just want to play it, even though there's still a ton of heroes yet to be implemented," he said. "We've also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they've had. So we decided our original plan was dumb."

Enter Plan B. "We're going to take the current version of Dota 2 ... and get it out there as fast as we can," IceFrog said.

If you want to be involved with the beta, and have your thoughts on the game be known, head over to the Dota 2 site [http://dota2.com/login/auth/?goto=beta] to sign up.

Man, it seems like everyone is releasing betas this week. Was there some beta juice in the water on the West coast?

Source: Dota 2 [http://blog.dota2.com/2011/09/i-said-good-day-sir/]

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
*insert actual comment regarding subject in discussion* /facepalm wow valve shouldnt you be you know WORKING ON EP3 OR SOMETHING?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Hamish Durie said:
*insert actual comment regarding subject in discussion* /facepalm wow valve shouldnt you be you know WORKING ON EP3 OR SOMETHING?
FFFFFFF- god damn ninjas...

OT: While I like Valve's work, I've never actually played WC3, let alone DOTA. Nevertheless, I'll see what it's all about.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
I'm not sure if releasing an unfinished game is a great idea...but whatever...look at minecraft.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm a bit "Meh" on this. I missed the DotA train and HoN (closest thing to DotA) was too hostile to new players for me to ever give it more than a passing glance. So I'm stuck with LoL, but it's getting a bit stale at this point. However, they are about to release a new map and game mode, so that's likely to breathe some life back into it. On the other hand, DOTA2 might be something fresh, but at the same time it'll feature the same default trilane map that I've seen (and played to death) in LoL and HoN, so I'm a bit skeptical. There's also the matter of DOTA2's business model and if it will be acceptable to me...

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
It's a pity Cassiel stopped working on Tides of Blood and DOTA took over. :(

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, Valve is releasing a game early? WHAT??
This seems like a good idea, I'm just having some trouble digesting it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Greg Tito said:
"We've also seen that the folks who are already in the beta are chomping at the bit to show everyone else some of the fun games they've had."
OMG! How many times do I see this? The correct term is CHAMPING at the bit, CHAMPING! I hate to have to bring the old video out again but you've forced my hand...

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Hamish Durie said:
Actually, the DOTA 2 development team is a new team composed mostly of people involved with the original DOTA.
The Half-Life guys are the ones working on CS:GS if I'm not mistaken.
I want EP3 too.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
No matter how you slice it this is a bad idea, Valve releasing games sooner is a good thing, but this is outright rushing it.