Gabe Newell: Apple Could "Redefine" Consoles

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Gabe Newell: Apple Could "Redefine" Consoles

Valve's CEO suspects that Apple has as many plans for your livingroom as it did for your phone.

There's no denying that Apple's products have revolutionized much of the technology we use to interact with our media. Although I can't claim to own any of said products, I can still see the effects that they've had on how I listen to music and (attempt to) browse the web on my phone. Gabe Newell, CEO of Valve, has noticed this too; only in his mind, it's led to thoughts concerning Apple's conspicious absence from the modern console market. He's worried about it, too.

Speaking at the WTIA TechNW Conference [http://www.washingtontechnology.org/pages/events/events_events_wsaevent.asp?id=TNW10] in Seattle, Newell elaborated on how he sees the console market shifting in the future. "I suspect Apple will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear," he said.

He went on to voice his concerns about this interconnected future and about the "closed" platforms used by both Apple and the XBLA. "They build a shiny sparkling thing that attracts users and then they control people's access to those things...I'm worried that the things that traditionally have been the source of a lot of innovation are going," he said. "Let's say you have a book business and you are charging 5 to 7 percent gross margins. You can't exist in an Apple world because they want 30 percent and they don't care that you only have 7 percent to play with."

Given that a software company with almost no experience in the console games industry was able to design, launch and maintain the Xbox, the concept of Apple attempting some sort of design on the console market isn't as esoteric as it initially sounds. Apple is the company most responsible for the creation of the mobile phone gaming platform, even if it does hold the complete failure of the Pippin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109749-The-50-Worst-Fails-in-Tech-History] in its history. But regardless of whether or not Newell's suspicion holds any water, he is right to highlight the dangers posed by closed, occasionally draconian platform holders. Trust is essential in endeavors of the kind described by Newell; the only question that remains concerns how many consumers would demand it of them.

Source: Seattle Times [http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2016469749_technw_best_and_worst_of_times.html]

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
I've never seen you before!
OT: Closed platform...platforms are really bad for a consumer, as they can't receive things other peoeple have on open-er platforms.

Edit: I suspect a bunch of people will say something about how he is a hypocrit, because his company made steam. I believe their name will begin with s.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
One force I despise backs another.
When all the horrible things come together, it's a sign of the end times right?

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I don't know. Nintendo's doing the casual thing well enough, so Apple would be competing against a company that probably knows what they're doing. If Apple does create a console, I would bet that an updated version would be made a year later. It's just what they do; not understanding longevity.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Everyone doubted Microsoft were creating a console....lets see how this goes :)

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
If apple makes a console they'll be selling about 3 different ones ever year and people will probably keep buying them.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Souplex said:
One force I despise backs another.
When all the horrible things come together, it's a sign of the end times right?
Actually, if you read the story, it says that Gaben is being wary about Apple making a console, not saying that "Apple is going to make a console, let's help them!" like you think he is saying.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CkretAznMan said:
I don't know. Nintendo's doing the casual thing well enough, so Apple would be competing against a company that probably knows what they're doing. If Apple does create a console, I would bet that an updated version would be made a year later. It's just what they do; not understanding longevity.
If they can sell an annual tablet, why not an annual game system?

Don't take me as being "pro apple," I'm more "the consumers would buy it if Apple took a crap in a bag and put out "iTurd" in yearly iterations.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Gabe is only bothered about the closed systems because he can't put steam on them and make money himself.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
Now introducing the........ iConsole.

And in 6 months, they will introduce the iConsole2. Basically the same exact hing, only with a different package and more problems than the first. This will repeat for about 4 years, until they make the portable iConsole (Basically a repackage iPhone.)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Apple already has a popular console, its called the ipad and its very over priced.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Worgen said:
Apple already has a popular console, its called the ipad and its very over priced.
Just think though, with a console, they are obviously worth more than a handheld, they could charge over 3000$ for this baby! And then the next year they bump the price up 300$, then the next and the next!
I'm better 50$ if this happens!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
vivalahelvig said:
Worgen said:
Just think though, with a console, they are obviously worth more than a handheld, they could charge over 3000$ for this baby! And then the next year they bump the price up 300$, then the next and the next!
Very true, apple could never do a console since they would always want to charge way too much for it. Hell, most of apples computers have been closer to consoles with how closed off those damn things are. You can do anything you want with an apple as long as apple lets you.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
I don't understand, is he saying they'll make the super console? Because, I mean, no. SORRY, but no.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Worgen said:
vivalahelvig said:
Worgen said:
Very true, apple could never do a console since they would always want to charge way too much for it. Hell, most of apples computers have been closer to consoles with how closed off those damn things are. You can do anything you want with an apple as long as apple lets you.
So your saying you can't do anything with an apple?

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Why is another manufacturer attempting to enter the console market so bad? They may come up with something profitable that's better than what we have or they may come up with something akin to a lead ballon, but why is their speculated attempt at the market such a bad thing?

I know apple is seen, rightly so recently, as the fad or casual company but then they've never been building something for gamers. They've been building for the faddy, casual market. You know what in the past few years apple have been very good at designing for their target audience, so with a bit of R&D and aiming at us gamers they may put out a good product, and if they don't they get their fingers burnt and don't come back so it's win win.