Grease: The Videogame

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Grease: The Videogame

In what could be the first instance of a videogame adaptation of a classic musical - High School Musical notwithstanding - 505 Games is bringing Grease to the DS and Wii.

Grease, the popular musical made famous on the big screen thanks to John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, is being made into a videogame. This would make absolutely no sense, but if Tom & Jerry can be turned into an MMOG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92150-Tom-and-Jerry-Gets-the-MMOG-Treatment], I'm pretty sure anything is fair game nowadays. And it's not like Grease doesn't have game potential - 505 Games is turning the musical into, naturally, a music game.

"The Grease video game will allow players to sing and dance alongside Danny, Sandy, The Pink Ladies and the T-Birds," wrote publisher 505 Games. "The game will take full advantage of the Nintendo Wii's motion-sensing controls and microphone, and the DS's touch screen to create exciting gameplay for casual and family gamers eager to experience Grease in a new medium."

And you know who loves Grease, aside from that one person you know who loves every single musical ever? Your mom. Grease, in that regard, makes perfect business sense for a family-friendly Wii and DS game.

The platforms do raise a couple questions, though: The DS should work because of the mic, but how will singing function on the Wii? Will Grease come packaged with the WiiSpeak microphone that was used for Animal Crossing: City Folk, or will be bundled with an official Grease mic peripheral?

Another mystery is whether whether it'll feature the likenesses of the movie's two stars. I'm guessing it won't, but who wouldn't want to see John Travolta's ugly mug in a videogame? Weirder things have happened.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
is that really necessary? lol oh well I know quite a few people who might be ecstatic about this though...

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
My eye twitched when I saw the headline.

This just screamed "Wii product", and lo and behold!

I fear this will appeal to only a very narrow market. (Namely, people who like music games...and Grease.)

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Well, to be fair, games released sometime after the original (God Father, Ghost Busters, maybe Bucther Bay?) are generally O.K as they're not a rushed production to make a glorified commerical.

Than again this careoke (don't know how you spell it but you get the gist) which can be succesfully recreated by a single game and simply changing the background will do nothing to change the fact it's kareoke with less slection of songs.

Not that I don't love Grease though!

DaMunky89

Aug 15, 2007
The Wii version sounds like it's going to be a stupid clone of DDR.
The DS version on the other hand, if it ends up basically being a Grease-branded Elite Beat Agents, would be pretty competent.

I hope they're not serious about the karaoke, though. -__-

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
*eye twitch x2*

...Bah, Humbug. This when they could have made a Phantom of the Opera stealth game.

That's not to say it isn't a bad musical, because it isn't.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Much as I like Grease, I dont see why they could just stick with a simple Singstar clone rather than aparently feeling the need to further confirm the Wii-motion controls are just an advertising gimmick

titanium turtle

Jul 1, 2009
VitusPrime said:
Door, Now, Must escape, god almighty smite 505 NOW
too right, they really should dig a tunnel to hell to give their crappy games to the devil himself, 505 the REAL number of the devil

titanium turtle

Jul 1, 2009
mixing games with musicals is like filling a bulldozer with chocolate and locking the keys inside, it pisses you off, and you cant enjoy either part cos the chocolate and driving controls are inside just like you cant enjoy the musical bit because its put into a shitty game and the game is not actually a proper game and just plain shit

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Surely I can sing and dance to Grease songs WITHOUT having to buy a game.
Just pretend you have a microphone, pretend theres a dancemat under your feet and away you go.

Another one of my recession busting tips.