Wonder Woman's Vanishing Boyfriend

JoshuatheAnarchist

Aug 31, 2011
Wonder Woman's Vanishing Boyfriend

Wonder Woman's boyfriend may have been pushed to the curb because he made male readers uncomfortable.

Read Full Article

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I thought Steve Trevor was done rather well in the Wonder Woman animated movie, especially at the end where he tells her to call him if she is late so the dinner won't get cold. I also liked his appearance in the Brave and the Bold because of the fact he got saved by Wonder Woman.

I just love scenes or jokes in which gender roles are reversed.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
This is an interesting idea; I wouldn't mind though digging a little deeper than just (admittedly strong) circumstantial evidence before assuming sexism is at work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing (heck, I'm one of those men who believes in female superiority anyway), I just think this is a pretty deep issue and I wouldn't mind seeing it explored more.

Good food for thought - I never followed comics enough to know about Steve Trevor at all.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Great piece, your points were clear and I for one, agree.

Insecurities around masculinity are widespread. The modern man is filled with doubt and anxiety. It is best to move past it, I personally like having a very equal relationship with my bride. No one needs to be in control, no one needs to have all the power.

Comics can move past the man being the most powerful, and let woman have powerful roles too, if they want to.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
What about Batman? I am not a huge comic book fan, but I have seen some comics and specially animated movies/ series that show a connection between them.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I was always under the impression she was a lesbian; given she comes from an island full of women
go figure eh, I still can't think of who they could pair her up with, maybe Aquaman or Nightwing but overall I dunno I rather see her with Batwoman

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
snfonseka said:
What about Batman? I am not a huge comic book fan, but I have seen some comics and specially animated movies/ series that show a connection between them.
I don't think it has ever been examined enough to call it a relationship. Wonder Woman's Blackest Night mini series outright says that she loves him but I don't believe that they have acknowledged their feelings to one another or acted upon them.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Am I the only one who finds it strange, that the article uses the word "we" so much? The idea of a female superhero saving her regular bloke boyfriend doesn't make me uncomfortable, for instance.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
C. Cain said:
Am I the only one who finds it strange, that the article uses the word "we" so much? The idea of a female superhero saving her regular bloke boyfriend doesn't make me uncomfortable, for instance.
Yeah, I'd be more than happy to read that.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
GiantRaven said:
Yeah, I'd be more than happy to read that.
As long as it's executed in a tasteful manner.
I would hate if it only occurred in fetish-related works or contexts. That would be a waste of potential.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Interesting article (I only knew about Steve from that animated Wonder Woman movie and from that openning sequence in one of Batman The Bve and the Bold episodes). I would of expect this type of article to be seen on Comicvine so it's refreshing to see it on here instead.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I feel so uncomfortable with this idea that I find hard even to imagine my heroines with weaker boyfriends. The need men have to be strong is not just cultural, it is marked in our instincts (of men and women).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Grahav said:
I feel so uncomfortable with this idea that I find hard even to imagine my heroines with weaker boyfriends. The need men have to be strong is not just cultural, it is marked in our instincts (of men and women).
Hey? What makes you think that it's a biological, not cultural thing?

Also, there's quite a number of people that don't feel that way.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
A good article. Its nice to see recognition that, while it is a problem, the requirement that women in games/comics/whatever wear skimpy cloths is actually the least of the issues with how women characters work in games/comics/whatever.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
castlewise said:
A good article. Its nice to see recognition that, while it is a problem, the requirement that women in games/comics/whatever wear skimpy cloths is actually the least of the issues with how women characters work in games/comics/whatever.
Well, it helps that you can immediately see the problem by looking at a single panel or cover, you don't have to read the whole think, or examine the entire series/universe.

And, likewise, gather interest and support for people not wanting to dedicate time for a more thorough examining...you'd sorta have to be a fan to read enough to pick up all the issues.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I wholeheartedly agree. It seems silly to have such a stupid double standard. Perhaps ditching it would finally make Wonder Woman interesting enough for me to read (as it has never really caught my eye that well).

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
Let's not kid ourselves guys, there's only one man good enough for Diana: And that's Aquaman, like in that one arc of "JLA."

But in all seriousness the character doesn't need a significant other and works better without one.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
GZGoten said:
I was always under the impression she was a lesbian; given she comes from an island full of women
go figure eh, I still can't think of who they could pair her up with, maybe Aquaman or Nightwing but overall I dunno I rather see her with Batwoman
Me too. Some of the old comics have a lot of Wonder Woman tying up other women or getting tied up herself... though I suppose there are limits to what you can use a lasso for, even a golden one that makes people tell the truth.

Also, shouldn't she have only one breast if she's really an amazonian? How's she supposed to fire a bow with those things? :p

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Grahav said:
Trying to think...is there a male figure that is weaker than female counterpart that is considered desirable?