Bejeweled Inspires Touching Proposal

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bejeweled Inspires Touching Proposal

Like most men, Chris Sheriff had high hopes for the woman he would one day marry. She ought to be pretty, she ought to be kind, and most crucially she ought to be really, really good at videogames.

This wouldn't be much of a story if that lede wasn't a segue into something thematically related, so I'll let PopCap explain.

"Wait, why is PopCap relating a story about Chris' marriage?" you ask. Well, if you would keep quiet for a second, I'll tell you.

See, Chris, like many of you, is a pretty hardcore gamer. He's into all the usual suspects. Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, Bejeweled; you know the drill. Y'know what, I'm getting ahead of myself. Back to PopCap explaining things:

The millions of Bejeweled Blitz players on Facebook get a lot out of the game, things like sixty second bursts of challenging excitement, mental stimulation, and fun with friends. But Laura Sheriff of Lexington Park, MD is probably the only one that used her prowess at the game to inspire a marriage proposal.

As the cheerful 26-year old explains it, "My husband, Chris, is a little bit of a video game nerd and he'd always said that the girl who managed to beat him at video games is the girl he would one day marry." Beating Chris was no mean feat though. "Chris is really into hardcore games like Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament so he's an experienced gamer. He almost always manages to beat me at Bejeweled Blitz but that one week, I was on fire." Laura grins and continues, "I racked up a score of over 600,000 which is a lot for me-my highest score ever is 775,000. Our computers are set up in the same room so we can actually sit side-by-side and compete head to head, not just online. I hit that score early in the week and then I watched as Chris tried and tried right up until the last minute to beat me. But he just couldn't top my score. The next day, he surprised me with a proposal, saying that he knew I was the one for him after I trounced him at Bejeweled Blitz." Eight months later they were married.

Cute, no? PopCap thought so, and being a company built on equal parts hyper-addictive casual gaming and being really rad human beings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113443-Sick-Coworker-Crane-Bombed-By-PopCap-Shanghai], the developer wanted to do something nice for the couple. Thus, in celebration of the duo's one-year anniversary, PopCap gave them a stupid-huge faux diamond.

See the pictures in the gallery below? That's the rock. What it lacks in genuine, De Beers-brand karats, it more than makes up for in size (and an almost guaranteed lack of horrific African bloodshed).

So, once again, propers to PopCap for being the kind of gaming company whose generosity and affection for its fanbase generates happy, smiling coverage on websites that otherwise only concern themselves with all the terrible things that go on in the gaming biz. Like us.

More crucially though, propers to Chris and Laura Sheriff for their cute-as-a-button love story. It certainly beats a drunken proposal next to the craps table at Caesar's Palace.

[gallery=501]

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
The fact that he proposed to her for beating him in one game, makes me think he'd ask any old woman to marry him if they just so happened to beat him.

Sorry to ruin the whole, "Aww, Wedding!" but I don't find this cute. (Yup, I don't *do* weddings)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
FamoFunk said:
The fact that he proposed to her for beating him in one game, makes me think he'd ask any old woman to marry him if they just so happened to beat him.

Sorry to ruin the whole, "Aww, Wedding!" but I don't find this cute. (Yup, I don't *do* weddings)
Same!
Are you me from a differant time?

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Stopped reading after it said "He's a pretty hardcore gamer. He's into all the usualy suspects, Call Of Duty"...
Call of Duty now having become one of, if not the most un-hardcore game possible, due to how hugely well known and played it is by millions, if not a billion, people over the world.

That's like saying "He's a pretty hardcore music fan, he likes Lady Gaga and Katy Perry."

Still, I agree with everyone else, it seems quite childish that he'd marry her if she beat him at Bejeweled.... and it's even sadder in my opinion that she actually went through with it, and tried to beat him.
If I were her I'd have told him to fuck off if he'll only marry me if I beat him at a game, if he really loved her he surely would've loved her regardless of whether she even likes games or not.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Um... ever heard of a joke? Or at the very least least, a lighthearted outlook on life?

They clearly loved each other already, no one would be that rash. And marriage/proposals aren't the srs face rituals they used to be. Lighten up already :D
Thank you for being the first person to not take the lede entirely literally. Man, everybody else in here is just hellbent on ruining the touching moment.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
SirBryghtside said:
Um... ever heard of a joke? Or at the very least least, a lighthearted outlook on life?

They clearly loved each other already, no one would be that rash. And marriage/proposals aren't the srs face rituals they used to be. Lighten up already :D
Thank you for being the first person to not take the lede entirely literally. Man, everybody else in here is just hellbent on ruining the touching moment.
Get of my forum you goddam positive people!
*shakes walking stick*

I just thought it was a bit of an odd thing to do, if he already loved her why not just mary her?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
It certainly beats a drunken proposal next to the craps table at Caesar's Palace.
'She beat me at craps, so I proposed to her. Oh crap.'

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
FamoFunk said:

Like I said, I don't *do* weddings or marriage, just because I find this really sad and cringy, doesn't mean I've never heard of a joke or have a light-hearted outlook on life. Not everything in life does have to be, "Aww, look at them" :)

Remember: never invite me to you wedding or tell me how you proposed to someone ;)

Earnest Cavalli said:
SirBryghtside said:

What I said above for you and all. Touching moment? I clearly missed it, because they way he did it was stupid, not touching.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I think he meant the 'I'd marry a girl who beat me at video games thing' as a joke and just felt that her beating him was a good moment to propose. She might have been really pleased with herself for beating him and he may have wanted her to feel even better by asking her to marry him. Every relationship is different and every couple has a different idea about a good proposal. I think this is sweet and congratulations to them :)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That's actually alot more touching than I expected. In that I thought it'd be one of them big public stunts, where she knows if she say "no", she'll disappoint hundreds of eager onlookers. No pressure there.