New Media Reveals Two Arkham City Villains and Maybe a Hero

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Media Reveals Two Arkham City Villains and Maybe a Hero

Batman may have finally caught a break as the number of villains in Arkham City gets higher and higher.

How many supervillains do you need to make a decent Batman game? Well, if Rocksteady is to be believed, the answer would seem to be "all of them." Arkham City's already crowded rogues gallery is adding a couple of new faces, but fear not, because Team Batman might be getting some extra help as well.

[gallery=500]

In the latest edition of Sony's Qore show, Poison Ivy and the Mad Hatter make blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearances. Like the Riddler, the Mad Hatter was technically "in" Arkham Asylum but never actually made a physical appearance. He wasn't anywhere near as important as the Riddler however, and his bio was really just an Easter egg for thorough players to find. Poison Ivy, on the other hand, played a large role in Arkham Asylum, spreading Titan-infused plants all over Arkham Island, and serving as one of the game's bosses.

Possibly joining the "heroes'" side is Nightwing, which is the new crime-fighting identity of the original Robin, Dick Grayson. According to Portuguese forum Zwame.pt [http://forum.zwame.pt/showthread.php?t=506830&page=12], there are PS3 trophies that mention Nightwing, and one user even dug up what he claims are concept art sketches and artist reference screenshots. They certainly look pretty genuine, and the signature on the concept art looks like that of comic book artist Roger Robinson. There's also the fact that Arkham City's Robin is actually Tim Drake, which leaves space for Rocksteady to insert the character in as DLC. Of course, none of this is wholly conclusive, so until Rocksteady or Warner Bros. confirms it, it's just rumor.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th, and on PC in November.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/05/batman-arkham-city-rogues-gallery-grows-mad-hatter-and-poison-ivy-spotted-also-nightwing/]

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
Sweet, I am getting even more stoked for this game then ever! Although it does leave paused for thought, if they wanted to make a third game they arent leaving themselves any wiggle room for other baddies, and most of them sound like they are going to be in this one!

Also, isnt the PC version delayed until November sometime?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Shame there's no COOP for the main story, though I guess everyone would fight over who gets to be Batman.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Hatter is great. But still no word if Killer Croc or Scarecrow will be back yet (obviously, I'm more interested in the latter, but whatever). My guess, however, with how late this is getting mentioned is that this is possible DLC they want to do for the game for latter. But I could easily be wrong.

Looks to be getting more interesting all the time. I should probably go and get a reservation on my PC copy so I can get the Joker Maps and Robin.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
Hatter is great. But still no word if Killer Croc or Scarecrow will be back yet.
Speaking to Game On, Rocksteady's Paul Crocker said that the studio didn't really want to repeat itself for Arkham City. "In Batman: Arkham Asylum we had the whole Scarecrow thing," he said, "and we didn't want to do that again. We wanted something different." Crocker didn't specify whether he meant that Scarecrow wouldn't be appearing in Arkham City at all, or if we just wouldn't be jumping through his spooky hoops in-game.
I think it may be safe to say that if Scarecrow does make it back it won't be in the same capacity that he was in AA.

OT: Does Nightwing come with the classic mullet alt costume? If so I'd so choose him over Batman for coop if it existed.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
toomuchnothing said:
SilverUchiha said:
Hatter is great. But still no word if Killer Croc or Scarecrow will be back yet.
Speaking to Game On, Rocksteady's Paul Crocker said that the studio didn't really want to repeat itself for Arkham City. "In Batman: Arkham Asylum we had the whole Scarecrow thing," he said, "and we didn't want to do that again. We wanted something different." Crocker didn't specify whether he meant that Scarecrow wouldn't be appearing in Arkham City at all, or if we just wouldn't be jumping through his spooky hoops in-game.
I think it may be safe to say that if Scarecrow does make it back it won't be in the same capacity that he was in AA.
I've read that before and I'm aware of the situation. Doesn't mean I'm not a little disappointed there hasn't been any clarification that he's in it or not. Right now, it's merely ambiguous to the point where his role may just be really small or even a cameo. I'm not saying I want the exact same section, but some other niche section provided by the fear-loving maniac would be nice.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
This is my most anticipated game of the year, however I'm wary that they seem to be cramming a LOT of characters into this game.

Granted yes, I have a lot of faith they can pull it off well enough but I hope they don't announce too many more (if any at all.)

rwllay

Oct 9, 2009
finally, been hoping for Hatter since he was cut from first game

the first wave of Arkham City action figures has a Killer Croc, and a leaked AC gamer-picture has croc as well, so i guess he'll turn up somewhere

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
*Clicks article*
*Ctrl-F: Clay*
*No matches found*

:-(

Some of the characters they are adding are getting pretty obscure, I was really hoping this freak would take some priority. Then again, what animator(s) would be willing to tackle that?

Quantupus

Apr 15, 2009
That screenshot of the Mad Hatter reminds me of Bioshock. He's looking rather steam punk form what I can see of his clothes, and... you know... bunny masks.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Cursed Frogurt said:
*Clicks article*
*Ctrl-F: Clay*
*No matches found*

:-(

Some of the characters they are adding are getting pretty obscure, I was really hoping this freak would take some priority. Then again, what animator(s) would be willing to tackle that?
Ditto.

Am I the only one that liked the way he looked in The Batman cartoon? Not so much the character, but the art just looked boss.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Well okay then. For a while it seemed like Batman was about to take on a super villain army all on his lonesome. Glad to see he may be getting some help. Plus, Nightwing is looking pretty kick-ass!

Jul 9, 2008
K_Dub said:
Well okay then. For a while it seemed like Batman was about to take on a super villain army all on his lonesome. Glad to see he may be getting some help. Plus, Nightwing is looking pretty kick-ass!
I dunno if that's a good thing. Fighting that many villains alone, there's actually a very slim possibility that Batman will lose. With Nightwing on his side, there's no chance at all.

DarthWario

Aug 21, 2011
Oh my lord, Mad Hatter! Now that is something to make my day! This game is getting better and better all the time!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
I'm starting to get concerned about the capacity of villains now. But oh well, I mean, the worst that could happen is that they don't get a lot of characterization in-game, which is just a paltry complaint in the grand scheme of things.

Still waiting on clayface though, since both his Batman TAS and The Batman iterations are my favorite villains. I'm pretty sure the only plausible way to fit him in the game would be as a stage boss like poison ivy. Just have him hoped up and crazy on Titan like her and Solomon to where his biomass expands to fill a whole factory. Have his head or body in the middle with various defenses, with tentacles covered in saws or spikes that attack batman from the sides. *shrugs* wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a way to get him in the game.
Clayface did get a cameo in AA, but it was limited to a barely interactive part where he was in a cell.