Battlefield 3 Open Beta Begins With Advice from DICE

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Battlefield 3 Open Beta Begins With Advice from DICE

Battlefield 3 designers divulge ten tips for success in the game's beta; some are helpful, some not so much.

The Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta is now officially open to anyone with a healthy Internet connection and a PC, PlayStation 3, or Xbox 360. It's been a long wait, but gamers can finally headshot and stealth-knife their peers in the war game's Rush mode, a vehicle-laden, team vs. team brawl on the map Operation Métro.

The beta can be found for free in the "demo" section of either PSN or XBL. If you're a PC gamer, you'll first need to download Origin and sign up for a free account before you can get your hands on the file. Once you've downloaded the game, DICE has released ten hints to help get you started.

DICE'S TOP 10 BATTLEFIELD 3 OPERATION MÉTRO TIPS

1. Stick to your teammates, and remember to spawn on them to stay close to the fight.

2. Use your kit specific abilities to help your teammates. Assault can hand out med kits, Engineers can repair vehicles, and Support can hand out ammo.

3. Make sure, when you have armed an M-COM station, that you defend it to make sure it is destroyed.

4. The bombed-out tunnel section in Operation Métro is an excellent place to use a flashlight as one of your weapon attachments. Use it to light the tunnels up - and to blind your enemies.

5. Attach bipods to your weapon and deploy it automatically by pushing up against cover or going prone and zooming in - this gives you a huge increase in accuracy and stability.

6. Use suppressive shooting (fire close to enemies behind cover) to negatively effect the enemy's fighting capabilities.

7. Watch out for falling debris as this can hurt you. But you can also hurt your enemies by taking out buildings with the Engineer's RPG.

8. Shotguns are excellent for CQC (Close Quarters Combat) in the tighter tunnels sections.

9. Fire automatic weapons in short bursts for accuracy, or switch to single fire mode if applicable.

10. To grab your enemy's dog tag as a souvenir, do a stealth knife kill from behind.

While some of DICE's tips should be common knowledge (for instance, if you didn't already know number 8, I worry about you) some are pretty telling about what we can expect from the gameplay. We now know that debris hurts, that it's difficult see with an enemy pointing his flashlight in your face, and that you can only nab dog tags with stealth kills. It should also be noted that DICE has very cleverly made seven of its ten tips involve abilities not available in the rival Call of Duty series (or eight if you count that Battlefield 3 offers point bonuses to those offering suppressing fire).

While the beta only offers one mode and one map, I'm still extremely excited to get home and download the program. If you can't grab it tonight, however, just make sure you do before October 10th when the beta ends and you have to wait for full release on the 25th.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/09/29/welcome-to-the-battlefield-3-open-beta/]

Apr 28, 2008
Nice tips.

But tell me DICE, how do I actually get the squad I'm in before joining ON THE SAME TEAM AS ME?! Or to actually put us in the same damn squad?

Multiple times me and my friends would squad up, search for a game, and we'd never all be in the same squad. Hell, some(me) even got put on the damn opposing team.

This is of course ignoring all the other issues with the beta on the 360. Clipping through geometry, enemies turning invisible and the killcam zooms into their dead body from ages ago twirling a weapon, no spawn-shielding meaning lots of snipers spawn-killing, and a host of other small issues that REALLY need to be fixed.

Yes it's a beta, but it's also three and a half weeks until release, which does not give much time to give this thing the polish and fixes it really needs.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Sooooo, dices advice is "just keep doing what your supposed to do in these games"?

Having a blast in it right now, running and gunning like a maniac.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Irridium said:
Nice tips.

But tell me DICE, how do I actually get the squad I'm in before joining ON THE SAME TEAM AS ME?! Or to actually put us in the same damn squad?

Multiple times me and my friends would squad up, search for a game, and we'd never all be in the same squad. Hell, some(me) even got put on the damn opposing team.

This is of course ignoring all the other issues with the beta on the 360. Clipping through geometry, enemies turning invisible and the killcam zooms into their dead body from ages ago twirling a weapon, no spawn-shielding meaning lots of snipers spawn-killing, and a host of other small issues that REALLY need to be fixed.

