Don't Expect Friendly Dragons in Skyrim, Says Bethesda

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Don't Expect Friendly Dragons in Skyrim, Says Bethesda

You can add "heartwarming buddy movie" to the list of things that Skyrim most definitely is not.

If you had hopes of taming a dragon in Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Xbox-360/dp/B004HYK956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319026162&sr=8-1] and being best friends forever, then you're in for a world of disappointment. Bethesda's Peter Hines says that Skyrim's dragons are more Smaug than they are Puff, with little else on their mind other than hurting people.

"This is not How to Train Your Dragon, " he said. "This is how to kill a whole bunch of very mean things that have come to kill and hurt people ... Might there be exceptions and nuances to that? Possibly. I wouldn't want to say anything beyond that. But this is not a game where, like, 'no, dragons are our friends and we just have to learn to get along!'"

He also talked about Skyrim's Radiant Story system, which adds random encounters to the world. He described a scenario where the player is attacked and killed by bandits on the way to a dungeon. The next time the player walked that road, it might not be bandits; instead, it might be a wizard or a hunter. He said that Radiant Story would allow people to have a unique experience with the game, without it every being obvious what was scripted and what wasn't.

"It's subtle, we don't ever want you to know or notice when you're experiencing something that's got Radiant Story," he explained. "But when you're around the watercooler the next day and everybody's talking about what they did, even if you did the same quest you'll be like 'hey wait a minute, I went to a different dungeon, which one did you go to? Mine had waterfalls.'"

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: GameSpot [http://au.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/video/6340827/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-interview-with-pete-hines]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I am absolutely fine with this.
The more dragon slaying the better.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
I am disappointed by this.

Skyrim Dev - "Dragon's fire is like their language, shouts are words you've learned blah blah blah" (Paraphrasing).

Now lets slaughter these majestic beasts!

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Wait, so was someone expecting friendly dragons? I mean, I haven't seen anything even remotely hinting of that.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
I always preferred dragons when they tried to kill me anyway. Thanks, Bethesda.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
He also talked about Skyrim's Radiant Story system, which adds random encounters to the world. He described a scenario where the player is attacked and killed by bandits on the way to a dungeon. The next time the player walked that road, it might not be bandits; instead, it might be a wizard or a hunter. He said that Radiant Story would allow people to have a unique experience with the game, without it every being obvious what was scripted and what wasn't.

"It's subtle, we don't ever want you to know or notice when you're experiencing something that's got Radiant Story," he explained. "But when you're around the watercooler the next day and everybody's talking about what they did, even if you did the same quest you'll be like 'hey wait a minute, I went to a different dungeon, which one did you go to? Mine had waterfalls.'"
I love how they're talking about a random number generator like it's a revolutionary new feature that'll change video games forever. I still plan on picking up Skyrim, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm really starting to get sick of all this industry bull they keep spoonfeeding us as if we're a bunch of retarded chimps.

Leole

Jul 24, 2010
So, quest get to play out in ANY dungeon/cave? That's awesome!

One of the main things I have long periods of time between my playthroughs in Oblivion is because the quest always play out the same, and I kinda want to "forget" what did I do last time I was there. With different caves every time I need to kill Orcs for a quest, that's gonna make it very much more interesting!

Hell yeah!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
it's a game about killing shit. that is what he said. you kill shit(paraphrased).
so why the fuck can't i get the medieval fantasy equivalent of a tank/helicopter? i think taming one bloody dragon can come under 'killing shit'. i dont want to get ice-cream sundaes with Dragony Fuckface, i want to incinerate the population of a city while using his back like a surfboard miles above the mountaintops.
even if you get one small dragon thats basically got 1 elemental attack you upgrade and can fly/jump and run like a horse after collecting a bunch of dragon-souls or some shit like that. that would be fucking awesome.

Dec 14, 2009
Fuck dragons.

Those bastards always have a chip on their shoulder.

I'll show them.

[sub]I'll show them all...[/sub]

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
I give it a month before PC guys mod in Dragon Companions. Who will go off and kill and bring back food/armor/weapons/septims.

Mar 30, 2010
Deshin said:

I love how they're talking about a random number generator like it's a revolutionary new feature that'll change video games forever. I still plan on picking up Skyrim, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm really starting to get sick of all this industry bull they keep spoonfeeding us as if we're a bunch of retarded chimps.
+1. Roguelikes have been using RNGs to generate unique gaming encounters since the early 80s. Are Bethesda expecting us to fall to our knees and worship them for utilising 30 year old ideas?

Don't get me wrong, the main reason I like Roguelikes is because each and every time I play the same game I get a different experience, and I'm glad Bethesda have gotten on board, but please Bethesda, don't expect us to believe that this 'Radiant Story' is new or innovative.

Also, who watched the trailers for Skyrim (which went on about dragons ravishing the lands of Tamriel) and expected friendly dragons?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Notthatbright said:
I give it a month before PC guys mod in Dragon Companions. Who will go off and kill and bring back food/armor/weapons/septims.
Absolutely. Pretty much Dogmeat, but with scales and fire and claws and all. As for those longing for something that resembles more a certain bromance between Dennis Quaid and Sean Connery, I'm sure we'll eventually get fully scripted and acted quests that involve either us helping one or two dragons out, or otherwise interacting with 'em.

I also give it a month before we see an anthro dragon custom race.

Personally, though, I think it's all a matter of taste. I don't mind slaying evil geckos by the buckets, and I don't mind knowing I'll essentially be committing ethnic cleansing to save the two-legged bigots of Skyrim. :) Someone out there will, obviously. I think Bethesda's on the right track by choosing to focus on the core aspect of the game (i.e. killing shit) and letting the more common dragon fantasies slip aside for the time being.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Leole said:
So, quest get to play out in ANY dungeon/cave? That's awesome!

One of the main things I have long periods of time between my playthroughs in Oblivion is because the quest always play out the same, and I kinda want to "forget" what did I do last time I was there. With different caves every time I need to kill Orcs for a quest, that's gonna make it very much more interesting!

Hell yeah!
What, you mean like they did in Daggerfall?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Wuggy said:
Wait, so was someone expecting friendly dragons? I mean, I haven't seen anything even remotely hinting of that.
Pretty much my reaction as well. Granted I've only seen the gameplay videos, but the dragons didn't seem very cuddly.