PS3 Slim Production Already Underway?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
PS3 Slim Production Already Underway?

Rumors of a slim version of the PlayStation 3 are swirling again, with reports of two Taiwanese manufacturers getting ready to produce units to ship as soon as early July.

All but few of the many leaks prior to Sony's press conference at E3 were confirmed (and good-heartedly joked about by Sony's Jack Tretton). One of those leaks being the rumblings (and alleged photographs) of a slimmed-down version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91810-The-Slim-PS3-Mystery] of the PS3. I assumed after Sony didn't mention it that the arguably dubious photographs were fake, either that or Sony was saving the announcement for later this year, but according to the latest reports, the PS3 Slim may exist, and it may be coming extremely soon.

According to Joystiq [http://udn.com/NEWS/STOCK/STO3/4990039.shtml] and Engadget's translators), Sony has handed out contracts to two manufacturers in Taiwan to produce the PS3 Slim. Half of the orders are for Foxconn and the other half are going to Pegatron. The shipments, apparently, are due to go out in early July to meet "expected summer vacation demands." Summer vacation in Japan is prime console buyin' season.

Still seem fishy to you? Well, consider that Foxconn and Pegatron were the original manufacturers of the PS3, and previous, and entirely separate, rumors that reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92000] the console would ship in August or September. Seems like it all fits together...perhaps a tad too conveniently. Not that I don't want this to be real - I would welcome a slim PS3 into my arms just as warmly as I welcomed a slim version of its brother in appliances, the George Foreman Grill.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I never understood the point of the "Slim" consoles. Seems like a stunted half brother to me.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
tru' tru', me thinks it be easier to "carry" and what not hum ding ding humm.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
If they are making a 'slim' model then why did they bother making the big one in the first place?

If it is possible to get the same performance from a machine that is drastically smaller then it makes you ask what the extra space in the original was taken up by, pudding?

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Iron Mal said:
If they are making a 'slim' model then why did they bother making the big one in the first place?

If it is possible to get the same performance from a machine that is drastically smaller then it makes you ask what the extra space in the original was taken up by, pudding?
Because the technology didn't exist then and it does now?

That'd be my guess.

Sort of how the PS2 eventually became the PS2 slim.

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
Rigs83 said:
Moore's Law can affects game consoles just as much as pc.
This.

If you don't know Moores Law it is that every 18 months computer components become half the size or twice the power.

In this case I think it is more to do with heat though. I think they have found a way to make components with the same power produce less heat so they need less bulky heat-sinks or fans.

Can't tell for sure though. Especialy as it is still in the rumour stage!

EDIT: Forgot to add that admittedly in the age of multi-core processors Moores Law isn't following it's usual course as people are just putting more cores into it rather than improving the power as much as it is easier to keep heat levels down this way.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
The Ps3 goes slim, is getting cheaper AND is getting BC through some new tech.

So everyone of you better buy a PS3 now, or else you're a hypocrite. I don't care what you have to say. More than half of you said you would buy one if it got cheaper and had BC back. Well, both are happening, so get buying you hypocrites.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Not only do I believe the PS3 Slim is coming out, but looking at the modern Sony business model, it can be yours for just 36 easy payments of $29.95

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Not that I don't want this to be real - I would welcome a slim PS3 into my arms just as warmly as I welcomed a slim version of its brother in appliances, the George Foreman Grill.
Old Meme is OOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

But damnit, if it didn't make a mighty fine steak....

Anyway, I like to be in the "wait till official announcment" crowd, much safer that way and nobody laughs at you if it turns out not to be real and you believed the rumours!

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Im still waiting for the PS3 'Cheap' edition.
Same here, man. Same here.

On Topic: Screw the slim edition, I want a cheap one!

Wait a sec...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
"The new PS3 Slim: Half the girth, twice the price!"

When what they have now isn't selling, why bother repacking essentially the same thing in something slightly less monolithic?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
So everyone of you better buy a PS3 now, or else you're a hypocrite. I don't care what you have to say. More than half of you said you would buy one if it got cheaper and had BC back. Well, both are happening, so get buying you hypocrites.
Yea, one hears that quite a lot. Most of them probably still won't buy one because you know, it's cool to hate it and all.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
The Ps3 goes slim, is getting cheaper AND is getting BC through some new tech.

When Kingdom Hearts 3 is released - then I'll buy it...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Iron Mal said:

You're silly. That's silly. Stop being silly. We will have none of that around here. Putting pudding in the PS3 would make it inoperable. That space is obviously used for housing the gnomes that work so hard to make the caharacters move on the screen for you.

You should feel ashamed for calling the gnomes pudding. ASHAMED!