Seattle "Superhero" Arrested For Pepper Spray Assault

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Seattle "Superhero" Arrested For Pepper Spray Assault

[vimeo=30307440]

Like Batman, Phoenix Jones patrols the streets in a one-man war against crime. Unlike Batman, Jones is in jail for pepper-spraying a group of citizens.

According to Seattle police, Jones (nom de reality: Benjamin Fodor) pepper-sprayed a group of clubgoers in the early morning hours as they were walking to their car. Reportedly, two of the men involved chased Jones and in the ensuing fracas, police were summoned to the scene.

Fodor is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow, and if convicted faces "up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine."

The most intriguing part of this case is that the events in question were captured on video by a (presumably) unaffiliated bystander. The clip (embedded above) shows Jones being alerted to a "huge fight," rushing down the street, and attempting to break it up. As far as I can tell, he only pulls the pepper spray after members of the group start attacking him.

I never went to law school, not have I recently studied the legalities surrounding masked vigilantes, but based on the video I can't see any actual assault on the part of Jones. Self-defense, maybe. Going out in public looking like a total nutbar, absolutely. But no actual assault.

Which, now that I think of it, might be part of the problem. People see a guy dressed up in molded rubber body armor, calling himself a "superhero," and they expect that he's going to solve problems with a solution straight out of the pages of DC Comics. If Phoenix Jones had waded into the middle of that fight and started dropping people with roundhouse kicks and phoenix-a-rangs (presumably this is what he calls his 'a-rangs) I think the general public would be far more likely to cheer him on.

Granted, at that point he's looking at far more serious criminal charges, but once you've reached a level where you're naming bladed throwing weapons after your faux persona, you just can't worry about what the cops think.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/12/us-superhero-arrest-idUSTRE79B4DI20111012]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Got to 2 minutes. Too embarrassing for all involved.

But hey, if I'm ever in need of a 6'2" human dildo, I know who to call.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
The truth is I think the cops are getting a little sick of his shit and finally decided to take him down a couple of pegs. He's been running around downtown Seattle since 2010 putting himself in situations where he doesn't belong and potentially putting himself in danger of being seriously injured or killed if things got far enough out of hand. The police department have said many times before they'd prefer that he just call 911 and report what he sees instead if injecting himself into the situation and making it worse.

He's lucky he hasn't been been the target of police a lot more often as he dresses like a twat, carries a cattle prod and pepper spray and his two 'sidekicks' dress in street clothes and black ski masks.

The video that is embedded into the clip is from a local camera crew that was following him at the time and is not affiliated with any local news network so there's no telling how much was edited out of that video before it was released to the public.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Seattle cops are a fucking joke around here, and this one just had a vendetta against Jones. There is no excuse for this kind of abuse of legal power. He was the only one arrested in that fray by they way. Just watch 30 seconds of that video and you can see all the women on an assault rampage, yet they don't get any punishment.

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
So the police can pepper spray a group of innocent people at occupy wall street but a vigilante can't pepper spray some drunk people beating on him?
America y u no be consistent?

EDIT: Yes, i understand that different states have different attitudes, laws whatever.
My point was based upon the unfairness, the immorality of it which makes it unjust, and surely justice should be a pretty much universal standard. I'm frankly amazed at two things:
1. the number of times i was quoted
2. they all basically said "they are in different states, you did know that right?"
For the sake of the pedants
Justice y u no be consistent?

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I always wondered when people would start trying to be real life superheroes, heh. It's a concept a lot of particularly idiotic people would surely have at least considered before.

Result!

EDIT: Well, assuming they haven't already. I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
He's the hero Seattle deserves, not the one it needs right now. He's a loud guardian, a watchful moron, a dark idiot.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Well i guess, by the sequence of hate that our dear escapists are posting, no one likes the "Hero".

Honestly... he stopped the fight and the pepper spray was in order considering himself was attacked... Jail time and 5k fine is kinda harsh considering all things...

And yes he is kinda crazy and idiot to have hopes of being a hero, but you people forgot the most important thing... He hopes to be a hero, he doesn't care he gets injured or hurt, and honestly he does more then lots of big talkers say they would do. Hell... in where peopel say they would do this, he acctually does it.

Still Seattle crimes, appear more to be drunk people and deuchebaggery then anything else... so do not know what kind of crime there is in that place...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Not surprised at all. I like the guy and am sure he means well, but let's face it....

If he wasn't going to get charged for assault he would have wound up dead. If he really wanted to help his community he should have enlisted as a cop or something.

Costumed Superheroes have always been a failed premise, only form of vigilante I could see working in reality is some Dirty Harry wannabe.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The fact that he is specifically out looking for fights, and takes weapons into those fights with the intention of using them, suggests preempted assault, rather than self defence. The difference is crucial, because it distinguishes between what a crazy, irresponsible person would do and what an innocent bystander would do. Had he happened to be carrying self-defence tools with no special intention to use them, and he found himself beset by thugs - then he might have a good cause for "self-defence".

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Adam Jensen said:
He's the hero Seattle deserves, not the one it needs right now. He's a loud guardian, a watchful moron, a dark idiot.
Good man. This needs carving onto a bronz statue of this asshole.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
What a badass costume. Although I don't think he has the right intelligence to be a hero. Bravery, maybe, but any decent vigilante would know to do your bit then get the fuck out of dodge.

That's why, when I get sick of society and decide to help clean it up myself, I'm going to carry smoke pellets and an ultra-bright torch.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
baconsarnie said:
So the police can pepper spray a group of innocent people at occupy wall street but a vigilante can't pepper spray some drunk people beating on him?
America y u no be consistent?
Consistency is overrated. It's far more fun to be a kneejerk reactionary while kowtowing to every whim of our corporate overlords.

It's all kinds of silly, to be perfectly honest. The dude should not have been arrested for this. If he wants to help people and gets himself hurt, it's his own stupid fault. Let him play hero, absolute worst case he gets himself hurt without accomplishing anything. Best case, he has a tremendously positive impact on the area. Leaving him on the street really is a no-lose situation.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
maninahat said:
Adam Jensen said:
Good man. This needs carving onto a bronz statue of this asshole.
Lol, I called somebody an asshole! Just like Penn and Teller, derpadoo!
Forgot an E
Why is this guy an Asshole?
Sure he's probably putting his life at great risk by doing this stuff, but his heart is in the right place. As far as I can tell, he isn't going looking for fights, but rather responding to them. If you heard there was a man choking to death, and you ran to him, you wouldn't be accused of ambulance chasing would you?
While I do think he might be a bit misguided, it's not like he's going out and assault people for selling drugs, or over eagerly tasering people. He's just a altruistic dude that doesn't quite know what to do.
Certainly not an asshole.
An asshole is when you kick puppies, spam emails, or ignore people being hurt because you don't want to get involved.
Why do you think you get to be so vindictive in this situation?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
The reason that he got into this situation is obviously that someone is not doing their job. I don't blame him.