Apple's Announcing A New iPhone Next Week

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Apple's Announcing A New iPhone Next Week

Apple wants to "talk iPhone" at a press conference next week, but it won't reveal much else

We've all known that Apple's new iPhone would be appearing on the market in the near future, especially <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112731-Another-Apple-Prototype-Goes-Missing-In-A-Bar>after a prototype was lost in a San Francisco bar (again). Now, Apple is ready to share the magical secrets of this device with the world, and the company is planning to unveil it next week on October 4th.

The company sent out an e-vite to several prominent tech journalists with the image seen here. It may seem random, but there's a method to Apple's madness:

Going from top left and clockwise we have: The date of the announcement, the time, the number "1" (does that mean only one new model?), and the address for Apple's HQ at 1 Infinite Loop.

At the moment, no one's entirely sure what to expect with this new model, though the <a href=http://www.businessinsider.com/new-iphone-5-features-2011-9>internet is currently rife with rumors and predictions like a gigabyte of RAM, a voice control "Assistant" feature, and an 8 MP camera that shoots full 1080p HD video all seem reasonable. One thing that almost everyone's agreeing on is that Apple will announce the iPhone's arrival with cell carrier Sprint.

Apple, of course, is content to remain tight-lipped and mysterious until next week.

Source: Geek

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Apple's business model:

"We know we told you the model that you paid $500 for last year was the best, just like we told you about the model we released the year before, and the year before that. But trust us, this model will be the best!

*coughcoughuntilnextyearcoughcough*".

Also, this seems appropriate.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
What? A new iPhone release just over a year after the last one? How absurd. Excuse me while I call hell, because apparently they must have frozen over and I've been wanting to go ice skating.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
What Apple doesn't want you to know is that it's buying Scrooge McDuck's vault to serve as its new headquarters.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
vansau said:
What Apple doesn't want you to know is that it's buying Scrooge McDuck's vault to serve as its new headquarters.
You're telling me Apple can afford that?! When did this happen!?

broadbandaddict

Jun 12, 2010
ChildofGallifrey said:
Apple's business model:

"We know we told you the model that you paid $500 for last year was the best, just like we told you about the model we released the year before, and the year before that. But trust us, this model will be the best!

I love Futurama! :D

Anyways I'm pretty sure this is how most companies work.... just look at Intel or AMD, same thing. How else are they gonna make money?

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
They have to come out with new iPhones every year - have you ever had to deal with an iPhone for a year?

Lemme tell you about mine - the lock button no longer works. So it won't lock when I want it to. It will, however, decide to lock whenever I'm using it. And it will precede to lock, for however long it wants to have a fit for, no matter how much I press the home key. This usually just results in it taking screen caps.

THEN THE BACKLIGHT WENT OUT. Lemme tell you how fun it is to use an iphone when the backlight is dead - its akin to wiping your ass with a coathanger.

THEY WERE IMPRESSIVE WHEN THEY WEREN'T THE ONLY SMARTPHONE ON THE MARKET. ADDING A GIG OF RAM WON'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOUR PHONES ARE CRAP.

Seriously. They arent even stepping up their game. Why do people put up with it?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Meh.. wait for Amazon Kindle Fire.

I hear its only $200. I hope it takes a chunk out of Apple's sales

EDIT: oops. I read it as iPad. but still I find Amazon Kindle Fire way more interesting.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Yay! Yet another opportunity to laugh at everyone who went bonkers and purchased an iphone 4 at release :D

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not going to consider getting it if it's thinner than the Iphone 4. The thickness of the Iphone 4 is damn-near perfect size for me.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
probably the same damn thing!
with the exception of the outward appearance and a second camera THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE 3GS AND 4!
besides all that extra power isn't going to do anything if you block homebrew and limit third party stuff.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
henritje said:
with the exception of the outward appearance and a second camera THERE ISN'T A DAMN THING DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE 3GS AND 4!
besides all that extra power isn't going to do anything if you block homebrew and limit third party stuff.
Retina display says what. LED flash, autofocus, HD recording, gyro, mic noise suppression, longer battery, facetime, etc

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
vansau said:
Apple currently has more money than the American government and it comes as no surprise that Apple is still executing this business plan of theirs but believe me i still love their ipod's because i happen to use one of their older models but i still don't like what they are currently up to.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Apple's business model:

Is it wrong that apple's products get better over time? Unlike umm *CoughMicrosoftCough*

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Waaghpowa said:
vansau said:
Apple currently has more money than the American government and it comes as no surprise that Apple is still executing this business plan of theirs but believe me i still love their ipod's because i happen to use one of their older models but i still don't like what they are currently up to.
Just curious, what are they up to that you don't like? Factory conditions? Best in the entire tech industry. Environmental impact? Also, best in the entire tech industry. Customer satisfaction? Like the others.
Or is it the speed that they update their products, because I actually like that, while it does make you feel stupid for buying one last year.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
They have to come out with new iPhones every year - have you ever had to deal with an iPhone for a year?

Lemme tell you about mine - the lock button no longer works. So it won't lock when I want it to. It will, however, decide to lock whenever I'm using it. And it will precede to lock, for however long it wants to have a fit for, no matter how much I press the home key. This usually just results in it taking screen caps.

THEN THE BACKLIGHT WENT OUT. Lemme tell you how fun it is to use an iphone when the backlight is dead - its akin to wiping your ass with a coathanger.

THEY WERE IMPRESSIVE WHEN THEY WEREN'T THE ONLY SMARTPHONE ON THE MARKET. ADDING A GIG OF RAM WON'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOUR PHONES ARE CRAP.

Seriously. They arent even stepping up their game. Why do people put up with it?
Maybe take it to an apple store? Either their product quality or their customer service gives them the highest consumer satisfaction in their industry..

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Another iPhone? What a big surprise... No thank you, I'll stick to Android phones. My HTC Inspire is running super fast and stable after rooting it. Besides I vowed I would never buy another crappy Apple product again. They're like Activision with Call of Duty. Just release the same thing each year with slightly updated features.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
brainslurper said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Waaghpowa said:
vansau said:
Just curious, what are they up to that you don't like? Factory conditions? Best in the entire tech industry. Environmental impact? Also, best in the entire tech industry. Customer satisfaction? Like the others.
Or is it the speed that they update their products, because I actually like that, while it does make you feel stupid for buying one last year.
It sounds to me like your putting Apple in the best light right there while i do agree with some aspects of their technology as being great some others in the industry are not and their factory conditions are at best but the need to mass produce the same exact product with minor changes does not exactly seem like the best idea let alone show good intentions of promising an increase in advanced technology when they could just spend a couple of years and make an entirely complete different model far compared to the last one.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
henritje said:
I'll give you a hint. There isn't a single carrier in the US that actually comes even close to meeting the 4G wireless standard. It's all a damn lie to make everyone think it's new. It's actually just a slight 3G speed bump, which was matched by the 3GS bump.