Death Star Salvage Plays Haunting Tune

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Death Star Salvage Plays Haunting Tune

Many Bothans died to bring you this video.

Last week, citizens of the galaxy breathed a sigh of relief when news broke that the so-called "Death Star," rumored to be a massive space station capable of destroying entire planets, was turned into space dust by a rag-tag squad of pilots reportedly working with the freedom-fighting Rebel Alliance. Most of the station's debris is near unrecognizable, but one spunky explorer known only by his handle, sh4dowww90, seems to have pulled at least two data discs from the wreckage intact, and their contents may hold the key to stomping out the Empire once and for all.

Based solely on the video sh4doww90 has uploaded, we know little about the discovery other than that the discs have been somehow been wired together to produce musical tone, widely believed to be the only truly common language between all species of the universe. What does this particular haunting melody mean? No one can say for sure, but it doesn't sound friendly. For all of our sakes, let's hope the rebel's have more tricks up their sleeves just in case the Empire rebuilds and strikes back.

More information about these mysterious data discs can be found on sh4doww90's homepage [http://shadow.neostrada.pl/host.html].

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That's just damn awesome!

At first I was terrified at what might come from it, but then I was kinda rocking out to it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I never knew that the floppy disks were in league with the Dark side. Still that is awesoe!

Sep 14, 2009
haha damn, much better than anything i could ever conjure up.

props to the creation of that

i bet finding those floppies was more rare/expensive than the whole rest of the project...haven't seen a floppy in fucking ages.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Even better:

So apparently that was done with Arduino? If so; awesome, because we're going to play with Arduino at school.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Ok... that's just... crazy...
Can't say I've ever seen that tune being played that way before, or in fact any tune being played that way.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think "The Imperial March" has become like the geek national anthem at this point.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Ah, the singing stepper motor. Wonderful, if drive-killing, hack. Let's go a bit older-school.

Pardon the low audio.

And it's not just floppy drives. Some HP ScanJets have it as an easter egg!

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Many Bothans died to bring us wood grain desks on top of which we could set the Death Star's surprisingly musical plans...

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
And to think, they only had 1 floppy disk drive on the Death Star so they never heard this in unison.