Quantum Levitation: The Coolest Science You'll See Today

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Quantum Levitation: The Coolest Science You'll See Today

The video you are about to see contains high-level physics, quantum superconductors and presumably wizards. You have been warned.

The clip, which has been making its way around the 'net since its debut this weekend, was taken at the 2011 ASTC conference, a gathering of sciencefolk in Baltimore, Maryland designed to demonstrate "how science centers and museums are putting new ideas to practical use to serve their communities."

This vignette is a demonstration by Israel's Tel Aviv University of a phenomenon called "quantum levitation." Though the video itself fails to explain the physics behind the disk's baffling ability to maintain orientation despite non-trivial factors like gravity and the rampant disbelief of onlookers, the University put together a website to explain things [http://www.quantumlevitation.com/levitation/The_physics.html].

If I'm understanding this correctly, the disk (which is a sapphire wafer coated with an ultrathin layer of yttrium barium copper oxide) is cooled to below negative 185 degrees Celsius. At that temperature the material becomes superconductive (read: it is able to conduct electricity with no energy loss).

From here on out things get a bit complicated, so I'll just quote the site's surprisingly excellent explanation:

Superconductivity and magnetic field do not like each other. When possible, the superconductor will expel all the magnetic field from inside. This is the Meissner effect. In our case, since the superconductor is extremely thin, the magnetic field DOES penetrates. However, it does that in discrete quantities (this is quantum physics after all! ) called flux tubes.

Inside each magnetic flux tube superconductivity is locally destroyed. The superconductor will try to keep the magnetic tubes pinned in weak areas (e.g. grain boundaries). Any spatial movement of the superconductor will cause the flux tubes to move. In order to prevent that the superconductor remains "trapped" in midair.

Science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke once wrote that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Though at the time he was referring to theoretical technology found in his stories (and using this explanation as a reason why he had no need to explain the inner workings of his fantastical creations) it seems tailor-made for this situation.

Even with the physics explained to me I'm tempted to throw holy water at my screen. Either that or start a cult to worship that disk. "Ad majorem orbis gloriam," the chants will say, and then we'll hear a reading from the Book Of Disk, specifically, Disk's First Letter to the Corinthians.

"When I was a disk, I spoke as a disk, I felt as a disk, I thought as a disk," and so on and so on until we get bored and find another inanimate object to worship.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
That's cool. It also answers some questions I've always had about superconductance and magnetism

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
This whole thread is going to be people rehashing that tired Insane Clown Posse meme, isn't it?

Internet, I hate you so much.

spartan231490 said:
That's cool. It also answers some questions I've always had about superconductance and magnetism
Good reply. Thank you for not being a cliché.

May 5, 2010
Fucking magne-Awww.

OT: I have only question. Where is my hover-car?

EDIT: Wait, you said superconductors can conduct electricity without losing energy?

Wouldn't that a source of unlimited energy then?

EDIT 2: REVENGE OF THE EDIT: Never mind.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
My question: If the thing is negative 185 Celsius how does he avoid burning his fingers when he touches it?

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Fucking magne-Awww.

OT: I have only question. Where is my hover-car?

EDIT: Wait, you said superconductors can conduct electricity without losing energy?

No. You still need to get the electricity from somewhere first, which requires energy. It would, however, allow us to transfer electricity with no power loss. The only reason we don't do this is that superconductors have this annoying tendency of needing to be supercooled to work.

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
Sorry I had to

OT: That is brilliant, +10 internets to them. Could it have a use?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Wow, that is awesome! Maybe one day this type of tech will be able to really help this planet...or be used for some crazy ass destructive weapon by our government (the most likely outcome).

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
My question: If the thing is negative 185 Celsius how does he avoid burning his fingers when he touches it?
I was thinking that aswell, that should be so cold he gets burned.

OT:....I want this science fully invested in. Put those rails all over the globe and lets us fly around in tilted vehicles...xD

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:

No, it only transfers the energy from one place to another without loss. Existing energy extraction techniques have to be used to get the energy in first place.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well, I can safely say, that my mind has actually been blown. That's the full truth as well.