Professor Layton Developer's New RPG Will Come to US After All

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Professor Layton Developer's New RPG Will Come to US After All

Studio Ghibli's first foray into videogames is almost finished, and Namco Bandai has revealed that you won't need an import to experience it yourself.

After what's now been three years of speculation, Level-5's previously announced artistic RPG Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch is officially confirmed for an American and European release sometime in 2012. Level-5, perhaps most famous for its highly popular Professor Layton puzzle series, has teamed with anime powerhouse Studio Ghibli to produce the game, borrowing the studio's famed animation style to create what's shaping up to be one of the most visually unique RPGs on the market. Namco Bandai will be publishing the title outside of Japan.

"It was a momentous experience to create a game with artists who represent Japan as much as Studio Ghibli and Mr. Hisaishi do," said Akihiro Hino, President of Level-5. "We sincerely want to share this title with the entire world."

In the game, players will control Oliver, a 13-year-old boy whose mom suddenly passes away. Soon after, he meets up with a fairy and travels into an alternate reality of the town he lives in, where he will interact with strange versions of the people he already knows and search for the secret to bringing back his mother.

While no official release date or pricing has been announced for its Western release, Ni no Kuni will be out in Japan on November 17th for 8800 Japanese yen. Doing a quick conversion to American dollars puts the game at about $115 for the plain ol' standard edition (yikes!), so those interested in scooping up a copy will surely be hoping that it comes down a bit before its U.S. release next year. If it doesn't, I'm guessing GameFly might find itself with a few hundred new clients come 2012.

Even if you wouldn't consider yourself someone "into" anime, it would be pretty difficult to have missed the impact of Studio Ghibli. Aside from giving us films such as My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle (some of the most successful Japanese animated features to hit Western shores), the studio even won the Best Animated Feature Oscar in 2002 for Spirited Away, still the only non-English language film to ever take the category. It should be interesting to see what the studio is able to bring to a new medium.

Source: IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/120/1200624p1.html]

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Well, we now have proof that videogames incite violence - I will do anything, and I mean ANYTHING to get this game at release.

Seriously, Ghibli and Level-5? That's the ultimate nerd-bait right there.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I personaly loved both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (my favorite of the two), so, let's hope that this title comes with a fair price so that anyone can play the game. I guess that this is an instant buy for me, even if I don't own a console.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Just tell me that a 360 port of equal or greater quality, is coming out as well, and I will be content.
I really don't want to have to buy a PS3 goddamnit =/

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
So it's a remake, but it's also a sequel to their DS game from last year?
L10nH3ArT said:
Aside this I also Love Level-5, thanks for titles like Dark Could 2, Rouge Galaxy, never played White Knight Chronicles though.
Consider yourself lucky. I tired once (or multiple times), it wouldn't let me past the first thing it asked of me.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
They also confirmed the release in Europe. :)

Although we'll have to see if they translate it to all the FIGS languages. They will have to if they want to have some decent success.

Although I'm still skeptical.

Even if they made this game with Studio Ghibli, RPGs are still Level-5's weak spot.

They are very irregular, and none of the RPGs they've done so far has gone beyond a "not-bad-but-not-great". Some of them have been very creative, though.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
...and here's a trailer:

It's got Studio Ghibli written all over it. Which in my books is just fine! So glad I bought a PS3, this looks like it may justify the hole in my wallet.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008

And

This is really awesome and I want it now... I can't wait to get his for my DS.

Feb 18, 2009
Haven't played any of the Level-5 games yet, so I don't really know what to expect, except that the game will look and sound amazing. That's good enough a reason for me to want it - so badly it hurts.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I going to go berserk if the Europe will take years just because of tanslation issue (I may as well import it).

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Damn straight it will. I'm still pissed about Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright probably not coming over here, I didn't need this kept from me, too.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
You know, you have to actually be specific here. There are two Ni No Kunis - the DS one and the Ps3 one. If you don't tell people which it is, we're gonna see a lot of dissapointed 3DS owners (well, more dissapointed). And if you arge that people may not know about the DS version, thats just misleading them further, as you never said Ps3 in the body of your article.
]

I was specific. There is only one Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, which is not available, nor has it ever been, on DS. I should have noted it was coming out for PS3, however, so let me clarify that now. It's coming out for PS3. :-D

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
While this is awesome news for all PS3 owners, I am waiting with bated breath for the DS version Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoshi. It currently occupies a place in my heart that was left empty by the non-existent English version of Mother 3.