OnLive Invades Britain With Sweet Launch Deals

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
OnLive Invades Britain With Sweet Launch Deals

UK gamers now have a new type of cloud to enjoy ...

It's taken a little while (just over a year, to be exact), but cloud gaming service OnLive has finally arrived in Britain. Now, UK gamers will get to see what their comrades across the pond have been taking advantage of since June 2010; meanwhile, the service is getting some help from various groups in establishing a foothold in the country.

British retailer GAME is the first physical store that is selling the OnLive Micro Console (which is currently selling for £69.99). However, it should be noted that "initial rollout will be limited to the group's websites."

Meanwhile, OnLive's broadband partner BT has a couple of sweet deals for new its customers interested in signing up with the game service: Even though a normal subscription fee is normally £6.99 per month, the first three months will be absolutely free. On top of that, BT is providing an offer where one game valued up to £39.99 can instead be purchased for £1. Finally, OnLive content won't count towards data usage until this coming January.

Has anyone over in the UK actually picked up an OnLive Micro Console yet and started using the service? Here in the United States, the service has proven (generally) reliable, but things don't always go smoothly when something like this is is launched on a brand new continent.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-22-onlive-launches-in-uk-with-game-as-retail-partner>GamesIndustry.biz

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
It's an interesting idea, but there aren't enough good games on the subscription model to warrant getting involved in my opinion. If every game they had on their site was in the subscription I'd definitely sign up provided I could stream the games well enough.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
the games are £39.99? may aswell just buy them new and actually own the game.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
ryo02 said:
Pretty much this, if this so called "cloud" is the way of the future then i fear for the worst.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
ryo02 said:
Well the idea is that you can play games at super-high end PC quality without needing a £3000 PC, you only need a fast internet connection. I imagine that console fanboi's (not saying you are one) will over look this point entirely.

OT : I wish i could demo it but my internet is not fast enough.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
ryo02 said:
You can also get a £6.99 monthly subscription allowing you to play most games as much as you want, apart from the newest releases.

I recieved a free Onlive console yesterday at Eurogamer Expo. Not only that, I then won the raffle, they gave me 4 free games and 2 4 day tickets to next years Eurogamer. I'll be using the 4 free games on a couple of the big releases coming out soon, that I don't intend to replay or play multiplayer on.

As for the service, at the minute it isn't playing nice using my laptop as a wifi bridge. Only problem with the console is it's wired only. But I think the problem is my laptop, not the box. I connected the console direct to my router earlier and played some Dirt 3, and it looked pretty good on my TV, and I didn't really notice any input lag, so seems pretty good to me.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
RagTagBand said:
ryo02 said:
Well the idea is that you can play games at super-high end PC quality without needing a £3000 PC, you only need a fast internet connection. I imagine that console fanboi's (not saying you are one) will over look this point entirely.

In which country do you live in where a high end gaming PC costs £3000?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Mr.Amakir said:
RagTagBand said:
ryo02 said:
I imagine that he is exaggerating. At least I hope so.

I imagine that he is exaggerating. At least I hope so.

RagTagBand said:
ryo02 said:

I am going to, for now, assume that you are exaggerating.

In case, however, you aren't, let me tell you this: My mate 2 months ago built a PC for less than £500, and it meets the recommended specs they recently released for Battlefield 3. So gaming PC's aren't that expensive anymore.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Well considering that most of the UK doesn't have the speed necessary to use Onlive with any great quality, this is bad.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
Im not sure how they plan to overcome the some what patchy broadband speeds in the UK but good luck to em.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm getting a free one (connections, woo!), but the service is just too damn expensive. People will put up with consoles, but not this. Also, internet costs are really high in the UK, and if BT are business partners, you just know that people that use other suppliers are going to get shafted.

Dec 14, 2009
This is going to fail so badly that there isn't even a word for how much it will fail.

I shall make one.

Uberfailous maximus

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
This is going to fail so badly that there isn't even a word for how much it will fail.

I shall make one.

Uberfailous maximus
The naysayers have been saying that since day one. OnLive proven them wrong every time. As prices go, Onlive has so many promotions it make Steam look expensive.

Dec 14, 2009
Baldr said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I shall make one.

Uberfailous maximus
The naysayers have been saying that since day one. OnLive proven them wrong every time. As prices go, Onlive has so many promotions it make Steam look expensive.
Not in the UK, with very inconsistent internet speeds, you'll be lucky to run the damn thing.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
OK, I haven't really been following this but, what is OnLive? The first time I'd ever heard of it was with that whole GameStop/ Deus Ex thing.

Dec 14, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
OK, I haven't really been following this but, what is OnLive? The first time I'd ever heard of it was with that whole GameStop/ Deus Ex thing.
It's a cloud gaming service.

It basically means that the 'console' doesn't run the game, one of OnLive's servers will run the game at the best performance and you play the game on your end.

It pretty much relies on having a high speed internet connection, which let's face it, doesn't really exist in the UK.

Also, you don't own any of the games, despite paying for them.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Catchy Slogan said:

It basically means that the 'console' doesn't run the game, one of OnLive's servers will run the game at the best performance and you play the game on your end.

It pretty much relies on having a high speed internet connection, which let's face it, doesn't really exist in the UK.

Well. This sound rather unreliable. I'm already with Sky (which sucks in my area) and BT has a nasty habit of throttling your connection because it assumes your a thief if you download anything.

Dec 14, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Catchy Slogan said:

Well. This sound rather unreliable. I'm already with Sky (which sucks in my area) and BT has a nasty habit of throttling your connection because it assumes your a thief if you download anything.
Tell me about it. I'll be lucky if I can get 3 meg from BT where I live.

[http://www.speedtest.net]

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Catchy Slogan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Catchy Slogan said:

Tell me about it. I'll be lucky if I can get 3 meg from BT where I live.

[http://www.speedtest.net]
Well, at least it's slightly better than mine, overall.

The most annoying thing is that we used to be with Virgin Media, but the folks changed to SKY even though Virgin Media is better in every concievable way.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Mr.Amakir said:
RagTagBand said:
ryo02 said:

England.

And I know this might blow your mind but "High end" actually means "High end" not "High end for someone who's never spent more than £500 on a computer before". One high end processor can send you back £1000 alone and one High end GPU can send you back another £600.

So no, i'm not exaggerating, Your standards of "High end" are just significantly lower than mine.
razer17 said:
In case, however, you aren't, let me tell you this: My mate 2 months ago built a PC for less than £500, and it meets the recommended specs they recently released for Battlefield 3. So gaming PC's aren't that expensive anymore.
Well thats great but the recommended specs for BF3 are only for its medium settings, probably without AA and probably not at a high resolution or very good FPS (1600x1080 probably, at 24+fps).

The community manager at DICE has stated that if you want to play BF3 on the PC and get the same visual experience that has been showcased in the demo's then you're going to need at least two GTX580's in SLI mode...those two GPU's alone cost more than your friends entire computer.

I hate to break it to you, but Gaming PC's are still quite expensive (~£1500+), but your mate does not have a Gaming PC...he has a cheap PC that adequately plays games.