Rumor: Michael Bay in Talks to Make Two New Transformers Movies

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Michael Bay in Talks to Make Two New Transformers Movies

If Paramount gets its way, the new Transformers could have a lot more cockneys and kicking.

Director Michael Bay is said to be in talks with Paramount over returning to the Transformers franchise for not one, but two new movies. The studio apparently wants to shoot Transformers 4 and 5 back to back in order to save money, and Bay is said to be "interested" in more robotic carnage.

Bay apparently wants to film his something without robots first - the bodybuilding crime thriller Pain and Gain - but as Paramount's plan wouldn't see filming start until either late 2012 or early 2013, there's plenty of time for him to do both. The plan also reportedly includes hiring Jason Statham as the star, which would suggest a fairly significant change in tone from Shia LaBeouf's three-part coming of age story.

The Transformers movie franchise has done incredibly well with Bay at the helm - even in the face of a particularity frosty critical reception - so it's not really surprising that Paramount would want to bring him back. Of course, there are plenty of Transformers fan who hoped that they'd seen the last of Bay, and that the next movie would be more like the G1 continuity they'd grown up with. Still, Bay can't make Transformers movies forever, right?

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/17/transformers-4-and-5-planned-for-one-big-back-to-back-shoot-possibly-with-jason-statham/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29]

Feb 13, 2008
That's it settled then. We cannot achieve anything until Lucas and Bay are both removed from the gene pool. Throw Cowell in there as well.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Wat.

I mean...

How the fuck do you revive a series that you brutally killed off the big bads to? Then again, a revival deus ex machina really wouldn't be beyond Bay would it, if it meant another two movies that will gross an inordinate amount of cash.

I'm morbidly curious as to what the hell he'd do with the series if he was greenlit for another go, but I really hope it falls through.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
Bay is said to be "interested" in more robotic carnage.
When is he not interested in carnage of some description? All I can say to this is: Oh. Dear. God.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Yes please. Being a Transformers fan since birth I can only give support for this. Bay certainly hasn't been my favorite director, and his changes to the bots and story were insulting at first. I've grown to look at the movie franchise as disconnected and alternate to the established lore, and thus find myself enjoying it a lot more. The third movie was a great step in the right direction to cleaning up Bay's in your face shot framing. I only hope it gets better from here, and more bots on the screen for longer durations. Bring it on!

Fayathon said:
Wat.

I mean...

How the fuck do you revive a series that you brutally killed off the big bads to? Then again, a revival deus ex machina really wouldn't be beyond Bay would it, if it meant another two movies that will gross an inordinate amount of cash.

I'm morbidly curious as to what the hell he'd do with the series if he was greenlit for another go, but I really hope it falls through.
They still have the possibility of Galvatron and Unicron if they stick with the main series stories. Or they might invent a new baddie, They never showed Cybertron completely destroyed, and the Decepticons numbered in the millions. The movie only showed off a fraction of the force that was supposedly left on Cybertron.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Hooray. More offensive stereotypes and terrible jokes for everyone!

Bacaruda

Jul 10, 2011
More proof that the only good studio left is Universal.

Ah, yes. I do love Universal, even though they have had their share of mistakes.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
While normally I don't like Micheal Bay ... he is rather well suited for the transformer movies. Plenty of explosives being used with high budget CG isn't that bad a thing. The news could be far worse.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
So, let me get this straight. Not only has filming back-to-back (this is talking Hollywood Blockbusters only here) resulted in good films (critically at least) 1 time -- the Harry Potter 7 films -- but now studios are going to do this for three major franchises? I don't understand. We've got Fast and the Furious 6 and 7 being shot back-to-back, we're going to have the new Terminator films shot that was as well. Add the Breaking Dawn split and this new Transformers revelation -- I dunno, doesn't it just seem like too much reliance on a technique that has had very mixed results in the past? Just look at the 2nd and 3rd Pirates or Matrix films.

Oh well. In the end, it's all about the money.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
What... I don't... Huh...?

Sigh...

Whatever, bro. One can hope they go with different writers. Preferably a maximum of two writers. Then again, I live in Toontown.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Marter said:
So, let me get this straight. Not only has filming back-to-back (this is talking Hollywood Blockbusters only here) resulted in good films (critically at least) 1 time -- the Harry Potter 7 films), but now studios are going to do this for three major franchises? I don't understand. We've got Fast and the Furious 6 and 7 being shot back-to-back, we're going to have the new Terminator films shot that was as well. Add the Breaking Dawn split and this new Transformers revelation -- I dunno, doesn't it just seem like too much reliance on a technique that has had very mixed results in the past? Just look at the 2nd and 3rd Pirates or Matrix films.

I loved the entire trilogies of those last two series you mentioned.

Another transformers movie though...that wouldnt make me spend money if my life depended on it. The last transformers movie is quite possibly the WORST movie I have ever had the misfortune to see. Even if it was not a lot of money, spending money on that cinema is one of my greatest regrets.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What? Why should they keep letting him make all those massively proftiable movies for massive profits? This makes no sense to me.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
NO! NOOO! NOT THIS WAY!

Why are you frigging DOING this, Bay!? Are you not content with how much damage you did to the series already?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Huh, I though he said he wasn't going to be involved in the Transformers franchise any more. I remember throwing a party and everything.

And really, they want to cut down on costs when the last movie made $1,119,241,043[sup][1][/sup]?

moviedork

Mar 25, 2011
tzimize said:
Marter said:
So, let me get this straight. Not only has filming back-to-back (this is talking Hollywood Blockbusters only here) resulted in good films (critically at least) 1 time -- the Harry Potter 7 films), but now studios are going to do this for three major franchises? I don't understand. We've got Fast and the Furious 6 and 7 being shot back-to-back, we're going to have the new Terminator films shot that was as well. Add the Breaking Dawn split and this new Transformers revelation -- I dunno, doesn't it just seem like too much reliance on a technique that has had very mixed results in the past? Just look at the 2nd and 3rd Pirates or Matrix films.

I loved the entire trilogies of those last two series you mentioned.

Another transformers movie though...that wouldnt make me spend money if my life depended on it. The last transformers movie is quite possibly the WORST movie I have ever had the misfortune to see. Even if it was not a lot of money, spending money on that cinema is one of my greatest regrets.
I hope I don't sound rude on this, but any one who says that Transformers 3 is possibly the worst movies they've ever seen clearly hasn't seen enough movies in their lifetime.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
They... they're letting Michael Bay... direct another Transformers movie?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh come on! Wasn't the third one suppose to be the final one and the next one is suppose to be a reboot? (Look like I was wrong.)