Star Wars: The Old Republic Hands On

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Star Wars: The Old Republic Hands On

BioWare sets us loose to explore the galaxy on our own.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Doesn't the group thing get in the way of the conversations?

I'd be pretty miffed if I wanted to ask a character for more story content, only to have one of my colleagues hit the 'just shoot him' option.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Republic Fighting Separatists? God, can they not come up with some cool name for an independent league? Like the League of Independence or something?

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
If not for the monthly subscription I would be getting it day one.

This is after playing the beta too.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
tmande2nd said:

Can you explain why a monthly sub is a deal breaker? This may not be the case with yourself, but many cringe at the idea of paying a $15 sub, but are quick to drop 60 bucks monthly on a new release, or even 20 bucks on a sale on Steam.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Steve Butts said:
It also appears that Light Side and Dark Side points for choices made during the conversations are only awarded to players who voted for the conversation option that was ultimately given. So if you want a criminal to destroy a shipment of illegal goods but the rest of your party votes to profit from them, your choice won't be honored but at least you won't suffer Dark Side points for it.
Just FYI, in that particular situation you'd actually still get the light side points for the decision you made, despite being overruled by the winning vote. =)

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Too many half ass good F2P MMO's have started to blur the vision in regards to pay to play titles.

Frankly I could care less about sub fees or not, if the games good, I'll pay, if the game sucks I won't even play it for free...and the games I won't play for free is getting to be a pretty long list.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
I kind of want to this just for storyline purposes. I would of been sold if the game didn't seem so black and white for the evil and good options. Sounds like if I choose to be a sith I'm stuck being one and my choices should be all be dark sided related, and the same vice versa.

Still, I really do want to check this out. I can't help but worry about it's future though, I hope enough players get it.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Actually the group convo system is kind of fun. Though only Bioware would make a game in the Star Wars universe, with literally uncountable race options, and give you five choices, two of which are Human. Lame. Lame. Lame.

I like what Star Trek Online did. A bunch of canon races to choose from and then "alien" where you get to make your own.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Adam28 said:
I kind of want to this just for storyline purposes. I would of been sold if the game didn't seem so black and white for the evil and good options. Sounds like if I choose to be a sith I'm stuck being one and my choices should be all be dark sided related, and the same vice versa.

Still, I really do want to check this out. I can't help but worry about it's future though, I hope enough players get it.
You can't defect (simply because they need to actual release the game some time this century), but you can be a light side Sith. Or at least less of an arse hole one, with the idea being that if you're born within the Sith Empire and are force sensitive, you're either forced to join or else you're killed.

Nimzabaat said:
Actually the group convo system is kind of fun. Though only Bioware would make a game in the Star Wars universe, with literally uncountable race options, and give you five choices, two of which are Human. Lame. Lame. Lame.

I like what Star Trek Online did. A bunch of canon races to choose from and then "alien" where you get to make your own.
There's 8, and they're all humanoids because they're the ones that speak English. A Wookiee sounds like a fun idea now, not so much after 200 hours of listening to him whine through every conversation.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Zhukov said:

I'd be pretty miffed if I wanted to ask a character for more story content, only to have one of my colleagues hit the 'just shoot him' option.
This is what I thought as soon as they announced that feature, but no one seemed to care. Bioware said something along the lines of 'yer if you want to choose light side and your friends choose dark side and win the roll that will a fun thing that can happen'

No it will be annoying and I won't play with them again. You shouldn't have to pvp over a conversation option.

But at least with leveling more classes you get another chance to see the story options.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zaul2010 said:
Zhukov said:

I'd be pretty miffed if I wanted to ask a character for more story content, only to have one of my colleagues hit the 'just shoot him' option.[/quote

This is what I thought as soon as they announced that feature, but no one seemed to care. Bioware said something as long the lines of 'yer if you want to choose light side and your friends choose dark side and win the roll that will a fun thing that can happen'

No it will be annoying and I won't play with them again. You shouldn't have to pvp over a conversation option.

But at least with leveling more classes you get another chance to see the story options.
If it relates to your class story no one else will choose an outcome for you, if its a Flashpoint or Operation (a raid) then you can replay it anyway.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
shadowmagus said:
tmande2nd said:

Can you explain why a monthly sub is a deal breaker? This may not be the case with yourself, but many cringe at the idea of paying a $15 sub, but are quick to drop 60 bucks monthly on a new release, or even 20 bucks on a sale on Steam.
Because you could get GW2 and not have to pay for a sub? XD

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Steve Butts said:
I see a lot of references to "Separatists" there. Are you really sure about that??

I'm not quite the SW fanboi I used to be in times gone by, but I'm pretty sure the Separatists were the ones that got caned during the creation of the Evil Empire.

I'm also pretty sure that there were only 2 Sith around during that time.

Not to immediately call doom or anything, but I'm not sure the consistency people have got their act together on this one.

<----- Is less hopeful than ever for TOR.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Storyline and character development - all well and good, but what point is there to it if all the characters will ultimately have experienced the same events and have developed the same backstory? Roleplaying happens because players have different play styles and experiences during their game, not because their characters were shoehorned into the exact same plot.

This is really what I am worried about, as the game might provide a "rpg" experience, it might just kill the immersion for actual multi-player role-playing.

Alchemist08

May 25, 2010
While this does look like an amazing game, and I would gladly shell out 60 bucks for it, it is not worth paying a monthly subscription. Maybe in time it will be able to stand up to the massive amounts of different content available in wow, but it won't at first, not by a long shot.
In essence, I feel like this would make the greatest single player star wars game ever made, but as an mmo, I don't see it lasting. Right now you only have 4 classes so to speak, from what i have seen the light vs dark side stuff pretty much matches up across the board except for some small unique abilities added in for spice. WoW has 10 fully unique classes, each with multiple play styles and playable races to boot. This offers a huge variation for pvp and raids, and dont get me started on how shallow SWTOR seems with its flashpoints or whatever.

I just, i don't know. 15 bucks is a lot to drop every month i want to even boot the game. WoW hasn't been worth that to me for a long while, and it has from what i can see right now, waaaaay more content to go through. I love rpg's but as an rpg Not an mmo.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Korten12 said:
Because you could get GW2 and not have to pay for a sub? XD
A mention of GW2 on a different MMO article? Shocking. This never happens, which isn't surprising because of the lack of quality.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Companions that look at your choices? Bioware have been forgiven of all my issues with them for that alone and is the first thing that has made me interested