Revived Daytona USA Coming To PSN, XBLA

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Revived Daytona USA Coming To PSN, XBLA

Hoping to further capitalize on its myriad arcade classics, Sega has revealed plans for a downloadable remake of Daytona USA.

For you kids born during the Clinton administration, let me explain the appeal of Daytona USA. When the game debuted in 1993, it was simply stunning. The 3D graphics were gorgeous, and with everything moving at a steady 60fps, the aesthetics seemed like some truly next-level stuff.

Plus, this was still the classic Sega era, so the game itself is colorful, intuitive and, most crucially, entertaining. Oh, and the game has a soundtrack so catchy that it borders on virulent. Hit play on the embedded clip if you don't believe me.

With all the affection Daytona USA has garnered over the years, it's just good business for Sega to resurrect the game. Thus, Daytona USA will be appearing on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade on October 25 and 26, respectively. Both versions will sport a $10 price tag, and each features a handful of improvements.

Courtesy the official press release:

The re-release of Daytona USA features:

Fresh Oil and a New Coat of Paint: Experience the classic retro graphics of the original arcade hit in an enhanced,16:9 widescreen format

Let's Go Away: Relive your glory days of racing to the sounds of the original Daytona USA soundtrack, also available in Karaoke Mode (admit it, you know you have been singing along anyway)

Pedal to the Metal: Drive like a pro with included support for the Logitech GT Driving Force steering wheel controller on PS3, and all Xbox 360-supported steering wheel controllers

Reach the Winner's Circle: Challenge AI opponents in Arcade Mode, race the clock in Survival and Time Trial Modes, and trade paint with up to eight players in online multiplayer to place on the worldwide leaderboard

Of late I've been very impressed by Sega's revived classics -- on a related note, you should all buy the just-released XBLA Guardian Heroes remake, as it's phenomenal -- but this particular remake has me especially giddy. I mean, Karaoke Mode! This is the best idea Sega's had since the lock-on Sonic & Knuckles cartridge.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I used to play the fuck out of this in Chuck E Cheese. So did my Brother who was born in 2001 (because we have shitty Chuck E Cheese in MD)

I probably won't pick this up though. It just isn't the same as playing it in a loud ass pseudo-arcade surrounded by smelly, screaming children.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Shoggoth2588 said:
I used to play the fuck out of this in Chuck E Cheese. So did my Brother who was born in 2001 (because we have shitty Chuck E Cheese in MD)

I probably won't pick this up though. It just isn't the same as playing it in a loud ass pseudo-arcade surrounded by smelly, screaming children.
thats why you get some lights and kidnap some children then play it =D
Im kidding tho

OT: I rember playing this game a couple times tho never found to much intrist since racing im picky as fuck for since I like combat oriented like Mario Kart or Burnout

I wonder if we will ever get Shenmu 1 or 2 :/

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've never been a fan of arcade racing games, because of that goddamned timer. But I always liked their style and they were lots of fun, until that damned timer gets in the way...

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
I'm underwhelmed. Yes, Daytona USA is awesome, but it had a bunch of home ports already. Worse, it doesn't sound like this one will include the improved graphics, music, new cars and extra tracks from the Dreamcast version or the Circuit Edition.

When will Sega give us Daytona USA 2, Scud Race, Dirt Devils, Wave Runner GP, Club Kart, F355 2, King of the Road, R Tuned, Race TV...?

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
BgRdMchne said:
Was this the "GAME OVER, YEAHHHHHHH!" game?
The Great JT said:
Game on, YEAAAAAAAAAH!!
Wrong game. That was Sega Rally Championship that had the infamous "GAME OVER YEAAAAHHHHH!!!", not Daytona USA.
Daytona USA did have equally awesome game over music, though.

OT: To say I am extremely happy to see the original Daytona USA (what is perhaps one of my absolute favorite arcade games) re-released on XBLA/PSN would be an understatement, and the fact it's not like the recent arcade re-release that had "Daytona" ripped out of the title and soundtrack due to licensing issues just adds to that excitement.