Military Drones Contract Keylogger Virus

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Military Drones Contract Keylogger Virus

These days malware is everywhere. It's even in our flying war machines.

According to a recent report on Wired's Danger Room blog [http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/#more-59492], the US military's airborne Predator and Reaper drones have been infected with a virus. Military techs say the virus intercepts and documents every keystroke sent to the drones by their ground-based pilots, though so far it seems that this information is not actually being transmitted to anyone.

Unfortunately, the military seems unable to remove the virus. "We keep wiping it off, and it keeps coming back," an unnamed source told Wired. "We think it's benign. But we just don't know."

A later Reuters report [http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/07/us-usa-drones-idUSTRE7966FQ20111007] claims that despite the infection, the drones have continued in active service.

Officially, the military remains coy on the issue. "We generally do not discuss specific vulnerabilities, threats, or responses to our computer networks, since that helps people looking to exploit or attack our systems to refine their approach," said Air Combat Command spokesman Lt. Col. Tadd Sholtis. "We invest a lot in protecting and monitoring our systems to counter threats and ensure security, which includes a comprehensive response to viruses, worms, and other malware we discover."

Obviously this is bad news for the drone program, and the military's refusal to discuss the subject should come as no surprise, both given its standard operating procedure on matters of this nature and the inherent value the program has to both the military and the CIA. Over the past few years, a number of targets have been eliminated via drone strikes, most recently Muslim cleric and alleged Al Qaeda member Anwar al-Awlaki.

Even assuming this keylogger is as benign as the military hopes -- and that's still somewhat suspect -- it does little to instill faith in the technology the government is using to fight our wars.

Then again, it would be silly to think that any computer-based element of such a high-profile effort would be impervious to malware. If the past few decades have proven anything, it's that talented hackers and virus writers can and will circumvent even the most well-crafted security measures.

That said, the only real question is when we'll see these drones struck by a truly malicious threat. Forget mass sentience, the real sci-fi horror story comes from the idea of a bored scriptkid taking control of a flying machine armed with heat-seeking missiles and a radar signature that borders on invisibility.

Source: LA Times [http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/10/drone-computer-virus-.html]

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
And that's why you don't let your flying war machines have WiFi, they'll search around for comp on comp pron and end up with their keys logged.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
Forget mass sentience, the real sci-fi horror story comes from the idea of a bored scriptkid taking control of a flying machine armed with heat-seeking missiles and a radar signature that borders on invisibility.
Don't even put the idea in their heads. The last thing we need is some idiot playing with something that could really hurt someone.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Ok who installed the the free toolbars on the military drone put your hand up I know it was one of you

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Yay for skynet! Awww... Too soon?

I'm betting they'll blame this "virus" for all the civilians they've bombed with those things. 'Collateral damage? - Wasn't us! It was the Virus!'

EDIT: Friggin' Ninja'd on the skynet thing. Go figure.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Those techies just can't resist the lure of hundreds of free cursors and wallpapers. Nice to see that the people in charge of multi-million dollar killing machines are keeping them secure.

Sarcasm self-test complete.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
This is actually really creepy, cause you know it was probably some guy Keylogging somehing stupid, only to realize he actually installed a virus...
ZeZZZZevy said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Forget mass sentience, the real sci-fi horror story comes from the idea of a bored scriptkid taking control of a flying machine armed with heat-seeking missiles and a radar signature that borders on invisibility.
Don't even put the idea in their heads. The last thing we need is some idiot playing with something that could really hurt someone.
I agree... God knows the last thing we need is someone reading this and realizing a possibility..

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I am not about to expect the military to think of everything to protect their machines. That is what learning from mistakes and oversights is all about.
Celtic_Kerr said:
This is actually really creepy, cause you know it was probably some guy Keylogging somehing stupid, only to realize he actually installed a virus...
Earnest Cavalli said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
I agree... God knows the last thing we need is someone reading this and realizing a possibility..
Don't worry, guys, someone already realized this idea before it was suggested. No guilt on your shoulders!

MrPanafonic

Oct 4, 2011
You know there is some hacker out there getting the keylog reports from this drone and saying "Damn this guy plays a lot of flight simulators"

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
What if it's just a jaded nerd who wants to get revenge on his one and only girlfriend who just left him, breaking his fragile heart into pieces and sending him spiraling into depression.... 'cos if that happened, I could totally see a UAV covert strike as justified.

Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything. *Starts whistling casually*

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Predator and Reaper drone...

...the drone program...
...drone strikes...

...drones struck...
They are not drones.

Have you any idea what a drone is? A drone is a bee that cannot create honey nor even has a sting, they are useless lumps of matter that do very simple jobs. To apply it to an aircraft imbues it with the same qualities totally inappropriate.

