MIT Radar Can See Through Walls in Real Time

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
MIT Radar Can See Through Walls in Real Time

It's like the beginnings of every HUD radar you've ever seen, but real.

Although we've had tech capable of "seeing" through walls for some time now (Eagle motion scanners [http://www.tialinx.com/eaglefamily.html], for example), nobody has ever managed to create a machine that can properly detect human shapes and movement in real time behind solid walls without irradiating everybody in its immediate vicinity. Now, however, a research team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has solved the problem by using radar technology to build an array which can "see" through solid walls in real time without giving anybody cancer.

Created by Gregory Charvat and John Peabody, the array fires microwaves at the target wall which bounce back to form a radar image on the array's screen. While upwards of 99% of the waves are absorbed by the concrete, the tiny percentage that does pass through and return to the array provides enough information to allow the users to see how many people are behind the wall, where they are, and whether or not they're moving.

Though this kind of capability is likely to worry privacy advocates everywhere, Charvat insists that the array will be at its most useful in combat situations. "It can basically tell if there may be a threat inside of a building without having to go inside there," he said. "It's for increasing the situational awareness of the urban war fighter."

The system isn't perfect, however. The image that appears on the array's screen isn't very clear, and the weakness of the signal means that the array can only penetrate eight inches of concrete. "We use microwave technology that's about as powerful as a cellular phone, so it's very weak," said Charvat. "[Visibility] may be able to be increased by more transit power or lowering the frequency. The lower you go in frequency, the better it is, but it becomes a resolution issue."

With that in mind, it is worth noting how young this technology is (the array is still hooked up to a gaming PC, after all). With the levels of attention (and funding) that are likely to follow a development like this, it would be reasonable to expect that the array will be refined and improved in the not-too-distant future. As Charvat noted, the military will probably be very interested in the various homes the array could find for itself on the battlefield. Still, it's hard not to think of Deus Ex: Human Revolution references at this point; are we headed for a future where machines can actually see through walls in real time? Will the military, police or other organizations be able to map out who's in your house and where at range? Most importantly, will the images be all golden and glittery and cool? Given the pace of current developments, we probably won't have to wait that long to find out.

Source: CNN [http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/18/mit-researchers-devise-see-through-wall-technology/]

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
And here I was laughing at Splinter Cell... Although I think their thing was some sonar based thing. Still, this is pretty cool.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
...So they can implement this marvellous (albeit impractically large) device to find the location of people, but a location-averaging algorithm to represent said people as crosses/squares gives them trouble? (At the base level, find all connected red points in the area, average their locations, and Bob's your uncle.)

In other news, I foresee the introduction of some very angular stealth armor if this becomes commonplace.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Something tells war in the future is going to be right out of a si-fi novel radar that can see through walls, cloaked plastic tanks with energy shields invisible snipers solders with badass anti-microwave armor and robots everywhere

another upside will be that the realistic shooter genre gets more interesting if all that stuff go's in to service

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm sure a bastardized version of this device will be appearing in MW4

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
omicron1 said:
...So they can implement this marvellous (albeit impractically large) device to find the location of people, but a location-averaging algorithm to represent said people as crosses/squares gives them trouble? (At the base level, find all connected red points in the area, average their locations, and Bob's your uncle.)

In other news, I foresee the introduction of some very angular stealth armor if this becomes commonplace.
Naw, they aren't having trouble, they just haven't done it yet.

OT, WANT.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I like to think that this could help save firefighters a lot of time and lives, that is, if fire doesn't somehow jam the sensors...

Go Future!

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
GaltarDude1138 said:
I like to think that this could help save firefighters a lot of time and lives, that is, if fire doesn't somehow jam the sensors...

Go Future!
So rather then try to guess which of the dots are combatants and which aren't, we just use it to figure out where people in need of rescue are?

Seems a better use of the device.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
can we just take a minute to talk about that guy's sideburns?
i think wolverine would be jealous.

OT: 5 years. that is my estimate for Batman.

theonecookie said:
Something tells war in the future is going to be right out of a si-fi novel radar that can see through walls, cloaked plastic tanks with energy shields invisible snipers solders with badass anti-microwave armor and robots everywhere

another upside will be that the realistic shooter genre gets more interesting if all that stuff go's in to service
we have the first four so far. the snipers arent INVISIBLE, just dont show up on heat sensors. and the tanks are still metal (plastic? really dude?) but there was something about cloaking, and anti-RPG sensors.
and we do have medical robots. i think we'll have healing-factors soon.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I'm fairly sure it was not a joke, but I just had to laugh at "Rather than using visible light to look through walls, which is not very effective ..."

In any case, this is pretty fascinating - I'd love to see it in action if they can extrapolate blobs into blips, then we can shove it on the pile of more awesome tech that's been showing up lately.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
omicron1 said:

Yeah, I think they should have taken the extra small time to implement that last feature before making this video clip. Would make it look a bit more useful at least.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Wow, science is picking up... we've mastered levitation, X-Ray Vision (with Microwaves), glasses-free 3D... I mean, I'm still reeling from frickin' touchscreens.
TrilbyWill said:
theonecookie said:

we have the first four so far. the snipers arent INVISIBLE, just dont show up on heat sensors. and the tanks are still metal (plastic? really dude?) but there was something about cloaking, and anti-RPG sensors.
and we do have medical robots. i think we'll have healing-factors soon.
What's so ridiculous about plastic [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071004143114.htm]?
hmm. i will respond with a joke.
what do you get if you combine a pair of revolutionaries?

Touche...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'm guessing privacy is just another way of saying "fuck you". Unless this device is heavily regulated I'm completely against its implementation.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Putting furniture of mixed composition behind that wall would be hell on the signal resolution. Plumbing (especially water pipes) would interfere greatly as well.

Also it probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between, for example, an aquarium and a human torso.

Perfected, the system would offer a reasonable guess as to how many people are in a space and roughly where they are. It really wouldn't be much use outside of battlefield or emergency rescue operations. Given the low power draw though, it could be a really useful thing to mount atop a transport vehicle like a humvee.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
(LK) said:
Putting furniture of mixed composition behind that wall would be hell on the signal resolution. Plumbing (especially water pipes) would interfere greatly as well.

Also it probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between, for example, an aquarium and a human torso.
Beat me to it.

However, if you were to sit there and watch the thing for awhile, anything you saw moving around isn't furniture. You don't need to know what it is if you are assuming any movement to be people.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
doggie015 said:
So let me get this straight... We have Bio Batteries powered by glucose and now the technology exists to give people wallhax IRL... Deus Ex Human Revolution is looking more likely to actually happen by the day!
And don't forget the monkey with the brain implant that makes him feel a phantom prosthetic. Or that car you drive using your mind...

Cool times to be alive, for sure.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
My immediate thoughts are what this does to privacy and what this will do to peopel's ability to resist their governments. My thoughts are big hits to both.