BioWare May (Eventually) Go For A Mass Effect MMO

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
BioWare May (Eventually) Go For A Mass Effect MMO

BioWare won't commit to a Mass Effect MMO quite yet, but the studio isn't saying it won't happen, either.

Over the past few years, many BioWare fans have been loudly clamoring for a Mass Effect MMO. At the moment, that's just not going to happen. BioWare's got its hands full with Wrath of Heroes. However, the developer isn't completely discounting the possibility of such a game in the future.

BioWare head honchos Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk recently spoke to IndustryGamers about a Mass Effect MMO and were surprisingly open-minded about it:

[Zeschuk]: "I think once The Old Republic is done, we'll take a fresh look at the market. And we'll have learned a lot. While making it, you learn an enormous amount. It's one of the nice things about having these properties in our back pocket... If we want to use something we own as a source for a game, it's easy to do. So yeah, you never know. We've got this giant product to launch, but once that's done we'll consider next steps."

[Muzyka]: "We're focused very much on The Old Republic, Mass Effect 3 and Wrath of Heroes, and all the other things we've announced, and haven't announced, but we also have the opportunity to look at our franchises in a way we haven't ever before. There are lots of new platforms and lots of new business models."

That last comment by Muzyka is especially interesting, thanks to the comment about unannounced titles. If a Mass Effect MMO does turn out to be in the cards, will you be picking it up?

Source: IndustryGamers

Nov 28, 2007
If you can play as different races, let me put it simply: take my money, Bioware. All of it.

However, I think taking that interview as a sign that Bioware may consider a Mass Effect MMO is really stretching it. They don't even mention "Mass Effect" and "MMO" in the same sentence. In fact, "Mass Effect" is only mentioned once, in reference to Mass Effect 3.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Business models? Use the Guild Wars business model! pretty please! :33333

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
It'll have to be done well. I mean, Shooting MMO's are tricky and I'm unsure Mass Effect will translate well into a WoW style combat, so gunplay would have to be the way to go.

That said, the idea is insanely awesome. I'd love to just start on whatever planet my alien race calls home and fly away with an entire entourage behind me as I assualt a stronghold of Batarian Pirates! Heck, I could BE a Batarian Pirate!

No wait, Elcor Pirate.

I am being an Elcor Pirate.

Calumon: Awww, another reason for Jack to ignore me. : (

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
So much want.
But really the mass effect universe is perfect for this, so many things you could do or be.

Anyway, already planning my Hanar healer.

Shru1kan

Dec 10, 2009
Heh, after ME2, Dragon Age 2, and the fact I her they rape the KOTOR universe in TOR so far... I'll pass. If TOR doesn't flop after 4 months I'll be surprised. So it might be a non-issue. Plus it'll probably be full of gay sex options, probably in your face and shallow like DA2. Another bioware masterpiece in the works.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I have no problem with the concept, but please:

1. Finish all your other games first!!!! DA2 was the clear product off too much being too rushed. No other game should suffer such an undignified fate.

2. Let us see how good TOR is!

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Im skeptical. If they go for a mass effect MMO it better be original. Playing a tank, dps or healer with Mass effect flavor just seems like a waste of time when they are already devoted to starwars. Mass effect is known for being a great rpg. I dont know if they should risk the francises integrity by expanding to film and mmorpgs/

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Translated to mean: "BioWare are already drawing concept art for a Mass Effect MMO."

There's no "may eventually" about this, it's going to happen, sadly. I say sadly because it couldn't be balanced. Unless they restrict the races, because how the fuck is an Elcor going to be balanced in a firefight against a human? It won't be.

The only way I can see it happening is if they either make it a traditional MMO combat system (which would suck in that setting), or they make it only one race, which would also be shit.

Do not want.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Goddammit Bioware! Stop thinking about/making MMOs that intrigue me.
I told you already I just don't do MMOs.

But, theoretically if I were to do one... Could I maybe be a Quarian Infiltrator. Just... uh, y'know hypothetically speaking.