Internet Fooled By Bloody Roar Sequel Hoax

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Internet Fooled By Bloody Roar Sequel Hoax

No Virginia, there is no Bloody Roar 5.

On September 30, an update appeared on the @HudsonSoftLtd Twitter feed [https://twitter.com/#!/HudsonSoftLtd/status/119880429175185408] with the following message.

New Bloody Roar sequel, is in production! we'll post more soon! ;) #BloodyRoarProject2012 #BloodyRoar5 #BloodyRoar Read and Retweet! ;)

The news spread quickly, and soon the entirety of the gaming news world was reporting that a new Bloody Roar title was in development. G4 [http://kotaku.com/5845977/bloody-roar-5-in-development].

Hudson Soft said so, and who are we question Hudson Soft?

As it turns out, that wasn't actually Hudson Soft. The @HudsonSoftLtd account was updated this morning, with a link to what was purportedly a new image from Bloody Roar 5. Instead of hot manimal-on-manimal action, the linked picture was the 'net's beloved trollface.jpg with the words "You all been trolled!" emblazoned across the chin [https://twitter.com/#!/HudsonSoftLtd/status/120847360682229761/photo/1].

So far neither Hudson Soft nor Bloody Roar publisher Konami have commented on this situation or the theoretical existence of any future titles in the series.

Humorously, the mysterious pranksters who created the faux Hudson Soft account are still being inundated with Bloody Roar fans thanking them for reviving the series, apparently oblivious to the hoax.

There is an important moral to this story boys and girls, but I'm afraid that my position as an internet gaming news reporter forbids me from saying, "don't trust internet gaming news reporters." I will point out however that The Escapist was not one of the sites that reported the hoax as reality. Draw your own conclusions.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Okay, I have no idea what this bloody roar is, was it a good game or something?

OT: Kudos to them for trolling teh internets!

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
MrJKapowey said:
Okay, I have no idea what this bloody roar is, was it a good game or something?

OT: Kudos to them for trolling teh internets!
By gameplay alone, it was a meh series. But it was EXTERMELY well balenced, had a very interesting and large back-story for most games, let alone fighting games for it's time.

And it was awesome.

EDIT:

http://twitter.com/#!/HudsonSoftLtd/status/120958065804722176

Apparently they were trying to get konami to see people still want the game.

IDW, I can kinda see it working. Let's all tweet to Konami's twitter, now that there is a mass of people screaming for the game.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'm laughing so hard at all the people raging on Twitter. Serious, real life, laughter.

Their reactions only drive future trolls. Well played.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Never heard of this hoax, but that's a damn shame. Bloody Roar was one of those series that had an awesome concept; all it needed was a bit of polish for today's arcade brawler standards and we'd be all set.

Oh yeah, Bakuryu ftw.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...that was my bloody roar...

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
that was pretty good I haven't seen the picture but I will when I get home
and I too want a Bloody Roar 5 but even better would be a Killer Instinct 3

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I didn't hear this announcement, but it is disappointing that they're not making another one. :/

And for those of you who don't know, it was a fighting game kinda like beast wars where you can turn into beast forms and such...Very good fun combo system, but not really balanced like Street fighter or technical like virtua fighter...just big dumb fun like killer instinct, with six-ring combos and whatnot.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
I never heard about this. Thank god, otherwise I'd be crushed right now. I have nothing but fond memories of those games, then again I only played one, but fond memories nonetheless.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
GZGoten said:
that was pretty good I haven't seen the picture but I will when I get home
and I too want a Bloody Roar 5 but even better would be a Killer Instinct 3
QFT. I liked Bloody Roar 1 and 2. # was okay but 4 was kinda meh. (I got Primal Fury when a friend deeded me his Gamecube after he got a Wii.) Especially on story. It seemed that Uriko's mental state kept becoming more childlike with every one. Honestly, if they did do a 5, among other things, I'd like to see them flesh out Uranus' backstory.

However, Killer Instinct 3 is something that I'd really like to see. My only concern is that the Rare that made the original KI1/2 mutated in the Rare of today. Not sure that today's Rare would be able to do a good job.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
EDIT:

IDW, I can kinda see it working. Let's all tweet to Konami's twitter, now that there is a mass of people screaming for the game.
Glad to see it wasn't just trolling, though the OP's smugness at the revelation really paints a picture about how the site thinks of itself.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
And just like that, another piece of my soul has died...this is worse than finding out Santa doesn't exist...If this same thing were done for Killer Instinct or Battletoads though it may have had a worse effect on my fragile little mind.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Damn, that was an awesome game back in the day. Perhaps renewed internet interest makes the devs consider it? /engage pointless hope.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
AgentBJ09 said:
Jabberwock xeno said:
EDIT:

Glad to see it wasn't just trolling, though the OP's smugness at the revelation really paints a picture about how the site thinks of itself.
IDW, I don't really trust him/her now, of course...

We'll see...

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
That is super depressing. I was all excited since the one and only game I played was primal fury on the gamecube and that was a blast(especially with cheats).

This whole thing is kind of odd as I was under the impression that Bloody Roar was a more obscure franchise as far as fighting games are concerned so why bother with a hoax?

Oh, well maybe the developers might look at any of the buzz generated and might actually decide that a Bloody Roar 5 would be a good idea. I can always dream.