New Kinect Game Teaches You Self Defense

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
New Kinect Game Teaches You Self Defense

Is your kung fu weak? Make it strong withSelf-Defense Training Camp!

Although there are games [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sports-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JBVY/] for the Kinect that hope to help gamers find better health through physical activity, Ubisoft is introducing a new angle to the exercise-game market with a title focused on getting player into shape by teaching them self-defense.

Self-Defense Training Camp contains, as the name implies, all sorts of workout routines and self-defense drills to get players burning extra calories on top of learning how to break a stranglehold or kick someone upside the head.

Players can also spar off against virtual opponents using their newfound skills in mixed martial arts, and try to improve their speed with reflex-improving mini-games- though it remains to be seen if one of them involves snatching pebbles from the hand of a virtual wizened sensei.

Along with teaching gamers how to best protect themselves (and their Xbox) from attackers, the game also includes meditation exercises to help with lowering stress and finding one's inner peace, since as tempting as it may be you can't always crane kick everyone you see.

Self-Defense Training Camp is scheduled to arrive in North America on the 8th of November.

Source: 1Up [http://www.1up.com/news/kinect-game-teaches-self-defense ]

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Do they involve knives? Please tell me that training camp involves a realistic scenario with knives and guns...

Actually, nevermind. If I wanted realistic self defense, I'd continue my martial arts classes.

EDIT: oh, also? I love how this gives people the theory but not the experience. Which is kind of what you NEED when you're fighting with someone. Education games, ftw...

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Averant said:
Do they involve knives? Please tell me that training camp involves a realistic scenario with knives and guns...

Actually, nevermind. If I wanted realistic self defense, I'd continue my martial arts classes.

EDIT: oh, also? I love how this gives people the theory but not the experience. Which is kind of what you NEED when you're fighting with someone. Education games, ftw...
Hey it's better than nothing.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
Averant said:

Eeeh, I don't think so. If anything it gives you false confidence. You think "I know martial arts!" when you should be thinking "That guy might kill me I should be running right now..."

But that's only in certain situations. Might be just me, but I'd rather someone realize they don't know anything and bug out, rather than teaching them incompletely.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Averant said:
spectrenihlus said:
Averant said:

Eeeh, I don't think so. If anything it gives you false confidence. You think "I know martial arts!" when you should be thinking "That guy might kill me I should be running right now..."

But that's only in certain situations. Might be just me, but I'd rather someone realize they don't know anything and bug out, rather than teaching them incompletely.
Unless they're clever enough people to fill in the gaps themselves. Then again, if they were that clever, they'd never have to buy this thing.

Besides, how well could this possibly turn out? Unless they're going to be that accurate in their motion reading, I get the feeling this will be little more than a controller-less Wii Boxing.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I like this, it sounds like I would get this just to give myself a reason why I didn't continue my martial arts classes.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
this should have been a 2 person game so you can actually practice against a person. The Kinect can track people that are facing each other, right?

Also, there normally are community events for people to go to to learn basic self-defense for free >_>