The ONLY time it is appropriate to label an aircraft a "drone" is when it performs a SIMPLE autonomous task like the first pilot-less planes in WWII that were launched for use as mere target practice. They were to fly in a straight line and get shot. That's it.

It betrays illiteracy to apply the term "drone" to these extraordinarily sophisticated, capable and elite aircraft that are pilot-less. They have sting (missiles), they bring in the honey (intelligence) and are not massed to menial task but take on the most important tasks (decapitating Al Qaeda)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
InterAirplay said:
Considering that the use of unmanned Military Vehichles is actually a war crime, we may as well just sit back and watch these drones get slowly destroyed by viruses. I, for one, welcome the idea of every bloody unmanned vehicle getting taken down by a lowly virus. It'd be funny, and it'd be karmic retribution.
According to what internationally ratified law is an Unmanned Aircraft illegal for use in war or anywhere else?

if you mean under the Hague Convention well that bans the deployment of bombs from ALL AIRCRAFT! And that agreement has been de-facto void since the 1910's.

And getting beyond any legal technicalities, what is so barbaric about using a remotely operated aircraft to deliver munitions with pinpoint accuracy, compared to planting roadside bombs? Or simply shooting at an enemy combatant with a rifle?

I understand why using poison gas is a war-crime, as it is indiscriminately applied over a wide area where it does not directly target enemy combatants and can lead to escalation where the danger of mass use against civilians is high.

But considering the agreed intentions of war, what is the problem with remotely piloted aircraft for attack?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
InterAirplay said:
Considering that the use of unmanned Military Vehichles is actually a war crime
Where are you seeing that? The only information I could find was pointing to there being some debates surrounding the use of non-military person as pilots and a drones legal right to self defense responses, but it's only when the subject of unmanned vehicles carrying out autonomous combat actions does question of their implications in international laws of war enter the situation. Every nation is specifically "keeping a man in the loop" to avoid that.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Hopefully this means that we won't totally turn the air force into the drone force. It would be kind of boring to watch a war movie and just have people sitting at computer screens. Don't get me wrong I love drones I just don't want them totally eliminating fighter pilots and such.

Edit: also I bet you $100 that China is behind this.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
InterAirplay said:
Treblaine said:
InterAirplay said:
Considering that the use of unmanned Military Vehichles is actually a war crime, we may as well just sit back and watch these drones get slowly destroyed by viruses. I, for one, welcome the idea of every bloody unmanned vehicle getting taken down by a lowly virus. It'd be funny, and it'd be karmic retribution.
According to what internationally ratified law is an Unmanned Aircraft illegal for use in war or anywhere else?

if you mean under the Hague Convention well that bans the deployment of bombs from ALL AIRCRAFT! And that agreement has been de-facto void since the 1910's.

And getting beyond any legal technicalities, what is so barbaric about using a remotely operated aircraft to deliver munitions with pinpoint accuracy, compared to planting roadside bombs? Or simply shooting at an enemy combatant with a rifle?

I understand why using poison gas is a war-crime, as it is indiscriminately applied over a wide area where it does not directly target enemy combatants and can lead to escalation where the danger of mass use against civilians is high.

But considering the agreed intentions of war, what is the problem with remotely piloted aircraft for attack?
Because using remotely piloted aircaft for an attack against living targets removes the factor of possible loss of life from one side of the conflict. Essentially, this means that one side of the conflict no longer has to worry about potential deaths while killing the enemy, when one of these things can be flown over an immense distance via remote operator to take out the enemy.

This is totally immoral. Putting one side at risk while keeping the other out of combat entirely using advanced tech that only one side has access to removes most of the need for due consideration of whether or not a battle, or even a war, should be started because suddenly the possibility of death is no longer there. I don't care how amoral the enemy is, fighting them without even putting a human in the battlefield is just plain wrong.
So the use of say tanks is immoral in war if the enemy has no means to blow them up? Seriously? Technology is a fact of war, it's why in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq they used the gorilla warfare tactics to counter the superior technology of the US military. Saying we should fight on a level playing field with whoever we're fighting is just silly, besides what about the case where one side has much much less risk? Is that still immoral?

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
John the Gamer said:
Yay for skynet! Awww... Too soon?

I'm betting they'll blame this "virus" for all the civilians they've bombed with those things. 'Collateral damage? - Wasn't us! It was the Virus!'

EDIT: Friggin' Ninja'd on the skynet thing. Go figure.
It's a keylogger. It can't be used to control the drones it just means that whoever put it in will be able to tell what the drones are being used for.