Katamari Amore Headed To iOS Next Week

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Katamari Amore Headed To iOS Next Week

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na! A brand new Katamari Damacy game is set for release on iOS gadgets on September 29.

Dubbed Katamari Amore (because the series is big on overt affection), the game features ... actually, I'll just let publisher Namco Bandai explain:

The game totals 24 missions including six completely new stages and four Mission Modes: Story, Time Attack, Exact Size Challenge and Eternal Mode. Additionally, one Extra Stage is included with PAC-MAN making a special appearance. Similar to the original, various control methods are supported: Accelerometer or Virtual Pad controls, the latter including single or double virtual pad options. Additional content packs with past and future stages are in development, set to release at a later date.

According to the press release, the game will appear in two flavors. The "lite" iteration will be free and include a single time attack level, while the full version will set you back $4 and include all of that stuff the company mentioned above.

As usual, both versions can be found on Apple's App Store.

Before I say what I'm about say, I want to point out that I adore the Katamari Damacy series. It's everything quirky and experimental about Japanese game design in one simple, fun package.

That said, the series has been on a decline since the original. The previous iOS game (2008's I Love Katamari) ran like a leprous dog on the hardware of the time, and all the gameplay seemed recycled from earlier, better Katamari titles.

I hope that Katamari Amore is a return to form. I'm going to buy it regardless because I have no impulse control, but I will glower sternly at Namco Bandai if slowdown or incomplete level design hinders my ball-rolling adventures.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Stupid iOS, stealing the best games. I don't understand why they go with that instead of Android. Android is a much larger platform with a lot more variety of devices... which might be why as well, as it might be hard to get an idea of how powerful the machine should be. But still I hated missing out on the Alice: Madness Returns iOS game, and I'm going to hate missing out on this.

Adam Adkison

Mar 14, 2011
Katamari is for a niche market, but one it fills well. Ever since my ps2 died I've been having these Katamari Damacy cravings, even going so far to find the soundtracks for the games. I don't know anything about iOS, can it be played on a computer? I'll gladly pay $4 for it.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Sounds exciting. Need to play me some Katamari. Which reminds me.

javascript:var i,s,ss=['http://kathack.com/js/kh.js','http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.1/jquery.min.js'];for(i=0;i!=ss.length;i++){s=document.createElement('script');s.src=ss;document.body.appendChild(s);}void(0);

Google this. Go to Wikipedia. Find the longest article you can. Epicosity ensues.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Adam Adkison said:
Katamari is for a niche market, but one it fills well. Ever since my ps2 died I've been having these Katamari Damacy cravings, even going so far to find the soundtracks for the games. I don't know anything about iOS, can it be played on a computer? I'll gladly pay $4 for it.
iOS = iPhone, iPad, etc.
So no, you can't :(

Meanwhile, the call for an Android version will go unheard Q.Q

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Everyone needs to understand, the malleable and constantly upgraded Android OS will never get a lot of games. iPhones release a new iteration every year, and are by and large almost completely unchanged from the previous version, meaning that they make a game for it and it's good for a while and can most likely run on older iterations of the device. Android is more accessible for everyone, but it's this very accessibility that prevents it from getting a lot of good games such as this. They put Android on some great devices and shit loads of crappy devices that would never be able to run this game in a million years. I have an Atrix which has a 3D graphic accelerator and a dual core processor. Most Android devices barely clock in at a single core graphic processor that runs at 1 ghz. And most do not have any form of graphic card. I love Android, I love it to death, but we will not get any Katamari love. It's just not in the stars for us.