Eidos Exec Predicts "Mega-Franchises" Will Dominate 2009

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Eidos Exec Predicts "Mega-Franchises" Will Dominate 2009

Eidos [http://www.eidos.com/] "Life President" Ian Livingstone predicts that 2009 will be ruled by "mega-franchises," while smaller releases from less well-heeled companies will perform disappointingly at retail.

High-profile franchises already account for a huge portion of the videogame market and that's a trend Livingstone, who has held several executive positions at Eidos since 1995, believes will be even more pronounced in 2009. "I think 2009 will be remembered as the year of 'roast duck or no dinner'," he said in an interview with GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eidos-ian-livingstone?page=1]. "Big ticket titles continue to sell well but many of the smaller titles will probably disappoint their owners."

"There's a glut of product and in a discerning market there is no room for mediocrity. To make a suboptimal game with a suboptimal marketing spend is a recipe for disaster," he said. "I think we'll continue to see more production resources going into fewer titles supported by even bigger marketing budgets. Publishers are continuing to raise the investment bar, ensuring the mega-franchises will rule."

The consolidation of the industry is hardly a good thing for gamers and it's also tough on independent studios and small publishers who simply cannot compete with the big boys on a level playing field. "There are a lot of challenges for independent studios that do not have multi-title publishing deals in place or do not have adequate working capital reserves. One of the downsides for those in a weak position is that they are often obliged to give up their IP," Livingstone continued.

Eidos itself has had a rough ride of things lately, including the Deus Ex [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88582-Eidos-Pondering-Makeover-for-Lara-Croft] series.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I read this as:

"Franchises that have made lots of money will continue to make lots of money"

Which, correct me if Im wrong, is like saying that in 2009, grass will still be green.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Malygris said:
"There's a glut of product and in a discerning market there is no room for mediocrity. To make a suboptimal game with a suboptimal marketing spend is a recipe for disaster," he said. "I think we'll continue to see more production resources going into fewer titles supported by even bigger marketing budgets. Publishers are continuing to raise the investment bar, ensuring the mega-franchises will rule."
However "suboptimal" games with a huge marketing budget will continue to sell by the bucket load while good games with poor marketing will still do poorly.

Why can't the big publishers put some cash into publicising small games, things like CoD or Tomb Raider will sell if you advertise or not, new games need the help.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
nova18 said:
I read this as:

Which, correct me if Im wrong, is like saying that in 2009, grass will still be green.
That's roughly what I took from it as well.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
There's a glut of product and in a discerning market there is no room for mediocrity. To make a suboptimal game with a suboptimal marketing spend is a recipe for disaster...
Lol? What does that have anything to do with established franchises?

Woem

May 28, 2009
nova18 said:
I read this as:

My thoughts exactly. Because of the rough times, they will continue to spawn sequels.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
nova18 said:
I read this as:

Yeah pretty much, we don't need an exec to point that out to us.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's sorta hard to take this seriously when his company is banking its entire year on sequels. Thinking like this is what almost made EA never publish The Sims or Activision abandon Guitar Hero. If you want to make money in video games, you have to establish new IP and understand that it's going to be a sequel or two before the real pay-off happens.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
nova18 said:
I read this as:

Congratulations, you just stole 90% of people's comments on this thread!

But yeah, I definitely agree with Nova. Why is this news?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
nova18 said:
I read this as:

This.

Seriously, what? Mega Franchises will dominate? Really?

Thats like saying, when you throw things out of your window, they'll fall.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
I don't know games like Plants Vs Zombies are doing incredibly well whats so strange about rubbish games having rubbish sales thats always been the case

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
heliosa said:
randommaster said:
heliosa said:
Kwil said:
In other news, sky remains blue and water is wet.
[nerd] Although technically the sky isn't blue [/nerd]
Of corse not, he didn't include any color tags.
And you need to put in [nerd] tags there, son.
why would I put innard tags on my posts? Am I trying to get them to spill intestines when you select them, or something?