Extra Punctuation: Shooters of Yore

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
I loved SiN! It was educational, too. I learned the word "ovaries" when they examined the mutant body in the subway.

Yeah..

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Yeah, TekWar love!
There has been a lot of talk about shooters but what about Batman?
That is out here in the States today.

Really, I agree that shooters (of the first person variety) are the most stagnant and disappointing of the current gen. It really is the multiplayer thing, like Yahtzee said in a previous XP, instead of advancing storytelling and gameplay (which I actually care about) they need robust multiplayer (which I could give shit all about).

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
I'm definitely with you on the episodic gaming thing. Seems it's only good anymore for TT's graphic adventures. At least the good news is that they are seriously showing no sign of slowing down on that either, given they've got Jurassic Park coming out, not to mention Fables, The Walking Dead, and just about any other franchise they can get their hands on.

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
I love the shooters of today, but I agree with Yatzee that I miss the challenge. I haven't played these games on the list not because I wasn't a fan, but just too broke to keep upgrading a computer. The earliest shooter I can remember getting me into the genre was Doom, I really got into the fact of not having any more than 30% health and seeing a bloody face set at the lower part of the H.U.D. Going from room to room praying that there HAS to be some heatlh and ammo only to find more and more of those God D@#$ Imps! I find shooters of today are more about spectacle and they save the challange for multiplayer, so if your not into multiplayer your left in the cold.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
I bought Blood about a month ago.
I liked it at first, but then it let me use a voodoo doll as a weapon, and then I LOVED it.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
It amuses me to imagine all the fourteen-year-olds reading this article, who, on reaching the comparison to a Francis bacon painting, google the result, leading them to issue a collective 'urrrrgh' that is heard throughout the world.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I have some really fond memories of SiN, the demo at least. Someone in my computer class in high school brought the demo in and installed it on all the computers we had that could run it and when the teacher was busy grading all of our work for the week before he had to turn grades in we got to spend the whole period for an entire week playing SiN deathmatch. This was all pre-Columbine of course, after that happened the knee-jerk reaction was that we'd probably better not do that anymore just in case some school administrator dropped by while we were all playing.

CD-R said:
Wasn't Sin made into an anime?
Yes and it A) didn't stick to the story of the game B) wasn't that good.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
A game called "Powerslave" with an egyptian theme to it? I wonder if it was inspired by this?

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/albumironmaidenpowersla.jpg/]

Edited, Thanks Falseprophet :)

KilloZapit

Jan 28, 2011
Really I always liked the older FPS games more for the engine and modding tools then for the actual games. I mean, even half-life and half-life 2, as well crafted as parts of them are, basically degenerate into a mostly linear series of encounters (even Dues Ex is not immune to this at times). Most modern FPS games I think try to solve the wrong problem by making the mostly linear series of encounters even more scripted by taking away the need to search for healing items and basing firefights around features in a static environment. Though I suppose what it comes down to is weather you prefer game challenges to be based on mastering the rules governing the world, or if you prefer game challenges to be based on pre-set challenges designed by hand.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I played Unreal Tournament so much it was modded to the gills. The characters were a mix of anime & 40 K characters with voices from George Carlin stand up and Pulp Fiction.
I remember modding those Dark Forces games too.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the Xwing/TieFighter games need a reboot. In fact, with all the additional buttons and directionals on the current gamepads, I bet they could make a good one for the consoles.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I enjoyed sin allot, I even liked the reboot of it, too bad they only made one of them. I cant wait for Serious Sam: BFE though, while it looks like a good portion of the game takes place in brown town, Ill bet money that they stuck in at least a hidden level that takes place on a rainbow or something.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
wooty said:
A game called "Powerslave" with an egyptian theme to it? I wonder if it inspired this

It'd have to be the other way around. The album came out in 1984; the game 12 years later.

But a great album to base a game on, for sure.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
wooty said:
A game called "Powerslave" with an egyptian theme to it? I wonder if it inspired this

Damn it, 14 comments and someone still ninja's me.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I was busy playing Master of Orion, Dune 2, Command and Conquer and failing to play X-Com during that particular age of gaming. (Seriously... I was too afraid to ever clean up a downed UFO.)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Whatever happened to that whole idea of "episodic" gameplay, anyway? Seems like Telltale Games were the only guys that ended up making a big thing of that. I guess after certain parties ended up taking longer to develop episodes than most developers would a full-sized game, everyone kind of lost faith in the idea. Yeah, you know who you are.
Damn right, and Telltale Games is awesome for it. None of that paying $10-$15 per episode crap. None of that waiting forever for the next episode crap. None of that not even telling you how many episodes there are going to be crap. Unlike Valve and SEGA (don't forget that Sonic 4 is actually Sonic 4 Episode 1 with not a single word about Episode 2 anywhere in sight), Telltale Games got it right. One price for the whole package, you know how many episodes you're getting when you pay for the package, and the episodes come out in a timely manner.

Two thumbs up to Telltale Games for being awesome.

blainemono

Jan 13, 2010
Ah, Sin. I can still remember playing with bank terminals on the first level. With enough persistence you could transfer all the money from Alexis Sinclair's account to your own. Talk about dirty cops.

Sadly all their (what was the developer's name by the way? can't remember) creativity went into the first level, the rest of the game was pretty bland by comparison.

Best pistol in a FPS game EVER, though!

BilboB2

Apr 9, 2010
Did anyone have Command and Conquer: Renegade as their first FPS?

No?

...just me, huh?

(Actually, my first FPS was Chex Quest, the best Doom mod ever, but does a game found in a cereal box really count?)