Yes it's a beta, but it's also three and a half weeks until release, which does not give much time to give this thing the polish and fixes it really needs.
These kind of "betas" tend to be more like demos, just generating hype. While I hope and expect to see some of this stuff fixed (the massive geometry holes, invisible enemies and killcam zooms), stuff like spawn killing and other issues probably won't have time to be addressed. And if DICE performs like they did for BC2, then yeah... it might be months before even anything gets fixed.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
It's not a vehicle laden map and I don't know why they even mention the engineer's repair ability because it's absolutely useless when there's not a single vehicle. I can appreciate DICE wanting to switch up the gameplay a bit with a different map style, but I personally think this was a poor choice of map for a Battlefield Beta. Also the destruction engine is fairly tame on this map as well so it seriously makes no sense why they would use this to sort of debut their game to the public, don't get me wrong still having a blast just not as much of one if it was a proper battlefield map...

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Played some Caspian conquest map on the PC 64 player, and let me reassure BF fans that the Metro map is underwhelming compared to the Caspian map, its actually a bad demo as the best parts of a BF title are actually missing... making the Metro map a generic shooter.

BF fans, the true BF 3 game is awesome ( buggy, but awesome )... Metro is just a shell of BF 3.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Blah! Looks like another generic green and brown army shooter in a sea of generic green and brown army shooters.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Vehicle laden?

I hope they don't mean usable vehicles because as far as i can see it is an infantry only affair.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
ASnogarD said:
Played some Caspian conquest map on the PC 64 player, and let me reassure BF fans that the Metro map is underwhelming compared to the Caspian map, its actually a bad demo as the best parts of a BF title are actually missing... making the Metro map a generic shooter.

BF fans, the true BF 3 game is awesome ( buggy, but awesome )... Metro is just a shell of BF 3.
Good, I hate Metro so far.

OT: Found what is either a glitch or just really annoying. I got into a fire fight with someone, he killed me, and when his stats popped up he had 0% health. Also had a hit cursor come up when I shot at someone yet his stats said he still had full health.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ser Imp said:
They're Helping us win the game? I think these DICE are loaded
You forgot your glasses there. Allow me. "puts on sunglasses"

Just once, I want a game to portray realistic shotguns. You know, guns that don't lose their effective range after ten feet? The ones that can kill at up to 100 feet?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Ser Imp said:

Just once, I want a game to portray realistic shotguns. You know, guns that don't lose their effective range after ten feet? The ones that can kill at up to 100 feet?
Thats actually inconsiderate. And in fact, you should complain and hope that DICE nerfed the other guns. Im sorry, but people snipe in Bad Company 2 with assault rifles easily, and sniping was incredibly overpowered. i knwo MANY friends who quit the game because sniping was just too damn easy, against and for them. You forget this is a video game,where people have leet skills and shooting a gun is just clicking a mouse. if guns like the shotgun had realistic skills, theyd completely unbalance gameplay and moot all other weapons except for snipers. WICH ARE ALSO OVERPOWERED ALREADY.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Anyone else having issues playing the Beta on PC? It says my browser "isn't fully compatible, soldier" or something, and Chrome is on the supported list... why don't you help me with that, DICE. And I'm not the only one with the problem.

Ah, at least I can play it on Xbox for now :)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
draythefingerless said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Ser Imp said:

Thats actually inconsiderate. And in fact, you should complain and hope that DICE nerfed the other guns. Im sorry, but people snipe in Bad Company 2 with assault rifles easily, and sniping was incredibly overpowered. i knwo MANY friends who quit the game because sniping was just too damn easy, against and for them. You forget this is a video game,where people have leet skills and shooting a gun is just clicking a mouse. if guns like the shotgun had realistic skills, theyd completely unbalance gameplay and moot all other weapons except for snipers. WICH ARE ALSO OVERPOWERED ALREADY.
Sniper shotguns that can instakill at 200 feet.

No problem.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Realism does not equal fun.

You know a game that portrayed the most realistic shotgun? Modern Warfare 2 Spas.

That also happened to be one of the most overpowered game in a thing filled with overpoweredness.

Realistic shotgun ranges do not translate well in videogames.