Kinect Can Guess How Old You Are

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Kinect Can Guess How Old You Are

Like a good parent, the Kinect knows how old you are and what you're allowed to watch.

Just in time for its recently-filed patent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112485-Twist-and-Browse-in-New-Xbox-Dashboard], Microsoft proposed technology for a 3D camera (like, say, the Kinect) to measure a person's body and guess his or her age based on measurements of height, torso width, limb length, and their respective proportions. Once the Kinect has determined how old a player is, an Xbox 360 can filter out any age-inappropriate content, all without manual programming.

Microsoft has taken great strides to transform the Xbox 360 from a dedicated gaming machine into a family-friendly entertainment center via partnerships with TV providers, dashboard updates for less tech-savvy users, and an emphasis on casual games for the Kinect. With this new demographic comes a younger audience, and a clever kid can usually outwit his parents' console restrictions.

Petite people have nothing to fear, though, as the whole system can be controlled with an administrator password. Parents who want to watch and play with their children are also covered, as the Kinect will be able to determine the relative ages of everyone within its purview and settle on a compromise rating. For example, a child may only be able to play E-rated games, but the presence of a parent (or a very cool older sibling) in the room might bump the restriction up to T.

The patent is still pending approval. Even if the government grants it, there's no guarantee that Microsoft will implement the tech. Big companies don't just go around filing patents for fun, however, so don't be surprised if this shows up in a future 360 dashboard.

Source: GeekWire [http://www.geekwire.com/2011/microsoft-idea-kinect-body-scans-estimate-age-automate-parental-controls]

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Why not? Pretty sound idea for a parent that wants to control what their kids are playing.

As for those that don't, this is irrelevant, given that you can apparently just disable the feature with a password.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Sounds like a good idea, no kiddies playing Dead Space without mom's permission.

But I do have to put in the "oh noes, it's Big Brother" bit. I don't really like the idea of a camera being able to look at someone, profile them, and then decide what they can and can't do. I mean, no stopping the tech from advancing, but it's a very possible application.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Ghostwise said:
I guess midgets are screwed.....
Exactly what i thought, you ninja'd me pretty damn quick.

Anyway, this is going to lead to some pretty hilarious circumstances, like if they program it to see whatever your doing.
So many ideas...:p

But still, if it requires a parental lock/guidence thing beforehand, then basically nothing will come of it.
Parents are too damn lazy :p

Spygon

May 16, 2009
People stuggle to guess how old people are so the kinect is deffinly not going to do any better

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Fantastic! now parents can do even less parenting and and let Disney and Microsoft raise their young. What a wonderful world.
All this rating of TV and games content is sparing kids a few nightmares. Well fuck that. If we take the really scary things away, then the next scary things become the most scary and suddenly we have a generation of wimps scared of everything.. oh wait, we have that already.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Petite people have nothing to fear, though, as the whole system can be controlled with an administrator password. "

Yeah... right. I smell righteously outraged people suffering from conditions making their bodyshape/size/proportions complaining and or suing. And they should, this is taking corporate intrusion into our daily lives way too far. If I want my todler to play Ninja Gaiden II it's my damn right to do so! They'll not remember it anyway :p

Feb 13, 2008
Marshall Honorof said:
Microsoft proposed technology for a 3D camera (like, say, the Kinect) to measure a person's body and guess his or her age based on measurements of height, torso width, limb length, and their respective proportions...
And the age they left on their Kinect registration form.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
So... how is this going to stop the child giants? My sister is 6 years younger than me and almost as tall as me.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I can't be the only one who laughed uncomfortably upon reading the part about how "limb length" will help the kinect tell how old you are.

"Nice nutshot, sir! And congratulations on that 100th birthday, Mr. Jeremy."

Jan 23, 2010
To whoever thought this was a good idea: Or... I'll just parent my hypothetical children myself thank you?

God forbid such a crazy thought!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
First rule of child locks: If the kid needs to explain them they failed. Somehow I see this happening here as well.