Blizzard Giving Away Diablo 3 Beta Keys on Facebook

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Blizzard Giving Away Diablo 3 Beta Keys on Facebook

Don't worry if you didn't get a Diablo 3 beta key, you could end up with two before you know it.

Were you one of the thousands of Diablo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318416190&sr=8-1-spell ] fans who didn't get a spot in the game's beta? Well fear not, as you might still have a chance to join in the fun. Blizzard is giving away 2,000 keys to the Diablo 3 beta to lucky fans who complete an application on the game's official Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/Diablo?sk=app_6009294086] page.

Starting on October 17th, Blizzard will select 200 winners a week for eight weeks, and each will receive a key that will allow them access to the beta. A quarter of the winners will also receive an additional key that they can give to a friend. All you have to do to be eligible for a key is subscribe to the Diablo 3 Facebook page and submit an entry via Blizzard's sweepstake app. All entries need to be in by December 12th.

If you're interested in the Diablo 3, this seems like a relatively easy way of getting your hands on a key. Sure, you might still be disappointed, but it doesn't cost you anything to try and you might even end up with two.

Diablo 3 comes out for PC in early 2012.

Source: Voodoo Extreme [http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62508/Diablo-III-Beta-Key-Sweepstakes]

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Don't forget to mention the incredibly selective nation restrictions for entry.

Inb4 people whining about how Facebook and Diablo 3 are the most evil thing since sliced Hitler.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Be nice if I could get facebook to work again. Ahh nothing like a company who doesnt believe in a tech support number

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh why oh why didn't I buy a new pc sooner?! By all means I can still buy one now but I have to consider which graphic cards to buy aswell.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Oh, Finland is in the eligible country list! Must have! Done... and done.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010

Oh sorry you posted something? I was busy clicking like mad on the link when i saw it...

Oh a side note, Played it on the floor at GC11 and it was really really fun but they kicked me off before i had a chance to really get into it :(

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
"Only residents of Italy, United Kingdom, Croatia, Mexico, United States, Bulgaria, Switzerland, France, Czech Republic, Taiwan, Belgium, Belarus, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Sweden, Russian Federation, Argentina, Finland, Ireland, Austria, Norway, Canada, Spain, Poland, Germany, Turkey, Serbia and Hungary are eligible to enter this Sweepstakes"

STUPID FLIPPING SON OF A HALF-TROLL!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Riiiight. And knowing the way facebook applications work, it will use the opportunity to publish something about you entering the competition for a beta key to your news feed, thus generating more publicity and hype for the pithy cost of... wait, what does it cost them to run a beta?

You have to hand it to Blizzard for knowing how to get people excited for their games.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
For some weird reason, Poland finally isn't excluded.

But knowing my luck, I have no chance of getting a key before December... or at all ;d I even got beta to the new Warhammer Online off-game, and not Diablo...

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Riiiight. And knowing the way facebook applications work, it will use the opportunity to publish something about you entering the competition for a beta key to your news feed, thus generating more publicity and hype for the pithy cost of... wait, what does it cost them to run a beta?

You have to hand it to Blizzard for knowing how to get people excited for their games.
Sharing it on your board is optional, and you can limit it to your friends or even yourself.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I'll apply, just to have the pleasure of watching it burn while I drink a fine Merlot.

Ah, wait, I can't even do that, because I'm not in a valid country!

*shakefist*

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
"Only residents of Italy, United Kingdom, Croatia, Mexico, United States, Bulgaria, Switzerland, France, Czech Republic, Taiwan, Belgium, Belarus, Luxembourg, Ukraine, Sweden, Russian Federation, Argentina, Finland, Ireland, Austria, Norway, Canada, Spain, Poland, Germany, Turkey, Serbia and Hungary are eligible to enter this Sweepstakes"

STUPID FLIPPING SON OF A HALF-TROLL!
I know how you feel, this made me rage so hard when I read it. Blizzard is clearly racists towards everyone not from those countries.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Bah, so these days it isnt the fans who support the company that gets access to beta's of the companys' latest product... it goes to whoever is willing to sign thier souls to Facebook, and 'like' the companys' facebook page.

Facebook must of slapped old Koticks face with a fat wad of bills to get this one ( Bliz is part of Acti, Bobby Kotick is Acti's head ).
Why did Bliz bother to ask fans to opt in to the beta and submit system specs if they are just handing out the beta keys to whoever uses Facebook to apply ? A good portion of those tickets will go to eBay at extortionate prices, not to actual fans who... you know buy the companys' products, who were eagerly waiting for this game.

Gotta love modern gaming business models, screw the fans and let the money roll in.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
i don't care if my country isn't "eligible"

ill lie on internet surveys as much as i want , as of right now i also live in the united states in my imaginary condo with a duck shaped pool.

this kind of shenanigans is why i sometimes hate blizzard .

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
I can't justify selling my soul for a -chance- to get in. I'll just hope I get in with one of the regular waves. I assume they're still doing those.

And really, can it really be called a beta if they're restricted you to only the very beginning of the game? How the hell is this beta testing if you don't get to see 90% of the game?

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Aenir said:
I can't justify selling my soul for a -chance- to get in. I'll just hope I get in with one of the regular waves. I assume they're still doing those.

And really, can it really be called a beta if they're restricted you to only the very beginning of the game? How the hell is this beta testing if you don't get to see 90% of the game?
Many of the basic mechanics can still be tested, as well as server loads and the like. The beta is also just as much about getting players involved and talking about it (Hype, mostly) as testing things. However, not releasing the rest of the acts is likely because they don't want to spoil the entire plot of the game rather than any truly malicious reasons.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The reason they're doing it through facebook instead of the usual email signup is because Facebook provides them with a lot more personal information about you.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Yay! I hope I get in. Don't care if they use it through Facebook. I just want to get my hands on a beta key.