Blockbuster Offers Journalists Bribes For Anti-Netflix Tweets

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Blockbuster Offers Journalists Bribes For Anti-Netflix Tweets

Contrary to Brendan Behan's logic, there is such a thing as bad publicity, and this is some really bad publicity.

No one can say that the past few weeks have been easy for Netflix, what with the outraged customers and stock market pummeling it's been dealing with, but these have been nothing compared to the last couple of years that Blockbuster Video has been having. Not only has the rental company shut down the vast majority of its stores, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.234370-Blockbuster-Fizzles-Into-Bankruptcy>faded away into bankruptcy, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106238-Blockbuster-Cant-Brag-About-New-Releases-Anymore>lost out on the deal that may have helped the chain survive, but now it's been caught trying to bribe journalists in exchange for some positive press.

Following Netflix's announcement that it was going to spin off its DVD mail service (which would also feature game rentals) into a new company called Qwickster, Blockbuster apparently decided that it wanted to capitalize on the tough time its competitor was facing. According to Side Questing, <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/taswell>Ryan Davis of Giant Bomb was contacted, via Twitter, by Blockbuster's official Twitter account. The message stated that if Davis announced he was leaving Netflix in favor of Blockbuster Total Access (Blockbuster's competing DVD mail service), he would receive a year's worth of service free of charge.

Davis, unsurprisingly, took a screenshot and posted it, seen at right. It turns out he wasn't the only journalist Blockbuster attempted to bribe; Hunch.com's Chris Dixon and Time.com's Harry McCracken both revealed that the same offer had been tweeted at them, too.

Blockbuster, meanwhile, has announced a new contest on Twitter. Basically, if readers were willing to publicly tweet that they were going to leave Netflix, the reason for their departure, and include the hash-tag "#GoodbyeNetflix", they would be entered into a random drawing for the same free one-year subscription that was offered to Davis.

Nothing about Blockbuster's offer is actually illegal, but it's certainly on the scummy side of the spectrum. Not only that, but it also shows a pretty stunning lack of common sense; when you attempt to bribe journalists, you shouldn't be surprised when they call you out in public. The fact that the company didn't have the good grace to even acknowledge that what it did was wrong is even more stunning.

Source: Side Questing

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
All the blockbusters in my area have shut down. Actually I had thought all of them were shutting down. I guess in hard times they're willing to do anything to garner business.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
HAHA, morons! I mean, a cash bribe may have worked if it were substantial enough, but this is just ridiculous. I had a gamefly account with my roommate. We got two games at a time for $20 per month. I mean, that works out to only $120 per year, each... that is a shit bribe. They deserve what comes to them.

On the other hand, it's almost like offering for free with a "like" on facebook. Just the negative version of it. It just seems like really terrible marketing from that perspective.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'm taking the "it's fake" route

nobody would be stupid enough to offer a bribe through god damn Twitter

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Uh, yeah. Free for a year from a business that's on it's way down the toilet. Yeah. Good luck finding someone foolish enough to take that offer.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
teh_Canape said:

Now you say that, but history has shown that people have an immense capacity for stupid when they're desperate.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kind of a weird thing to do, I mean if they were smart and just ramped up advertising for their own stuff then they could have grabbed some of the market. Trying to pull this sort of thing almost never works once it becomes known.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/43/43459.jpg

The thing that takes the boneheadedness up to eleven is communication with JOURNALISTS (who get paid more for these kinds of stories) on TWITTER (a public network).

Did this idea undergo any common sense checks? I'm thinking "No".

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
20 years ago when Blockbuster was relevant. A small chain video rental store open in my town across the street from Blockbuster. They offered a free first movie rental with membership if you turned in your Blockbuster card, which they then stapled up behind the counter.

Now it's come full circle.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
teh_Canape said:

https://twitter.com/#!/blockbuster/status/117014288446652418

You sure about that?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm glad Blockbuster is going out of business now.

Screw those guys. They're just mad that Netflix came up with a really great idea first.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
So, why is it Blockbuster in the UK seems to be of a different breed than Blockbuster in the US? Here, Blockbuster is still going strong and actually offers a decent service. Over there, suddenly everything sounds like Bizzaro Blockbuster.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Blockbuster got saved by Dish Networks and Netflix is going down the tubes. I even read that Starz left Netflix and joined up with Blockbuster, not sure how true that is.

I think Netflix is wounded and competitors can smell the blood. I looked into getting Amazon Prime today as a possible replacement for Netflix and I know I am not the only one looking for an alternative to Netflix.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Wait, wait, wait...Blockbuster still exists? I thought that it was chillin' with Dinosaurs and Dodo birds right now.

OT: If that's true it's pretty shady.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
mew4ever23 said:
Uh, yeah. Free for a year from a business that's on it's way down the toilet. Yeah. Good luck finding someone foolish enough to take that offer.
FREE you say?

I'LL TAKE IT!

In all seriousness, this isn't illegal. But I certainly don't see them winning over any good faith for this. I could go on a list of reasons why Blockbuster sucks - their prices for a single DVD instantly were almost as much as a month subscription for unlimited movies per month (only one or two at a time out of course), which took 1 business day to arrive. Their customer service was aweful, their selection of games and DVD's was awful, and good luck getting a hold of a new release via rental for a while.

Seriously, it only lasted because services like Netflix and Redbox didn't exist. Once people could get media, en masse, cheaply, often with a better selection, there was no need for Blockbuster. Netflix and Redbox don't require you to keep an extra ID, which you are charged for getting. Even the worst part of Netflixes service - the Instant Queue, is vastly more appealing than the idea of Blockbuster - the video selection was pretty much the same and atleast it lets me watch seasons of TV shows.

I don't see people going back to Blockbuster. Its a company that went under once - people usually don't have faith in companies like that. Its a new guy in a market that will eat it alive if it can't supply a constant pump of new releases. It's gonna lose out against competition that can offer streaming content, Video Game rentals, etc. And good luck getting people to capitalize on your product when the company that just had a weak spot in its armor offered a free month of service to EVERY customer that has stopped using their product as an appology to their loyalist. That seems a hell of a lot better than being entered for a CHANCE to win a free year of service.

People aren't idiot. They don't like to be messed around with, and will fight you tooth and nail over EVERYTHING. Thats what sparks competition. People don't like when companies try to play them as suckers and play dirty. If you show no shame in dealing with competition, how will you deal with customers?

What they did was not illegal, but I can guarentee it won't be helping them much in the long run either.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I just checked the hashtag #GoodbyeNetflix on twitter to see the responses. Most of them were people tweeting the news, followed closely by people making fun of Blockbuster saying they weren't leaving Netflix and one was legitimately leaving because of the name Qwickster. I don't know why I find this interesting or why any of you would, but now you know.