Live Action Uncharted Hits Japanese TVs

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Live Action Uncharted Hits Japanese TVs

The greatest mystery of the Uncharted series may be how Nathan Drake became Japanese.

Wouldn't Uncharted make a great TV show? TV Tokyo sure thinks so. Nathan Drake's exploits have action, adventure, mystery, romance, and impossibly beautiful people - who will soon come to life with real actors. A seven-minute dramatization of the upcoming Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception will air in early October on the Japanese network. It's not clear just how TV Tokyo plans to squeeze the treasure-hunting tale into the space of two average commercial breaks, but it will probably take equal parts ingenuity and hair gel.

If Sony's eye-breaking controllers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112794-Sony-Bringing-Out-Ugly-Uncharted-3-Controller] are any indication, Uncharted has a huge presence in Japan. A promotional television piece in preparation for the game is not surprising, but hiring live actors to perform the game's entire plot (TV Tokyo promises a "dramatization of the complete, action-packed story") seems unorthodox, to say the least. For one thing, Uncharted and its sequel easily clocked in at 10-15 hours, and Uncharted 3 is likely to do the same. Fitting that story into less than ten minutes won't be easy. Even if TV Tokyo succeeds, it runs the risk of revealing some of the plot points that would otherwise entice players to buy and play the game.

A one-sentence TV listing is hardly gospel, so the show may end up being more of a teaser than a comprehensive story guide. For now, both Eastern and Western series fans will have to wait till Monday to see a real-live Nathan Drake spouting witticisms in Japanese. The special will air at 11:53 PM on October 2, 2011.

Source: 1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/uncharted-dramatization-air-toky]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Is it more racist that he was made japanese(yellow washing?) or to question that a japanese actor was cast ince hollywood does it all the time with white people?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I'm not surprised. I've read about actors who go there and say the Japanese like a lot of over-the-top drama and really goofy humor in productions that we wouldn't want/expect in western shows. Like... screaming into the air with fists raised when frustrated kinda stuff.

manythings said:
Is it more racist that he was made japanese(yellow washing?) or to question that a japanese actor was cast ince hollywood does it all the time with white people?
Probably not in this case, but they are VERY conservative about race relations in Japan. They're as ass-backwards as Texans in a lot of areas.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I can't picture Uncharted in Japanese. I can picture Crash Bandicoot (Naughty Dog's version) in JP, I can probably picture Jak and Daxter in JP as well, but this game, hearing Nathan Drake saying witty stuff in Japanese feels weird.

*tries to picture it again*

Nope. Still can't picture it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
How is this a surprise to anyone? How many anime and Japanese video game characters are treasure hunters after all? They love Indiana Jones ripoffs over there.