British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
British Neuroscientist Says Games Cause Dementia

Scientist Susan Greenfield claims that videogames cause dementia in children. Who are we to argue?

In a recent article in the UK's The Sun newspaper, Baroness Greenfield (she's a baroness, for whatever that's worth) urged parents to drag their kids away from games, saying the electronic diversions can cause addiction and physical degeneration.

"Screen technologies cause high arousal which in turn activates the brain system's underlying addiction. This results in the attraction of yet more screen-based activity," Greenfield claims.

Additionally, Greenfield says, "connections" within the brain "can be temporarily disabled by activities with a strong sensory content -- 'blowing the mind'. Or they can be inactivated permanently by degeneration -- ie. dementia."

That's a pretty damning claim, but then again, Greenfield is a baroness (seriously, what does that mean?). Perhaps more importantly, Greenfield is also a scientist who specializes in the physiology of the human brain, and who has spent decades researching Alzheimer's, a disease characterized by exactly this same kind of neural degradation.

It stands to reason that she might know a thing or two about this topic, no?

Maybe not. It seems this isn't the first time Greenfield has attacked gaming. Bad Science [http://bengoldacre.posterous.com/a-clarification-why-people-have-been-concerne] author Dr. Ben Goldacre levels a harsh critique against Greenfield's claims, stating that despite years of this same rhetoric she has yet to publish (or even present) any sort of legitimate data to support her claims.

Continuing, Goldacre also points out that Greenfield has launched a line of games specifically designed to combat the kind of mental damage she claims other videogames can cause. In that light, her motivation for slamming the industry as dangerous has a familiar halo of capitalist intent, doesn't it?

At the end of the entry, Goldacre flat out says that if Greenfield truly believed what she was spouting, she would have a moral and ethical obligation to alert people via proper, respected channels.

"If you believe that computers - which are widespread - pose a serious environmental hazard to children, then you have a responsibility to your peers and most importantly the public to present your theory clearly and formally in an academic journal, so your scientific peers can assess it," Goldacre writes.

"Baroness Greenfield's response to my concerns, and my suggestion that she should write up her concerns about computers damaging childrens' brains formally, has been to say that I am like the people who denied that smoking caused cancer. I think that's just offensive, I'm afraid, and I'd be happy to debate her sensibly and publicly at her convenience."

Though the blog post was written in January 2010, Greenfield has yet to take Goldacre up on this offer.

Source: CVG [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/3871474/Computer-games-are-giving-kids-dementia.html]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/elchupacabra/5095508869/])

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Could UK Escapists please tell the rest of us what sort of paper the Sun is?

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.

Further update: No, seriously. Please stop quoting me.

Yes, I know about page 3 now. Yes others have already described the Sun as toilet paper. There's really no need to reiterate how bad it is.

Dec 14, 2009
She's a baroness, i.e., has nothing better to do with her time and craves attention.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with The Sun, let alone believe anything written on it.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Aidinthel said:
One of those ones that mainly either makes shit up, or talks about celebritys.
Sometimes both at the same time.
Also tits on page 3

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
The Sun is an awful tabloid newspaper where the only reason people buy it is for page 3 (nudes section) so this isnt credible at all.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Aidinthel said:
The Sun is read by morons. It's genuinely the stupidest thing ever. Most people will point and laugh at you for reading it, and then they'll attack you with flaming pitchforks.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
Without any scientific support, she might as well say that happy thoughts create unicorns.

There may be some scientific basis for her conclusion, but until she is able/willing to show it to the world, there is no reason to listen to her or reprint her accusations.

We get enough of this silly rhetoric from American politicians (and Fox news). Her response that the objecting scientist's comments are akin to denying smoking causes cancer speaks volumes to her lack of credibility. And to speak to that last thought, everyone knows that bad thoughts cause cancer!

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Could you please stop reporting on whatever bullshit the Sun and other such papers write?
Your practice of writing articles about whatever seems controversial enough isn't even funny anymore.
Not to mention that you always write them in a style that would put even the Sun to shame. I know you need the traffic, but come on.
The baroness (...): "What does it say about their identity if they are defining themselves by how others see them?"
Indeed.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I thought that there was evidence that the high level of interaction decreased one's chance of getting alzheimers? Maybe I was mistaken...or maybe she is a retard.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Fuck The Sun. They would come out with something like this. What else do you expect from a Rupert Murdoch tabloid? Biased, scaremongering crock of shit

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
That would explain it. I don't know it explains...who are you?

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009

OT: Silly baroness... games themselves don't result in Dementia. You first need to get Oblivion, then the Shivering Isles expansion, then go through the door on the right.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
Aidinthel said:
Not wonderfully reputable I'm afraid. They were the ones who published the article on the 3DS causing headaches and nausea when used in a moving car.

OT: I was sceptical to begin with, but knowing that Ben Goldacre has a problem with her methods just validates my claim. For those who don't know, he writes about 'science' that is often reported in sensationalist stories like the one above, and how very often the studies are unpublished with no actual empirical backing.

So yeah, this just reeks of bullshit. Also, as with many of these claims, note that there is no mention of TV or films in there, despite the fact that they too are 'screen technologies.' Also, I highly doubt that connections in the brain can be temporarily shut down by strong sensory content, whatever that is.

LC Wynter

Jun 13, 2010
]
Aidinthel said:

Update: Ok, question has been very thoroughly answered. No need to reply any more.
I think Harry Enfield explains it fairly well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXuRvthgn4U

On topic? Pah. Nothing new here.
Move along kiddies, we get this all the time.