A Musical Warning for Battlefield 3 Campers: You Gonna Die

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
A Musical Warning for Battlefield 3 Campers: You Gonna Die

The man who gave us the live-action Skyrim: Dragon Hunt video is back with a special message for Battlefield 3 campers: it ain't goin' down this time around.

Full disclosure: I like camping. I enjoy the stealth, the sneaking and of course the popping guys in the head from out of nowhere when they think that they're safe and sound and have nothing to worry about. But most people don't dig that style of play for some reason, and the term "camper" has some decidedly negative connotations. Case in point is Campers Be Warned, the new video from Tom Antos and DeStorm.

"I love FPS games. Call Of Duty or Battlefield are both great, but what I hate are campers. So here's a video making fun of all those campers who sit out the whole game while other players run around scoring kills," Antos wrote on YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zmuZ9N0pg_o]. "In Battlefield 3 it's going to be extra hard to camp since the environment is destructible and there are lots of vehicles including tanks, helicopters and JETS!"

You may recall Antos as the guy who gave us the Skyrim: Dragon Hunt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113167-Live-Action-Skyrim-Fan-Film-is-Short-But-Sweet] video back in September. That was cool but this is more my speed: fun (and informative!) without being too heavy-handed. I'll still be out there camping, though. Consider yourself warned.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I find it amusing that when some guy tried to post a thread about this on the forum, he got locked down.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.318825-Campers-Be-Warned-Battlefield-3-music-video

Maybe the Escapist just really doesn't like being scooped. (Was that the right term?)

Apr 28, 2008
lolwut

In the beta camping was the best strategy. Also very easy to do since it was pretty hard to see people from far away.

Matches usually devolved into people sitting at spawn and sniping the other team as they spawned.

Zhukov said:
I find it amusing that when some guy tried to post a thread about this on the forum, he got locked down.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.318825-Campers-Be-Warned-Battlefield-3-music-video
Sweet, I was the only one to reply to that! I feel special now.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Irridium said:
Zhukov said:

Sweet, I was the only one to reply to that! I feel special now.
Yup.

Reading your post gave me a rather brutal case of deja vu.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
If you want to camp, go to the woods!

Games like this are only fun when you charge in recklessly with little regard!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Good, delivering a message to those annoying bastards. Cant wait for this game, I'm gonna terrorize them camping little bitches all over again.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
Ok, I will admit it, I happen to be a MAJOR camper.
Can't handle it? Then stay away from the Battlefield series, they are my huntinggrounds.
Recon camper and proud.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
I don't see anything wrong with what he did in rounds 1 and 3. He gained the high ground which would give him a better vantage point and make it easier to get kills. That's a legitimate strategy.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Irridium said:
lolwut

In the beta camping was the best strategy. Also very easy to do since it was pretty hard to see people from far away.

Matches usually devolved into people sitting at spawn and sniping the other team as they spawned.
If you know the right tactics and can coordinate correctly it's easy to overwhelm a containment like that. The idea isn't try to break out in all directions but to focus in one direction and then sweep away the rest of the campers from the flank. Of course, your teammates have to have a brain cell or two kicking around.

Enough on tactics. When I played CoD, I was frequently infuriated by campers. Nothing like a little ***** who sits in a corner with a shotgun fucking up your killstreak. A large reason why I stopped playing that game. At least in BF I can blow the fuck out of the entire building the camper is in. I might not even kill him, but it makes me feel better.

Apr 28, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
Irridium said:
lolwut

If you know the right tactics and can coordinate correctly it's easy to overwhelm a containment like that. The idea isn't try to break out in all directions but to focus in one direction and then sweep away the rest of the campers from the flank. Of course, your teammates have to have a brain cell or two kicking around.
Also close to impossible to do since on the console, you can only communicate with your squad of three other people, basically leaving you cut off from communicating with the other 8 people on your team.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Video is funny as hell. Seriously, definite praise from me.

Stekepanne5 said:
Can't handle it? Then stay away from the Battlefield series, they are my huntinggrounds.
Recon camper and proud.
What? How dare you not run around like an eight year old on a sugar buzz? You're playing the game wrong because you're not playing it like me!

Now here's a list of all the tactics I use find acceptable. Please limit your playstyle in the future.

WouldYouKindly said:
AND they have to be able to communicate in something other than profanity, racial/ethnic/sexual slurs, and calling hax. Can't speak for PC shooters, but on PS3/360, you might as well ask for your team to consist of Superman, Santa Claus, and Solid Snake. >.>

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:

Stekepanne5 said:
Recon camper and proud.
What? How dare you not run around like an eight year old on a sugar buzz? You're playing the game wrong because you're not playing it like me!

Now here's a list of all the tactics I use find acceptable. Please limit your playstyle in the future.

WouldYouKindly said:

AND they have to be able to communicate in something other than profanity, racial/ethnic/sexual slurs, and calling hax. Can't speak for PC shooters, but on PS3/360, you might as well ask for your team to consist of Superman, Santa Claus, and Solid Snake. >.>
In general, BF players are either silent or helpful. There's a lot less rage than on CoD, though a part of that might be how many people you can hear at a given moment.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
To be honest when I first read this title, I immediately thought of this...
At any rate though, since I really didn't like Battlefield 2 (will not be getting 3 because of this and Origin) I don't really have any experience with campers in that game... But I don't mind them to much in other games, so my guess this guy is just pretty butthurt.

DOS4GW

Oct 22, 2010
Seriously, if you're never camp in Battlefield, you're doing it wrong. Nothing grinds my gears more than some MW bro running around aimlessly trying to score kills instead of playing the objective and helping his team.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Irridium said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Irridium said:
lolwut

Also close to impossible to do since on the console, you can only communicate with your squad of three other people, basically leaving you cut off from communicating with the other 8 people on your team.
I call it a matter of being able to read a battle. That's why your other teammates have to be fairly intelligent. For instance, if your options are crossing the open field on the left(in the first area of Metro), and going to the right where things are much closer and more congested, which would you chose? It makes sense to go where you can hide, where there is cover, so go to the right.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I do camp, but when I do, it's with a LMG overlooking an objective, and EVERYBODY will know where I am. I ain't hiding, you know where I am, it's your job to get me out and take such a strategic position.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:

Stekepanne5 said:
Recon camper and proud.

WouldYouKindly said:
I understand now, I am so sorry.
That 25-killstreak I got by camping with a sniper in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 should newer have been unleashed onto the other team.

For now on and till the end of time I will always pick the weapon with the highest fireing rate and run-and-gun in the same fashion as a six year old that was given shots of pure sugar into his blood stream.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Camping is fine in a game like Battlefield where defending positions is such an important part of the game.

What is not fine is sitting at spawn, taking poorly-aimed potshots at the distant enemy base over the heads of your teammates.