Developer Seeks FDA Approval For Schizophrenia Therapy Game

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Developer Seeks FDA Approval For Schizophrenia Therapy Game

Brain Plasticity Inc. is seeking government approval to market its cognitive games as a treatment for schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia isn't just about hearing voices; patients often experience difficulties with memory and attention in addition to the extrasensory symptoms associated with the disease. Brain Plasticity Inc., a San-Francisco based cognitive games developer, is now beginning its application to the Food and Drugs Administration [http://www.fda.gov/] to approve its cognitive games as a therapy for these aspects of the disease.

Brain Plasticity Inc.'s games are modeled on cognitive exercises developed by $2 million awarded [http://www.positscience.com/] by the Department of Defense for cognitive games therapy for war veterans with brain trauma).

As technology becomes more sophisticated, therapeutic gaming is something we're going to hear about more and more. War veterans suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder have found some measure of relief from Virtual Iraq [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9125-The-New-War-on-Terror], a game which allows them, guided by their therapists, to seek closure by reliving the sights, sounds and smells of the experiences that injured them; if Brain Plasticity Inc.'s games can go any way to assisting schizophrenia patients with performing routine functions without hassle, then this project will have succeeded. In the future, patients could leave their doctor's office with a precription for a game in their hand; what's more, it might actually improve their lives.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20962-maker-of-cognitive-training-game-seeks-fda-approval.html]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Mistake number 1 - seeking FDA approval.

Fun fact, it takes 3 years of testing and $500million dollars to get a treatment approved by the FDA. I know that is one very good reason why prescription drugs are so expensive in America (above and beyond the oft mentioned greed).

You guys are about to see the most expensive software on the planet.

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
Shamus Young said:
Schizophrenia Therapy? That's stupid. What a waste of time.
Imagine what it could mean, gaming would not be seen as a child's play thing anymoreand that can only be a good thing.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Schizophrenia Therapy? That's really interesting. Can't wait to read more.
Shamus Young said:
Schizophrenia Therapy? That's stupid. What a waste of time.
Nice. First I was like "What?", then I was like "Clever Girl."
OT: This is cool. Best of luck to them. Hope it works.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Wait, you need FDA approval to be recognized as a medical treatment in the US? I would think there was some sort of health-centric organization, not the guys who decide whether or not cheese-like butter products can be called cheese.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The Random One said:
Wait, you need FDA approval to be recognized as a medical treatment in the US? I would think there was some sort of health-centric organization, not the guys who decide whether or not cheese-like butter products can be called cheese.
FDA approval isn't necessary at all. But if they want to be recognized as a valid form of therapy, this would seem to be necessary. Truthfully, I doubt it would pass, not initially anyway. Drug companies jump through all kinds of hoops to get different therapies through. It's very interesting, but the mere act of applying for FDA approval is like stepping up to the foot of Mt Everest and acting like you accomplished something. I could make a home remedy out of things from my cupboard and apply for an FDA approval. And a few million dollars will only scratch the surface of the money necessary to get it. A few years back some congress person thought vitamins should have to pass FDA approval. The sad part was that as an industry at the time, it would net about $280 Million annually. Which covers just a little more than a half of the cost. But that is the whole industry combined. And the talk was for each vitamin getting approval, since different vitamins claimed different healthful benefits.

Tl;DR - in America, something cannot be deemed a medical treatment without FDA approval.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
What I don't understand is why it costs millions of dollars for "approval", unless that word means something else entirely when it comes to medicine.