See Grand Theft Auto 3 In Action On The iPad

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
See Grand Theft Auto 3 In Action On The iPad

Is "console accurate" a valid descriptor? Based on this footage from the New York ComicCon, the iPad iteration of Grand Theft Auto 3 is very "console accurate."

At some indeterminate time later this year, Grand Theft Auto 3 will be appearing on the iPad and iPhone 4S. Neat right? A handheld, open-world crime simulator sounds like fun, doesn't it?

But maybe you're the cautious type. Maybe you're thinking, "sure, I'd love to shoot a cop, but I'm not entirely convinced that my fancy iPad can render a game originally designed for the PlayStation 2." That, my friend, is a valid fear, and I was with you in shared trepidation right up until I saw the video embedded above.

Captured by YouTube user "tekunoloji" during the recent New York ComicCon, the clip is a pretty standard gameplay vignette from the early part of the game. If you've played GTA3, you'll recognize everything in the video. What you'll also notice is that the game runs really, really well on the handheld Apple hardware. Impressively so.

Granted, the clip never shows the kinds of massive multi-vehicle detonations that might really stress the technology, but it does cover almost everything you'd see in 90 percent of normal gameplay, and the engine never really chokes on the visuals.

Given that the game is not yet finished, you've still got permission to fret for its eventual debut, but you optimists also have permission to suddenly feel very giddy about this game's upcoming release. If you feel the need to jump around and clap like one of those cymbal monkeys, now would be the time to do so.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sure it looks well enough, but I'm not sure if I would play a game like that using only a touch screen. Aiming must be a real pain in the ass. Well, personally any aiming that isn't done with a mouse seems bad to me...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Good to see some proper games are getting out, but why did they go and port the worst GTA... I guess next to those flash games it will still be the shit.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
GTA3 uses every button on a joypad, it'll be interesting to see how well the touch controls are actually implemented.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Still not interested, just because it's not Vice City, but still, that certainly looks really good, but I wonder if we really have to act impressed at this point after such graphical achievements that the iDevices already has, especially Infinity Blade.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If they're trying to suggest the controls work well, a video that begins with the protaganist dying and ends with him getting his butt handed to him as he tries to jack a car is probably not the best demonstration.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
a game were you shoot cops take drugs and can have sex yep that will pass apple approval process with a A+

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Not interested. GTA 3 had its moment, way back when. It intro'd me to the world of... well open worlds and set me on the path of wanton "screw this plot point, lets kill some random citizens!"
Since its release the game has NOT aged well and most likely (as this video seems to point out) will not play well on a touchpad.
Sorry, but people try to convince me that Apple has games but none of them are games I REALLY want to play... and none of them are worth buying a $600 iPad for.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
It's not a totally crazy idea to see a 3D GTA-style game on iDevices. There' already a Vice City rip off on iTunes. I can't think of the name of it right now but apparently it's not bad. So yeah, if you guys really want Vice City on iPhone or whatever then something like that already exists.

EDIT: I found it's called Gangstar: Miami Vindication.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Yopaz said:
Sure it looks well enough, but I'm not sure if I would play a game like that using only a touch screen. Aiming must be a real pain in the ass. Well, personally any aiming that isn't done with a mouse seems bad to me...
Sneaking some PC elitism in. Yay...

I cannot see myself playing this at all, for a variety of reasons. Controlling GTA with a touch screen just seems like a chore to me.
How is stating my personal opinion elitism? I didn't say that aiming with the mouse is objectively better, nor that anything that's not done on a computer is terrible. I prefer some games with mouse and keyboard some with controller. Should I accuse you of console elitism for calling me a PC elitist?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Yopaz said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Yopaz said:
Sneaking some PC elitism in. Yay...

I cannot see myself playing this at all, for a variety of reasons. Controlling GTA with a touch screen just seems like a chore to me.
How is stating my personal opinion elitism? I didn't say that aiming with the mouse is objectively better, nor that anything that's not done on a computer is terrible. I prefer some games with mouse and keyboard some with controller. Should I accuse you of console elitism for calling me a PC elitist?
Sure. If you want. But sneaking a comment in about how PC gaming is better in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with PC or console gaming shows a slight amount of elitism.

OT: Wait... so this was the anniversary thing at the NYCC? I was hoping for a re-release on consoles.
I said it looked great, but that I wouldn't want to play a game completely using a touch screen. Much like your own post. The part about the mouse was an afterthought.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The chances of me grabbing this are slim considering I've still got the original but I can't help but wonder if cheats will work for the iPad version...jeeze, the guy playing was having some major issues what with getting his ass kicked in the beginning and having his car re-jacked towards the end.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Here's hoping for a portable multimedia extravaganza!

In all honesty, this is pretty cool, but I fear for the battery life if anyone dares to play it off the charger.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Grand Theft Auto 3 will be appearing on the iPad and iPhone 4S.
This is probably a dumb question, but will it be available for the iPod Touch as well?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
GTA Vice City runs perfectly smooth on my Netbook. No reason GTA 3 won't run on an iPad. Can you connect a gamepad/KB&M to an iPad or do you have to use the touchscreen? That just sounds uncomfortable.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Maybe you're thinking, "sure, I'd love to shoot a cop, but I'm not entirely convinced that my fancy iPad can render a game originally designed for the PlayStation 2." That, my friend, is a valid fear, and I was with you in shared trepidation right up until I saw the video embedded above.
Actually, I was thinking "Why would I want to play this game on a crappy touch screen device with no buttons when I can get it and a PS2 for cheap and play it on a nice big TV with BUTTONS and JOYSTICKS so I don't have to worry about crappy iPad controls?"

And I think that same video above shows that my thoughts are well founded, and have in fact turned out to be true. That, or the guy playing really sucks at the game. But if it's the latter, they really should have found someone who can play the game properly to advertise the game with, because now they made the game look like shit. In other words, touch screen controls for this sort of thing do not have a good rep and this video didn't help their cause.