Stop-Motion Ninjas Throw Down

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Stop-Motion Ninjas Throw Down

[vimeo=29413609]

Ninjas have been done to death, but stop-motion ninjas engaged in brutal combat? Now that's a neat twist.

Created by amateur animator Olivier Trudeau, this clip (succinctly dubbed Ninja, features all the fluidity and destructive grace of the finest ninja battles captured on film or in videogames. The fact that it's all done in stop-motion makes that feat very impressive.

My only question, after having watched this short, is why does it exist? Is Trudeau a student compiling a portfolio? Is he attempting to impress a prospective employer? Or does he simply spend his days as a rogue animator, blowing minds on the regular in an effort to make live-action films look silly by comparison?

I'm kinda hoping it's that last one. Being a connoisseur of fine, independent stop-motion productions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112139-Stop-Motion-Wizard-Returns-With-Street-Fighter-Brawl], I love to see the fluidity and grace these animators can achieve without the aid of Hollywood cash. If anything, it leaves a wide open question mark as to what they might accomplish with proper studio backing.

Alternately, it leaves me craving a game animated entirely in this style. Yes, that's been done before -- Skullmonkeys anyone? -- but as far as I know, no one has ever created a real, flashy, stop-motion, interactive action title.

If Trudeau could master proper breast physics, I bet Itagaki would be all over that.

Source: 4cr [http://vimeo.com/29413609]

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ardman should totally hire this guy. I've always said that Wallace and Gromit was perfect, but I never ever thought about adding Ninja's too it....

That might just work.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Awesome video. It kind of reminded me of that other video with that stop-motion Megaman figure and that Final Fantasy video posted here ages ago.
If Action Man were still alive, company behind Action Man should of hire him to make advert of stop-motion Action Man figures.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
That was some top quality shiznizzle. Also, I think my captcha wants me to do some sort of calculus derivative

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Now, THAT is how to play with Barbies... No princesses for my little girl.

I want to watch her pit Mikado against Chihiro, in a grove of Lincoln Logs, Bushido Blade 2 style.

Oh, hell yes. Heheheheh.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
I like Patrick Boivin's stuff better.
He also had already done the ninja part a while ago.

But the difference is that Patrick Boivin is a professional, he actually earn his life by doing this kind of stuff and way before he started using the internet to show them. But I am from Quebec and had saw some of his work like Phylactère Cola on TV.